FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lifetime Warranty on Craftsman

Post Thanks / Like

Lifetime Warranty on Craftsman

I broke a tooth on my old Craftsman 3/8" ratchet last night. Suddenly realized that the Sears Lifetime warranty doesn't pertain to my lifetime, but instead, Sears' lifetime.

Our Sears store closed earlier this year. oh well.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Lowe's won't honor the original Craftsman warranty? You may want to check.

From a Lowe's web site:

"Generation to Generation:
    A CRAFTSMAN Warranty*
    The CRAFTSMAN warranty is a dedication to a lifetime of quality and service for every CRAFTSMAN customer, generation to generation.

For more information, call 1-888-331-4569.

*Warranty varies by CRAFTSMAN product."
    Last edited by Papa; 11-09-2018 at 12:29 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Problem is that a nice old Made-In-USA wrench will now be replaced by a cheaper off-shore version. I have a huge collection of old-ish (30+ years) Craftsman stuff that I'll just try to take care of so that I don't have to use the warranty - may even try to rebuild things using other old versions, if I can.

As for new tool needs, I try to search out older stuff that is in great shape or buy Snap-On these days.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been impressed with Husky tools from Home Depot. They remind me a lot of the US made Craftsman tools from the past and they also have a lifetime warranty.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    The Craftsman line was purchased by Stanley Black & Decker at the beginning of 2017. They are standing behind the no proof of purchase on normal hand tools. Lowe’s is now honoring their warranties. Every time I go in there they have more and more Craftsman stuff. Eventually a complete line. Here’s a link from Craftsman on their warranties.

https://www.craftsman.com/customer-c...ty-information

So don’t oh well your Craftsman stuff.... 99 % of my stuff is Craftsman. Some older then I am...and that’s really old lol
    I’m pretty sure Craftsman will still be around for hopefully a few more generations. A feather in the cap of the big box stores.

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    Problem is that a nice old Made-In-USA wrench will now be replaced by a cheaper off-shore version. I have a huge collection of old-ish (30+ years) Craftsman stuff that I'll just try to take care of so that I don't have to use the warranty - may even try to rebuild things using other old versions, if I can.

As for new tool needs, I try to search out older stuff that is in great shape or buy Snap-On these days.
    Good news hopefully Chris, I just read a couple of articles that Stanley wants to bring back sourcing Craftsman hand tools back to the US. Let’s keep our fingers crossed!

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I've been impressed with Husky tools from Home Depot. They remind me a lot of the US made Craftsman tools from the past and they also have a lifetime warranty.
    Papa,

I grew up on a farm in Central Illinois and my dad had both Husky and Craftsman tools. I still have the 3/8 drive set he bought 50+ years go. Works great although I did shatter the ratchet with too long a cheater. Oops! They replaced it no problem. I agree the Husky tools are good quality.

Steve
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. I wasn't aware of who bought who, or what brand has bought what brand.
    I'll check with Lowe's.

I put a cheater on it to press in a bushing. It became too much for it
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a Craftsman ratchet break on me last week trying to bust loose a crank nut on a Honda. Broke the thin spring clip making it worthless piece of steel. After checking the craftsman website, they said to check Lowe’s or an Ace hardware. I took it to Lowe’s hoping they would replace it but they don’t carry craftsman hand tools. I then went to a Ace hardware store and they replaced it no questions ask with a brand new one. Original ratchet was 47 years old.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, you may also be able to get just the innards of the ratchet to repair it. When I worked as Sears in the tool department, many times we just repaired, on the spot, the tool with new parts. Not sure how all that is working now with Sears gone... Any K-Marts still near you?

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Gents, take a look at this piece I wrote from the SEMA show. Yes, SBD bought the Craftsman brand and is bringing manufacturing back to the US. They even bought the tool box company they use to bring it "in house". So you're going to see more and more hand tools and power tools with the USA and flag logo on them. Best place to get Craftsman is Lowe's and Ace. Soon they'll be available at Amazon as well.

Lastly, if you're a Craftsman Club member (I have since 1996) you need to go to the Craftsman.com website and sign up again. The purchase of the name/rights did not include the membership list. Sears retained that as a customer database.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/event...k-made-in-usa/

HTH...
    Mark
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    I worked at Sears here in Canada for almost 2 years after school in the hardware dept. Loved it. I had the same folks come in just about every 2 months and drop a 36 point ratchet handle on the counter and I'd pop a replacement drive into it free of charge. We always had boxes of the 3/8 and 1/2 inch replacement sets under the counter. It would take me about 30 seconds with a special pair of pliers to open the retainer ring. I have to say though, I've bought better chinese made 72 point double head ratchet handles 15 years ago that I have not been able to break. Not that I'm trying to but, all of my craftsman ones are busted. Some cheap tools can have some better metallurgy than the old craftsman tools. Lowes will look after the warranty. They bought the Craftsman brand last year for $900 million. I doubt they will have an over the counter fix like the old days though.

Post Thanks / Like
    CNIdog, Lowe's did not by the Craftsman brand, Stanley Black & Decker did. The tools are just being distributed through Lowe's (and Ace Hardware)...
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DadofThree View Post
    I broke a tooth on my old Craftsman 3/8" ratchet last night. Suddenly realized that the Sears Lifetime warranty doesn't pertain to my lifetime, but instead, Sears' lifetime.

Our Sears store closed earlier this year. oh well.
    If you send it to me, my sears is in business still. I can take it in and they will gut your wrench and install new hardened parts for free while I wait.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am waiting to see how this plays out. Good stuff can be made in China and crap can be made in the USA. Hopefully, Stanley's version of Craftsman will be up to the old mark. So far, from what I am hearing, it is going in the right direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure I agree Chris, I did some shopping this week at my Lowe's and it had hundreds of new Craftsman items but much of it was Cheaper China stuff. They even had a small 20 dollar LED light that a few months ago was rechargeable with a phone style USB charger but now is only available in the AA battery model. They cheapened the product to get the price lower. I understand why though. Its the name brand people recognize from their childhood and still want the stuff their dad or granddad bought. The thing is, all the stuff I look at is still kind of cheap feeling. Its hard to look past. I can get the same stuff at harbor freight without the marketing hype markup.