Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Brake Pedal Height

Post Thanks / Like

Brake Pedal Height

My brake pedal is 7 inches above the accelerator pedal. To me that's way too high and could even be dangerous. Can anything be done about it?
    Last edited by sebournd; 11-07-2018 at 07:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    They can be adjusted. I had a friend adjust mine so I am not precisely aware of the procedure but we were able to lower the brake and clutch pedal height quite a bit

2016-09-12 18.25.30.jpg

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    The picture above shows the threaded rods used to adjust the pedal height. The longer the threaded rod the higher the pedal will set. But remember, both brake rods must be adjusted equally in length and you don't want to adjust the pedal toward the floor so far that you loose total pedal travel. The adjustment is much more difficult with the body on but can be done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply's. My body isn't on yet and I see the easy adjustment. Both rods equal turn for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was at the build school this past weekend, rather than mounting the gas pedal direct to the firewall they put about a 1.5 inch spacer between the two to raise the pedal. This helped a lot in resolving the difference in height between it, the brake and the clutch. For the spacer they used a section of aluminum extrusion which can be seen in the image below. Note that the throttle cable is not connected to anything when the pic was taken so the pedal is laying on the floor at this point.

IMG_2471a.jpg
    Last edited by FF33rod; 11-14-2018 at 01:23 PM. Reason: added picture

6. Thanks wrp thanked for this post
    Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure about the hot rod set up but it is common for tall guys with roadsters to trim 1/2” off of those threaded rods and adjust all the way in. It pushes the peddles forward 2”. With MK-IV foot box, you can get that adjustment without bottoming out. No hot rod experience so take that information as a reference only.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can play with that pedal box a lot as long as you don't use the cable clutch. Pay attention to excessive thread protrusion in the yoke as that can bind up. You may have to trim some off. Depending on how you mount the reservoirs you can slide the assembly forward also. The problem with this pedal box is that the steering column also mounts to it and they don't work together for tall guys. I wanted the steering wheel back and a little more to the center of the car which is the opposite direction I wanted to go with the pedal box for foot room...
    There are floor mounted pedal boxes if you really need to make more room.

Post Thanks / Like
    The clutch needs to be set for what works with your left leg, brake and throttle set for what works with right leg.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1932 View Post
    The clutch needs to be set for what works with your left leg, brake and throttle set for what works with right leg.
    Makes sense!

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with 1932 about adjusting the clutch, brake, and gas pedal heights for what works for your leg and many times my clutch pedal is higher than the other two to accommodate fast shifting. But I would add there are some limits you want to be aware of.

All three of these have a unique total throw range. So don't mount pedals so close to the floor that you can't get full travel. The accelerator and clutch are easy to assess but when the brakes have been bled you can't assess full travel so make sure to set brake pedal height before you bleed the brakes and ensure you have full travel.

Also, on the accelerator and clutch pedals you don't want to allow more travel than necessary or damage will occur. Don't use your throttle body or carb stop as the hard stop on your accelerator pedal -- it's best to use an adjustable stop on the pedal. Same for the clutch -- don't use the clutch itself as the stop. And if you have a hydraulic clutch release (hyd T/O bearing) it's best to calculate the the pedal travel that equals max throw on the T/O bearing and make sure your pedal never exceeds this or you'll be pulling the engine / trans and splitting them to repair a leaky T/O bearing the first time you stomp on the clutch pedal. Pedal stops are easy to make.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Naz... I just installed the Engine/Trans Combo. What is the best way to calculate the Clutch Travel? I am off to Summit today to buy an AN-4 Line to run up to Pedal Box.
    Thanks, Larry
    FFR Hot Rod #1106