FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Thinking of converting Mk4 to rear exhaust - looking for guidance

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of converting Mk4 to rear exhaust - looking for guidance

Hi folks,

I have been driving my Mk4 for ~ 5 seasons now and I would like to convert from side to rear exhaust. I believe several builders have done this.

Any assistance, tips would be appreciated. I am considering 3" low profile oval stainless off the headers with low profile mufflers.

I assume there are no aftermarket off the shelf solutions for this?.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thx Matt.
    15th Anniversary Edition
    Mk4 - 18 month build (4 hrs every Sat), received Aug 2011, titled & registered May 2013, final in paint Nov 2013 - Ferrari blue
    FRPP Crate Coyote 5.0, tko600, Moser 3 link, manual steering & 13" brakes, upgraded coil overs
    koolmat then dynamat then carpet in cockpit - very solid, no engine heat transfer to cockpit and no road noise

Post Thanks / Like
    Search here and the other forum for 'undercar exhaust'. I think that is the most common phrase.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Matt,

I made the switch on my Mk4 after a few thousand miles, been very happy. I have a small block and on the advice Mike Forte, I built my system with 2 1/4 inch pipe. For mufflers, I went with spin tech cruiser series which are only 2 1/4 thick. I used Ford racing shorty headers, flipped to dump at the front. All the pipe and mufflers are stainless. I probably have 15000 miles on this set up. I ran all the way out the back. There are some photos on the “other” forum, but I don’t know if they are still there after the photobucket mess. I didn’t invent any of this by the way, only copied and built on what others did.

Here’s a couple of shots during the conversion that show the mufflers

5638E84E-53CA-4CED-B911-C7F30C6D3708.jpeg

DBB65555-2E2D-41A7-AC0E-BF804F2E8C91.jpeg

I’ll be happy to help.

Good luck

John
    Last edited by John4337; 11-10-2018 at 11:53 AM.
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Spintech sells low profile mufflers & many tubing solutions.
    They offer all sorts of bits that may be of use to you so check them out.
    Below is the link to their super low profile cruiser mufflers along with their round & oval tubing offerings:

https://spintechmufflers.com/high-pe...0-cruiser-low/
    https://spintechmufflers.com/exhaust-tubing/round/
    https://spintechmufflers.com/exhaust-tubing/oval/

Hope This Helps & Good Luck With Your Quest!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-10-2018 at 09:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw recent ad for oval exhaust pipe. I am sure ground clearance will be a consideration. I deleted the ad, sorry.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Vibrant performance makes oval tubing, bends, and adapters. Great stuff but pricy. Used to use it when making high end exhaust parts. There stuff tig welds amazing, but there are other lower cost vendors.
    Last edited by GFX2043mtu; 11-11-2018 at 11:19 AM.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.