Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Any iWire users who registered their 818 in Massachusetts?

Post Thanks / Like

Any iWire users who registered their 818 in Massachusetts?

I have printed the whole 218 page electrical manual. Thanks Ken.
    I have an inherited partially altered harness. Diet at no cost and much pain or iWire and $ 2,600.00 and no pain. I thought I could read schematics but maybe not. Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    I strongly recommend I Wire. It is worth the investment and peace of mind and it absolutely increases the resale value IMO. And, read Brian's warranty = amazing.

The quality of the fittings and workmanship is like "Gulfstream!"

Post Thanks / Like

Massachusetts conformance

Quote Originally Posted by BC Huselton View Post
    I strongly recommend I Wire. It is worth the investment and peace of mind and it absolutely increases the resale value IMO. And, read Brian's warranty = amazing.

The quality of the fittings and workmanship is like "Gulfstream!"
    I had a great conversation with a very knowledgeable and enthusiastic guy at iWire. My worry is in making my car conform to all the rules set out in Mass law, specifically the ones that say that my car must meet the 2019 emissions standards for Mass. Wayne VGP told me that his harness wonÂ’t work because he doesnÂ’t use the Subaru ECU. My hope is that I can find someone here in Massachusetts that has met the recent standards. I would to use as much COBB hardware and software as I can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hojo View Post
    I had a great conversation with a very knowledgeable and enthusiastic guy at iWire. My worry is in making my car conform to all the rules set out in Mass law, specifically the ones that say that my car must meet the 2019 emissions standards for Mass. Wayne VGP told me that his harness wonÂ’t work because he doesnÂ’t use the Subaru ECU. My hope is that I can find someone here in Massachusetts that has met the recent standards. I would to use as much COBB hardware and software as I can.
    My 818 with I wire harness (and Cobb Access Port) has been registered in MA for over two years. Passed MAC inspection as well three annual inspections with no issues. Happy to discuss further if that would be helpful.

5. Thanks Hojo, jmccoh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am smiling. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again for your quick response. I would love to see your car and help you with something you’re working on. I can come any day of the week. I was a pretty good mechanic in the days before electronics and am licensed as a construction supervisor by Mass. It feels good to help someone who helps me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hojo View Post
    Thanks again for your quick response. I would love to see your car and help you with something you’re working on. I can come any day of the week. I was a pretty good mechanic in the days before electronics and am licensed as a construction supervisor by Mass. It feels good to help someone who helps me.
    I'd also be glad to get together, both here and in Springfield. email me at [email protected] and we can make some plans.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dieted my own harness, did a very detailed writeup with pics of almost every connector and an excel spreadsheet that told what wires to remove from what connectors. In the end I decided to scrap the entire thing and go with an iWire harness. Definitely worth it.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for looking out Ivan and for kind words from the rest! If you send me an email I can probably get you in contact with some other guys in your area.
    When we say to our customers "if there is anything you need, please ask," we mean it.
    iWire Subaru Wiring Services
    Over 100 Custom 818 Wiring Harnesses Built
    http://www.iwireservices.com/factory...18-wiring-kits
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in West Springfield. Have an 818 with original front end, Subaru ECU and iWire harness. I had tried to diet harness but gave up and bought the iWire harness. I currently have front end apart because headlights on original front end were terrible at night. I can meet anybody in the area to talk about our cars.
    Davis

Post Thanks / Like
    Im in Andover with an iWire equipped 818S. Happy to help however I might, but I have not registered yet so cant speak to that specifically. You are welcome to see my car any time!

-Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Ben
    Did you go to the State Police inspection for the title and VIN assignment yet? If not try to get it titled as a "Specially Constructed Vehicle". When I got mine done in 2016 the Officer called it a Replica Roadster. Since it is not a replica of anything I thought it should have been SCV but I think the officer had never seen an 818 before.
    When you title it as a specially constructed vehicle the emissions stuff is based on the year of donor engine and parts.
    Davis

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CU9DZ View Post
    Ben
    Did you go to the State Police inspection for the title and VIN assignment yet? If not try to get it titled as a "Specially Constructed Vehicle". When I got mine done in 2016 the Officer called it a Replica Roadster. Since it is not a replica of anything I thought it should have been SCV but I think the officer had never seen an 818 before.
    When you title it as a specially constructed vehicle the emissions stuff is based on the year of donor engine and parts.
    Davis
    If it get titled as a replica roadster, what sort of emissions stuff would it have to comply with? It would be nice to have minimum requirement, but I have been proceeding under the idea that my car will need to be compliant with the year (2004) WRX that I pulled my motor from. I have stock ECU with the iWire harness, and have installed a new charcoal canister, cat, and O2 sensors, but I dont believe the entire gas tank recirculation feature is operational and dont know what that will do to the OBDII scan. At some point I will need to buy a COBB accessport and learn about what I can do with it.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have a Motorist Assistance Center near you (MAC)? When a normal car fails the emissions test it gets sent there. For our kit cars we will be sent there. I think in Mass the specially constructed vehicle title gets the emissions standard for the year of motor and a replica gets emissions standard for year it was titled. But verify this with the people at MAC .

Post Thanks / Like
    Replicas get the year of the engine block for emissions. My 289 was first registered in 2018 (and is considered a 2018 vehicle), but it has a 1965 block so I am emissions exempt. Paul Davis at MA DEP was very helpful in navigating the process.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    At first I thought the pricetag was pretty high for an iWire harness, but the more I learned about wiring and was able to understand what iWire actually DOES to produce these things, the more it sounded like an incredible bargain. I see why people go that route. Me, though, I'm a special kind of stupid. I lost track of how many hours and beers it took me just to get it apart. Now I'm slowly figuring out how to put it back together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomacncheese View Post
    At first I thought the pricetag was pretty high for an iWire harness, but the more I learned about wiring and was able to understand what iWire actually DOES to produce these things, the more it sounded like an incredible bargain. I see why people go that route. Me, though, I'm a special kind of stupid. I lost track of how many hours and beers it took me just to get it apart. Now I'm slowly figuring out how to put it back together.
    Well, you will know your harness in a way that I will never know my harness! iWire is an amazing product, but does not come with pride of construction! Good luck with yours!