FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Transporting

Post Thanks / Like

Transporting

At some point this winter I'll be moving a Roadster from PA to GA, 12hrs mostly spent on 81 and 75. At 6'-2" I can not drive the vehicle built for a 5-8 driver. Seat, seat position, steering wheel, pedal box etc. should rectify the situation but I"m still not convinced I want to attempt the drive with only moving the seat back (which is all I'll have time for until I get it home). Even if it was perfect the prospect of 12hrs of interstate doesn't really seem that appealing, so from those that know better than I:
    • Is there even the remotest chance of driving it home?
    • Good shipping companies that you've used, I'm leaning pretty hard towards this option although I could haul it myself.
    • Anyone along 81 up for rescue mission if need be?

Thanks in advance for the wisdom, looking forward to member/owner-ship.
    S.

Post Thanks / Like
    I gather that you're acquiring a car that you did not build, and need to move it your own place.

I agree that you probably won't fit in a seat that built for a person 4-5" shorter than you. These are small cars. Adjustments of 1-2" make a big difference. If the seat is on tracks, simply move the seat back and climb in. If not, how hard is it to move the seat? If the builder used the seat mounts from Breeze, it might be a simple matter. If not.......

Don't worry too much about steering wheel and pedal placement. Those take a lot of effort to move around, even small amounts.

The big question is how reliable is this car? Do you really want to drive an unknown vehicle that far in the winter? I would seriously consider a trailer.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend of mine used Reliable Carriers to ship a vehicle from Northern California to just outside Detroit. I don't have the amount, but he said it was very reasonable. If you can be flexible on a delivery date, they might be a good option. I'm with Bob, if you don't know the vehicle history I wouldn't chance it, PLUS you have the weather to factor in. Or you could trailer it...

Mike
    Mark IV 7923 arrived 11-14-12
    DOHC 4.6L, Tremec 3650, 3 Link 8.8 w/3.73

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had cars shipped to and from me by Dan & Althea Joyner D.B.A. GTR Transport, a husband and wife team operating out of South Carolina. Several other members here have used them as well. Excellent service and communication.

http://gtrtransport.com/

Give them a call!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I've had cars shipped to and from me by Dan & Althea Joyner D.B.A. GTR Transport, a husband and wife team operating out of South Carolina. Several other members here have used them as well. Excellent service and communication.

http://gtrtransport.com/

Give them a call!

Jeff
    I believe they operate out of North Carolina. Not that it makes much difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely have the car shipped.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Reliable Transport several years ago to move my wife's Corvette from Ohio to Arizona. They picked the car up at our home in Massillon and put it in our garage in Tucson. The trailer was enclosed, so the winter weather was not an issue. I highly recommend them if you go this route!
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I’ve been buried getting my shop together and just getting back. For all the reasons mentioned she’ll be on a trailer or dolly. Really appreciate the recommendations on transporters, I’ll follow up with them this week. With any luck I’ll have a New Years project to christen the shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I drove mine from Savannah Ga to Annapolis Md about 11 yrs ago. Wouldn't even consider it now. It worked fine but dang it was NOT fun.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try uship to find someone..I like their system. They act as proxy and hold money until satisfactory delivery. I just used them to ship a 33 hardtop.

or call FFR's partner stewart transport.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Another option might be AT123 Auto Transport. www.AutoTransport123.com 888-885-9123 I guy at work used them with no issue and i might be using them in a couple of weeks getting my next project (52' 3100 Chevy Pickup) shipped form California to Upstate NY.
    Chuck Krueger
    MK4 Kit - Picked up 4/5/14, Complete Kit, 3-Link, Wilwood upgrade, Coyote, TKO 500, First Start 7/25/15
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont think a dolly will work, need to to make sure what tranny its got first!
    Walt
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all, especially Jeff, I'll be going with GTR. After dozens of calls/quotes Dan at GTR was clearly the one to go with. For less than other open carriers he's enclosed and fully insured (at least for my purposes) and super nice guy. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear it!

I will keep them in mind.