FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Aaaaaaaaaaarg

Post Thanks / Like

Aaaaaaaaaaarg

Well another driving season has come and gone without my car being done
    After I got it painted I was sure this year was going to be the year, but as life would have it I spent most of the summer on location for work and was only home for the weekends. Not a good time to go in the garage so the car took a back seat.
    This weekend I put left over headliner on the inside of the doors for a more finished look.
    Then remounted the frames, locks , door handle, latch cover plate and the hinge cover plate I had made.
    They are ready for mounting but I want to wait till after the dash is done.
    The big hang up is the airco tubing. Since I made a custom dash the small area for the tubing is even smaller.
    Working on a solution in my head.
    And of course my stalling issues that I have not gotten back to resolving at all.
    Also painted the window rim black and got the seal and caulking for it.
    Again waiting for the dash to be done...

Year 10 it is then........

John

F8072868-171E-4FDF-B195-D1E11A5DC0C0.jpg
    0B344ECD-BB0E-4796-80DB-B6FFB06F9855.jpg
    916FBBE3-E3BC-4D61-9145-E9039D3D950A.jpg
    Last edited by John Dol; 11-12-2018 at 07:03 PM.
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Dol View Post
    Well another driving season has come and gone without my car being done:frown2:
    After I got it painted I was sure this year was going to be the year, but as life would have it I spent most of the summer on location for work and was only home for the weekends. Not a good time to go in the garage so the car took a back seat.
    This weekend I put left over headliner on the inside of the doors for a more finished look.
    Then remounted the frames, locks , door handle, latch cover plate and the hinge cover plate I had made.
    They are ready for mounting but I want to wait till after the dash is done.
    The big hang up is the airco tubing. Since I made a custom dash the small area for the tubing is even smaller.
    Working on a solution in my head.
    And of course my stalling issues that I have not gotten back to resolving at all.
    Also painted the window rim black and got the seal and caulking for it.
    Again waiting for the dash to be done...

Year 10 it is then........

John

F8072868-171E-4FDF-B195-D1E11A5DC0C0.jpg
    0B344ECD-BB0E-4796-80DB-B6FFB06F9855.jpg
    916FBBE3-E3BC-4D61-9145-E9039D3D950A.jpg
    Perhaps this will help, take a look.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...hoses-Try-this

3. Thanks John Dol thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Fred, slick set up.
    I have to fit ducting to my center console which is curved

416B2173-6184-4B0A-851B-6EEC38E44FB8.jpeg

This means I have to mount a flexible sort of duct to the back side of it that willl conform to the curve.
    My thought is to use fiber glass to accomplish this but will probably have to take all the upholstery off to do that.
    If anybody has a better solution I’m all ears.
    Other solution is to use a male/female u shape which both get cut outs on the sides so it can curve and then nest into each other.

Thanks,

John

Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI

Post Thanks / Like
    And I thought starting my 7th year today on my Mk IV #7652 was taking some kind of ignominious record...
    Slow and steady will get you there!

CL
    Confidence: The feeling you have before you truly understand the situation. FFR 7652 Mk IV Base Kit w/IRS: ordered 10/19/2011; Arrived 11/19/2011. Coyote, Trans & headers Installed 9/11/17. First Start 12/19/17, First Go-cart 3/2/18. Aligned and go-karting. Working the interior now. Happy customer of FFR, North RaceCars, Forte's, and Breeze.
    Chris Lewis

6. Likes John Dol liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This means I have to mount a flexible sort of duct to the back side of it that willl conform to the curve.
    My thought is to use fiber glass to accomplish this but will probably have to take all the upholstery off to do that.
    Other solution is to use a male/female u shape which both get cut outs on the sides so it can curve and then nest into each other.

Thanks,

John
    Yes...a much more complex challenge! I'm sure you will solve it with elegance that matches the rest of your super work.
    fred

8. Thanks John Dol thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Ticket Ride View Post
    And I thought starting my 7th year today on my Mk IV #7652 was taking some kind of ignominious record...
    Slow and steady will get you there!

