Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Compressed air distribution setup

Post Thanks / Like

Compressed air distribution setup

I'm getting the shop set up in anticipation of my Mk4 roadster kit arriving in early January. I installed a 4 post lift a few months ago, and my new air compressor just arrived (5HP, 40 gal). The compressor is going to be intalled in a closet next to the garage, and I'll be running a 1/2" line to the garage (~25' run) and a 1" line to the basement workshop (~150' run) using RapidAir lines to have compressed air available in both areas. However, I'm a little overwhelmed by the number of choices and different ideas on filters, regulators, dryers, oilers and whatnot that everyone says are "must have's" for a compressed air distribution system. So, can someone please bring some sanity to my world and share some best practices? What do I need, and where do I need it? (next to compressor, at POU, etc.). I'll probably have a 50' hose reel in the garage that will be the primary source of air, and a wall-mounted quick-connect in the basement that I'll plug an air line into whenever I need air down there. Help!

Thanks,
    John

qfbAsaX9RjeKIGrsFXpxjw.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I would try to plumb 2 or 3 drops in the garage maybe at the bench and at the garage door ( filling tires on vehicles outside) and then on the far side of the others. The last thing i want to do, is trying to drag an air hose from one side to the other.

All the tire shops i have seen have a water trap on the bottom of the air drops, and a way to open them to drain the water out. They also plumb the small lines from the top of the main line to control the water.

Also - using ball valves to shut off parts of the system
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like

Air System

There's as many opinions on air system design as there are (fill in blank). Here are a few of mine... and some pics of my system (before the shop remodel, but it was retained)

ShopAir_ 005.jpg
    A flexible line and master shut-off between the tank and the "fixed" feeders is a must. Vibration will crack hardlines.

ShopAir_ 006.jpg
    My compressor builder included these pads. They're 1" cork, sandwiched in rubber. It "decouples" the compressor from the floor/bench. Again, vibration.

ShopAir_ 007.jpg
    My compressor is up on the workbench, in an unused corner. I remoted the tank drain petcock to where it's accessible and I can hang a bucket to catch the condensate.

ShopAir_ 008.jpg
    Just off the main feeder is a drop-leg with a ball valve. This is a condensate catch/drain.

ShopAir_ 001.jpg
    My supply lines run up high near the ceiling, with several drops around the shop. The drops are plumbed like this - up/over/down - again moisture control.

Compressor 003.jpg
    I remoted the air intake(s) and filters up into the garage attic. No more "whumpawhumpawhumpa" in the shop. It's amazingly quiet now.

Some better pics after remodel:
    Summer2014_056.jpg Summer2014_057.jpg Summer2014_058.jpg

A few other tips:
    - All horizontal runs should have a downward slope away from the compressor, about 1/4" per foot.
    - At the end of a main supply run, there should be a drop with a valve and drain.
    - Install shut-off valves on each main feeder, and at the inlet of the hose reel. Be able to isolate "legs" of the air system for repair.
    - Don't install a tool oiler anywhere on the supply lines! If you need to use one, plug it into the system at/near POU.
    - Buy some dedicated "dirty" hoses and "clean" hoses - Mark them. Only use the "dirty" hoses with a tool oiler.
    Last edited by Fixit; 11-09-2018 at 06:48 AM.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an automatic purge valve on my compressor that kicks off once per day to get rid of accumulated water in the tank. I also have a dryer and regulator plus a shutoff valve between the compressor and my primary hose reel. The compressor also has two hose connectors, one regulated and the other unregulated. I hardly ever use those. My shop has two rooms, and I have a drop on each. Also, I went through a couple of cheap hoses before finally getting some Flexzilla hoses. They are awesome!
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone here has given some great input for a good garage air system. But if you are planning on doing any painting there may be a couple other things needed as well. I am not the one to tell you everything you need as I am still doing that research myself.

I have been going over to the forums at https://www.autobody101.com and chatting with them about it. There are some very smart guys over there that seem to know everything about painting. They also have this page... https://www.autobody101.com/content/...ng-directions/ , which is an awesome resource on painting.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017