FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: MK4 ordered - dream come true.

Post Thanks / Like

MK4 ordered - dream come true.

First off, disregard the user name. I made that a long time ago and had plans to do a hardtop coupe kit. This forum has convinced me to build the FF MK4 and I put down my deposit Friday. I’m really excited to get started. I think I pretty well know what I want, but would appreciate some input on the order list before it’s finalized.

Full kit MK4
    Powder coated chassis
    IRS
    Wilwood brakes all around
    Coyote crate engine
    T56 6 speed transmission
    4x1x4 headers and Flowmaster side pipes
    Leather low back seats and Premium top from FF (both to hopefully win over the wife.)

The biggest question I have right now is, will the the T56 be a good choice? I see most go with the T600, but I love the idea of the 6 speed for long drives.

Thanks for any advice offered.

Post Thanks / Like
    The six speed is the way to go. It's a big drop between 4th and 5th on a 5 speed. Since you're using IRS, it should fit just fine.

Did you get two roll bars? I'm not keen on the look of two roll bars, but I'll sacrifice form for function.

On that same note, consider high back seats. More comfortable, and safer. Fit will be fine with dual roll bars, too.

I spent a lot of money and a lot of time installing a soft top. I think I used it twice in 12 years. Most of the time it just just took up space in my trunk.

But if you do install the top, you should really consider a heater and defroster.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations!!!!! And welcome to the family!!!!

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

4. Thanks coupe d'etat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Bob and Kurt.
    I know I'm not going period correct on this car, but I'm struggling with the high-back seats - better in every way, I know, except in the way I think the car should look. I tore down completely a 1963 MGB with my dad when I was a kid and the image of that car is still in that special place in my heart. Maybe I should go with the low-back seat FF supplies with the car for now and decide between leather low-backs and the high-back later. The dual roll bars I think I may do.

Speaking of image, Bob, WOW! how do you like that 8 stack? I love the look of those.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations! It was a 12 year dream for me that finally came true. I'm with you on the seats, I just can't stand the look of the high back ones. My solution was finding a thread on here about headrests that attached to the roll bar. I like the minimal look of it, it doesn't get in the way, and can be removed as needed. Thanks to skidd for the inspiration.

"Doddmoore," Mitchell Moore on facebook, Follow Tonks347Cobra on Instagram
    MK IV Complete kit, SB Ford 347, Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 500, Moser 8.8 Solid axle, Wilwoods, Power Steering
    My Build Thread: Tonks347, The Baker's Build
    Slow and steady wins the race.

7. Likes coupe d'etat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe d'etat View Post
    Speaking of image, Bob, WOW! how do you like that 8 stack? I love the look of those.
    It was an awesome system. Made a boat load of power, and was very easy to drive. The look was something special, too.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on ordering your kit. I like Skidd's idea for the dual roll bar headrest better than the high back seats.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

10. Thanks coupe d'etat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I don't really object to the high backs, it's just not what I expect. Though the roll bars aren't expected either - I remember my dad's jaguar XKE and his Austin Healey, no roll bars. I do like your solution as it adds some level of safety, nice job!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cowan View Post
    It was an awesome system. Made a boat load of power, and was very easy to drive. The look was something special, too.
    Any pictures available? BTW, the FF rep is telling me they don't recommend the T56 with Coyote...

Post Thanks / Like
    ...the FF rep is telling me they don't recommend the T56 with Coyote...
    Congrats on your order and welcome to the party! Did they give you a specific reason? I'm doing a T56 with a Coyote in a Coupe (same as Factory Five has done on a couple of their Coupe builds) and other than only one choice for the bell housing (Quicktime) seems pretty straightforward to me. Others have put the T56 in a Roadster. It's tight, but fits. As already mentioned, usually recommended only with IRS, which you have on your list. You may have to move the side tunnel mounted e-brake and perhaps a minor mod to the transmission A-frame mount. Neither of which are a big deal IMO. Other than that, no reason why it shouldn't fit. The Coyote actually moves things forward just a bit from a SBF or similar, so that helps in the right direction.

