BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gas Gauge troubles...

Post Thanks / Like

Gas Gauge troubles...

I have the Speedhut gauges and the Ron Francis wiring harness. My gas gauge has been calibrated and was working fine but now it has started to bounce all over the place. It will be on 3/4 then a few seconds later it is sitting on 1/4 then its pegged full. Its possessed.

I would assume bad ground of some type. If I recall correctly, the RF harness had one connection with fuel level sender and fuel level ground so the gauge was just plug and play.

Before I dig into under dash wiring, any other thoughts? Any experience with bad gauges or senders?

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Steve,
    I saw the same thing! Well not lately. Mine was flipping around at random, really spooky.
    And then one day it just stopped and it is working correctly. I am thinking it was something loose in connection. I tightened the tank braces and put some foam cushioning against the tank sending unit and dropped tank floor. This ways it would keep it tight from movement.
    Last edited by broku518; 11-12-2018 at 02:32 PM.
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

3. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine does the same thing, i also have speedhut gauges and stock sending unit, ive been told its because we dont have antislosh unit wired it to these setups.
    Walt
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

5. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've extensively driven two Roadsters with the Speedhut gauges and have never seen that kind of behavior. The needle moves around a little when starting and stopping, turning, etc. Including when driving aggressively. Pretty much as expected with gas moving around in the tank. But never to the degree you're describing. Something definitely isn't right. I would look in order at wiring, the sending unit, and the gauge itself. It's a relatively simple resistive circuit. Something loose or intermittent could cause the swinging needle you're seeing.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

7. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was having a similar issue a couple weeks ago. Swapping the sender for a new one cured it. The sender itself was probably fine for Ohm readings, but the plastic float had cracked. It was still attached but it was flopping around at odd random angles from the wire arm it sits on, so it read all over the place.

9. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Speedhut fuel gauge calibrated to a Ford sender based on their instructions never moves from full. I’ve yet to get this gauge calibrated. Very frustrating!
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

11. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is what im working on doing. WWW.mycoupe.ca the modules
    Walt
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

13. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    I have the Speedhut gauges and the Ron Francis wiring harness. My gas gauge has been calibrated and was working fine but now it has started to bounce all over the place. It will be on 3/4 then a few seconds later it is sitting on 1/4 then its pegged full. Its possessed.

I would assume bad ground of some type. If I recall correctly, the RF harness had one connection with fuel level sender and fuel level ground so the gauge was just plug and play.

Before I dig into under dash wiring, any other thoughts? Any experience with bad gauges or senders?

-Steve
    I've got the same issue. When the guage pegs or otherwise acts up, wiggling the fuel sender connector seems to set it right again - at least for a little while. This despite the connector being seemingly secure to the sending unit.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all. I’ll try a little wiggling and some pool noodle pressure this weekend. Highly technical stuff.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901