Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: glovebox + heater question

Post Thanks / Like

glovebox + heater question

as I get closer to the much-anticipated 'ready' date for my mk4 roadster kit, I'm working to finalize some of the option details for my kit. One open question is whether or not I get the factory dash with glovebox option and/or the heater option. The Commander (wife) is indicating that she'd really like a heater in the car which, as I understand, would be in the way of the glove box. However, I see that FFMetal has a new 'firewall forward' kit for the Mk4 that moves the firewall forward 1.5". So I'm wondering if a firewall forward kit would allow me to install both a heater and a glovebox, and whether the firewall forward kit will fit with a Coyote engine which I believe sits more rearward than a SBF?

Thanks,
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    The Coyote sits further forward than the SBF. You should be fine with the firewall fwd kit. Not sure that the extra 1 1/2" will allow you to fit the stock glove box without some modification, but there are a number of ways to modify the glove box to work around the heater.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    as I get closer to the much-anticipated 'ready' date for my mk4 roadster kit, I'm working to finalize some of the option details for my kit. One open question is whether or not I get the factory dash with glovebox option and/or the heater option. The Commander (wife) is indicating that she'd really like a heater in the car which, as I understand, would be in the way of the glove box. However, I see that FFMetal has a new 'firewall forward' kit for the Mk4 that moves the firewall forward 1.5". So I'm wondering if a firewall forward kit would allow me to install both a heater and a glovebox, and whether the firewall forward kit will fit with a Coyote engine which I believe sits more rearward than a SBF?

Thanks,
    John
    John,

I have installed the firewall forward option with heater and the FFR dash with glove box. You will have to cut about 1 inch out of the front of the glove box and install a panel to block it off. I used some AL sheet to for the new front then flocked the inside of the box. From the outside you can hardly notice the step down in the glove box.

Glove Box.jpgHeater with Glove Box.jpg

Steve
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's great - thank you both!

Post Thanks / Like
    If The Commander wishes heat, you should also look into seat heaters. Some folks use heated jackets from the motorcycle world. Both will require 12V supplies, which are easy to install during the build.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi John,

The FFMetal firewall forward kit is not a direct fit when installed with the Coyote. The Coyote DS footbox aluminum is configured a little different to allow the wider engine to slip into place. The firewall forward piece is made as a direct fit with the non-Coyote DS footbox. Having said that, if you are handy, the piece can be modified. There are some threads on this forum that discuss installing both the heater and the glove box in a conventional FFR firewall. To accomplish this, you basically build a mounting box for the heater that sticks out into the engine bay about 2 inches. This mounts to the firewall and provides space for the glove box.

I have the heater/defroster, the Cobra heated seats and the heated motorcycle liner. Like any outdoor sporting activity, you have to dress properly. I did not opt for the glove box and find I can store everything in the door panel pouches and behind the seats.
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave - thanks for the heads up on the firewall forward kit not being a direct fit with the coyote footbox aluminum. Much appreciated! Yes, I've seen the thread where the 2" box was built to space the heater forward into the engine bay. That also looks like a good way to go, and an excuse to finally buy that box and pan brake I've been wanting to add to the shop.

For sure there will be seat heaters. I also come from a motorcycling background (BMW R1200GS Adventure) and I already have a heated jacket and heated gloves. Those are lifesavers when it's 30-40 deg outside! It would be very easy to have a couple of outlets or even little coax pigtails tucked under the seats to be able to plug heated gear into. We don't have a ton of rainy days around here, but the addition of heating options would greatly increase the number of days I could coerce the wife into joining me on a cruise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the modification that I did with my FF Padded Dash... I do NOT have the extra 1 1/2" forward so If i did i would have that much extra... but having said that, here is an option. CLICK HERE to see my modificaion

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a SBF, but here is what I did. I moved the heater to the middle of the firewall and have a full sized glove box. I originally wanted all parts of the heater on the inside of the dash. However, it made it very crowded and the fan was too loud. I have the fan in the engine compartment and the rest is inside. Works great.

I am also a fan of heated seats. Even in Florida, I use them quite a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    As of about two years ago, there is no difference between footboxes for any engine option. The only difference is the driver side front, depending on whether you install a Wilwood pedal box or a Mustang pedal box. Both are the same size, just with different cutouts. Typically both are included with your kit. Factory Five used to provide an inside wall piece for mod motors that provided more room for the engine (at significant loss to the driver's foot space) and then used it also for the Coyote. But that's no longer the case. The entire footbox was re-designed to provide enough room for wide engines and cuts back out where your feet go so that space is mainly restored. It's been tweaked since providing a little more space for the driver's feet on the left side. All Roadsters now come with this footbox sheet metal, and is intended for all engines including the Coyote. Since FFMetals has a relatively new owner and re-introduced the firewall forward mod, I have to assume it's compatible with the latest sheet metal. Just call and ask or perhaps someone with recent experience will confirm.

X2 the Coyote actually sits forward slightly compared to a SBF. An adapter plate is included for the transmission mount to accommodate the slightly forward location. X4 on seat heaters. Highly recommended and have my wife's enthusiastic approval. I like them too, just not always on the high setting.
    Last edited by edwardb; 11-12-2018 at 04:37 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    There was a FFCars.com vendor, selling a shallow, pre-made glove box, a few years back, designed to work with the heater installed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    There was a FFCars.com vendor, selling a shallow, pre-made glove box, a few years back, designed to work with the heater installed.
    Sounds like you're talking about Alex's Custom Roadster Interiors. http://acroadsterinteriors.com/Gloveboxes.htm. I used his standard glovebox and covering on #7750. Turned out nice. I've seen the shallow box version on a buddies car. Does what it's intended to do, but it's not hinged and is only deep enough for papers and not much else. Mainly to give the glovebox appearance. Not sure this is an option for the OP since it sounds like was considering the FF pre-made dash. Also I've heard/seen various accounts of whether Alex is still selling these items.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here you go. 2.5 inch bump out and sweat some elbows on the core tubes and you can have both. Paul2stl did it with a coyote and it worked too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RR20AC; 11-13-2018 at 07:03 AM.
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi John - I added both a glove box and the Vintage Air heater to my Mk3.1 build. As others mentioned, seat heaters are a great idea, too. For me, the heater was really intended to be used for defrosting the windshield with the top up. I've found that down into the 30's, with the seat heaters on, I can get more than enough warmth in the cockpit by simply adjusting the heat temp control without actually having to turn on the blower.

Here are a couple of pics - the first is my somewhat period-correct dash... a combination of S/C instrument layout and a glove box that I fabricated myself, starting with just the blank that was cut from the dash for the opening.

This pic shows the inside of the glove box - it's really just an aluminum panel that I covered with leather and screwed to the heater box. The ends (not visible) are bent towards the rear of the car and I used some weatherstrip edging to seal it to the back side of the dash panel. It's just over an inch deep, but more than enough for insurance and AAA card, tire pressure gauge, driving gloves for cooler weather, some spare foam ear plugs for passengers, and a few other odds and ends.

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I made my own glove box and heater bump out.

The bump out is 2.5". The glove box is 3" deep on the top and 4" on the bottom. Mine is aluminum and welded together but you could form it and rivet if you don't weld.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post276292

FYI... Used the supplied heater 90 degree elbows supplied and a 4-way shutoff valve.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 11-13-2018 at 03:16 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    I took a little more difficult route, using the supplied FFR firewall and blank dash... Glovebox

Scroll down for more installments.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021