Having said that, I have a TKO600 with a Coyote in my #8674 Roadster. Build thread linked in my sig line below. The 0.64 TKO version with 3.55 IRS diff ratio. It's really nice and I highly recommend it should you go that way. The Coyote has a nice flat torque curve starting at a pretty low RPM, plus loves to rev. This combination is happy whether driving around on city streets or cruising on the highway. The added .8-ish overdrive a 6-speed provides would be nice but can't say that I'm missing it.
    Last edited by edwardb; 11-12-2018 at 11:56 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any pictures available?

.boB "Iron Man"
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

15. Likes coupe d'etat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Congrats on your order and welcome to the party! Did they give you a specific reason? I'm doing a T56 with a Coyote in a Coupe (same as Factory Five has done on a couple of their Coupe builds) and other than only one choice for the bell housing (Quicktime) seems pretty straightforward to me. Others have put the T56 in a Roadster. It's tight, but fits. As already mentioned, usually recommended only with IRS, which you have on your list. You may have to move the side tunnel mounted e-brake and perhaps a minor mod to the transmission A-frame mount. Neither of which are a big deal IMO. Other than that, no reason why it shouldn't fit. The Coyote actually moves things forward just a bit from a SBF or similar, so that helps in the right direction.

Having said that, I have a TKO600 with a Coyote in my #8674 Roadster. Build thread linked in my sig line below. The 0.64 TKO version with 3.55 IRS diff ratio. It's really nice and I highly recommend it should you go that way. The Coyote has a nice flat torque curve starting at a pretty low RPM, plus loves to rev. This combination is happy whether driving around on city streets or cruising on the highway. The added .8-ish overdrive a 6-speed provides would be nice but can't say that I'm missing it.
    He initially said, it won't work. I replied with, I've heard that with the IRS it will, so he just said they don't recommend it. I don't know anything about the combination other than I've read that you can get "bind" with the solid axle? Apparently, with the IRS, the fact that the drive shaft doesn't move up and down prevents this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice, Bob! I like your set up and love those horns. Reminds me of the Ferrari's from the sixties.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, will you buy the Coyote through FFR, or somewhere else? It looks to me like FFR only sells the packaged engine and TKO transmission.

Post Thanks / Like
    He initially said, it won't work. I replied with, I've heard that with the IRS it will, so he just said they don't recommend it. I don't know anything about the combination other than I've read that you can get "bind" with the solid axle? Apparently, with the IRS, the fact that the drive shaft doesn't move up and down prevents this.
    Correct. With a solid axle and T56, the U-joints can bind or at the very least be pushed beyond their design limits. With IRS and the diff being solid mounted, not an issue. Still end up with a very short driveshaft, but it works fine.

So, will you buy the Coyote through FFR, or somewhere else? It looks to me like FFR only sells the packaged engine and TKO transmission.
    The engine packages that FFR is selling are basically commodity items and can be purchased any number of places. Often with free shipping. I get that guys like them assembled, included with their kit delivery, perhaps even want the support that FFR may provide. But there are lots of other options. I'm always a little amazed that guys are comfortable building a complete car but are afraid to assemble a clutch, bell housing, transmission and the rest of the bits needed. If you use a known and proven part combination, no big deal.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was wondering what the FFR "free assembly", "$500 value" on the engine package was all about. I'm already a little disappointed that my decision to buy a crate engine takes away from the enjoyment of rebuilding one with my son. I've done it many times in the past, so having an engine transmission assembled by FFR is of no value to me, unless they take $500 off the price for not having it assembled. Not an option, though.

A cursory search tells me I can get the Coyote engine from performanceparts.ford.com and the T56 from Forte for less than FFR is charging for the Coyote/TKO combo. Worth it, I think, given that I get the 6 speed instead of the 5.
    Last edited by coupe d'etat; 11-12-2018 at 08:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking you either have a spouse with no hair, or she doesn't go on long trips with you. And yes, if it were up to me...probably no top - my hair is mostly gone, anyway.

I will investigate the heater, defroster and wipers. I hear there is an issue with doing wipers and a glove box, though.
    Last edited by coupe d'etat; 11-12-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats. Roger

24. Thanks coupe d'etat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forums and enjoy the ride.

To be honest, Think Period correct but also make it your own, put the mods in there that YOU want. Mine was an 8 Year project as I just had the stripes put on last month. Dont rush, research all the options that you want and enjoy.