CL
    Ditto, my MK4 was about 6 1/2 years in the making before I got it licensed this year. Patience and getting it right is so rewarding when that day comes.

Keep the faith, - it’s more than worth it.

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

10. Likes John Dol liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hang in there, if it were easy everyone would do it.

12. Likes John Dol liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob McCrea View Post
    Hang in there, if it were easy everyone would do it.
    That’s the main reason I built a coupe, although harder the numbers are much lower then the Cobra’s.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks,

John
    3D print something?
    Tim.

Knowledge is good-Faber.

I'm so broke I can hardly pay attention-Me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TimC View Post
    3D print something?
    Tim that’s a great idea, will have to see if I can rustle up someone around here.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice dash!

17. Thanks John Dol thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pvc and 350-400 F and a little practice and you could mold it to any shape duct you need?
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just puttering View Post
    Pvc and 350-400 F and a little practice and you could mold it to any shape duct you need?
    I was wondering about using PVC electrical conduit, as you can heat that up in a heater box. Not sure what the heat rating is though.
    Also cpvc (liquid) maybe as it can withstand higher heat.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    John,
    I still have to finish this step myself, I have put almost 2000 miles on my car since finishing it (well getting it close) June. I have learned several things while driving it about my dash. Rev 1 was done in wood I drove it 1000 miles that way while redesigning to react to the little things I wanted better. I'm very happy with Rev 2. I have not connected my ducting what I have done is simply put the AC on full cold and now the heat on full hot. I ran one pipe to the pass foot box one to the drivers. I can tell you controling the the temp in the foot boxes is key. I dont believe Ill be pointing the ducting in the dash towards my body often. the air mostly goes out the window. I rove the car tonight for 40 miles after teh sun went down with a hat on. it was about 47 deg. I had the seat heaters on. a winter hat. and the heater. I was comfortable. if teh heater had been blowing at my body I believe I would have been cold as the air would not be there too long.

because of this Im reconsidering my ducting. I plan to 3D print something to control air direction (up, down windshield, some combination) for the ducting itself. I plan to mold a manifold from square pvc porch railing and pvc fencing. the flat profile should move air decent while mounting close to the firewall. Inside the main manifold, will be electronic exhaust cutouts. these will be used to direct air flow. or more like allow it or block it. this way i only need one trunk line and maybe 6 total valves. I'm building a digital controller to run the AC heat and air flow.

BTW. I really like how you finished the doors at the hinge. I still have to do that detail myself. I am planning to do it similar but was thinking of using Leather. Nice job. looks good!

21. Thanks John Dol thanked for this post
    Likes John Dol liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=forcefed1;347405]John,
    I plan to mold a manifold from square pvc porch railing and pvc fencing. the flat profile should move air decent while mounting close to the firewall. Inside the main manifold, will be electronic exhaust cutouts. these will be used to direct air flow. or more like allow it or block it. this way i only need one trunk line and maybe 6 total valves. I'm building a digital controller to run the AC heat and air flow.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...hoses-Try-this

With this simple duct,like the direction you are thinking, It is dead easy to cut doles for vents anywhere you want to. I am going to cut one for each foot box and include simple sliding flow control "valves.
    Your "real world" feed back is greatly appreciated, and instead of waiting to find out and having to go back and do the mods...I will do them now...with confidence.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm redoing my center console lay out to make things a little easier. Out of town for thanksgiving so will see when I get to that. Had to remove the upholstery and will have to redo that but it will be better overall. Plus I get my clock back, that I had to omit previously.
    I made a combo box for the heat and cool so you can do both through all vents. I have two in the footwells, two in the center console, and one on the drivers side left in the dash. They can all be isolated/closed individually to redirect more air to the driver when I'm driving alone.

John
    Last edited by John Dol; 11-21-2018 at 10:54 PM.