Bob
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, that’s the way I look at it. Lots of compromises, but still a great endeavor.

I have been hard at work on the research and David at FFR has been more than helpful. I originally wanted to go slow and just get the minimum with the full kit. I have made a 180 on that thinking and now the order sheet is easier described by what’s not on it. I like the idea of the discounts and savings on shipping, rather than worrying about having expensive items setting on the shelves for months. I need to do more research on the glove box modification to accommodate the heater defroster, but other than that I think I’m settling in on my decisions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post

I’m convinced, I changed my order and am now ordering the coyote/tko pkg from FFR. It appears the T56 is only minimally different and I like the tried and true aspect of the TKO600 in the Mk4. I’ll be looking up your build thread, I hear it’s the place to look when installing the coyote. Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by coupe d'etat; 11-21-2018 at 11:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and welcome! Enjoy the build!
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

29. Thanks coupe d'etat thanked for this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Coupe-D,

Welcome Aboard, But More Importantly Welcome To The Factory Five Family!
    The greatest thing about Factory Five isn't the car, though it is great, it is the experience and the people you will meet.
    As for the engine and transmission combination goes, every option is perfect because they reflect that person's Dream Car!
    As for me, I'm a fan of the 6 speed with the solid axle and am pulling it off, but I took a totally different path.
    Again, Welcome Aboard!

Why The MK-4 Is The Best Of What Factory Five Has To Offer:
    https://youtu.be/6ckgfkPU8Ss

Why We All Love The MK-4:
    https://youtu.be/_gBLUD-XoLQ

Steve
    aka: Go-Dad-Go
    From The Dark-Dart Side
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-21-2018 at 08:52 AM.

31. Thanks coupe d'etat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations and welcome. You won’t be disappointed with the Coyote-TKO package. Just got mine registered after a two year build and absolutely love it. I was going for a traditional look but not an exact tribute by any means. Added lots of options and custom touches and really enjoyed the process and the feedback from the forum.

No problem with wipers and glove box. There is a conflict with the heater and glove box. You can opt for a firewall forward option to minimize the interference. Also many ways to modify or make your own glove box.

Have fun and keep us updated.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

33. Likes coupe d'etat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Steve, I so feel like I’m 5 again and it’s Christmas Eve.

I will look for the forward firewall option, I assume it’s on the FFR parts site? It’s not offered in the initial order.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I assume it’s on the FFR parts site? It’s not offered in the initial order.
    Factory Five Racing doesn't offer the part; however, Factory Five Metal does:

https://www.ffmetal.com/#fwfw
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-21-2018 at 02:00 PM.

36. Thanks coupe d'etat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome.... Your fun is on it's way....

As far as the glove box and heater.... I have the FFR Padded Vinyl Dash w/Glove Box and heater... CLICK HERE is how I handled it... I DID NOT get the fire wall modification, if I had, I would have still had to do the modification to the glove box, but I would have had about 1 1/2" deeper glove box... Hope this helps or gives you some inspiration of your own...

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Yet another option, thanks! I do like the way the glovebox looks in the vinyl dash and I would like to drive the car in cool weather too - we have some of that here in Denver. So, I’ll make it work one way or another.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know I’m still at least 1½ months away from delivery, but I’m spending loads of time in the garage getting ready. I have a fairly large garage and ceiling height of twelve feet. Some time ago I built a loft up there with about 300 sq ft floor space, so I know I can lay out parts to store out of the way, but I also built some very sturdy and large capacity shelving last weekend.

I cut out the body buck panels and this weekend I have an electric wench coming from Amazon. I plan to store the body on its buck up in the open ceiling area. I’m thinking with enough organization I can still get the cars inside and be able to work in the third bay. I may wall off the project bay with plastic sheeting so I don’t have to heat the entire space.

Any suggestions for whatelse I can do to get ready are welcome. I need to distract myself from wishing it was January already.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve been trying to change my forum name but have been unsuccessful. So I don’t confuse anyone, I registered with a new sign on and name and may start up again under the name GTBradley - a little word play on the Bradley GT from the 70s.

Post Thanks / Like
    And here I am, anew.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    You mentioned using low back seat for the original look, I agree but a Coyote is not the original look. Unless you are going to track the car there is no problem with the "stock" seats.
    Kenny