Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Using A Modified Donor Car

Post Thanks / Like

Using A Modified Donor Car

Hey all,

Wanted to get everyone's thoughts on using a potential donor car. After reviewing the forum, it seems like using a donor car is not the best idea, but the thought is the donor is with stock parts. I ran across a potential donor and he wants 4000 for it, which I feel is a steal given the new parts to the car.

Potential donor:

87 mustang being rebuilt for idea of drag racing, but never completed.
    -393 rebuilt with seasoned block and all new aftermarket parts, less than 500 miles on it. He states there is new alternator, pumps and radiator and not original
    -8.8 rear end with 3.73 gears, that was rebuilt in last 2 years, all brakes switched to GT disk brakes.
    -It has a rebuilt c5 transmission

Questions I had:

Would the above change anyone's opinion on using this as a donor vs buying new?

Any advice/things I should prepare for if I do go with a donor?

C5 vs t500?? Should I just look for a new transmission?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    I started with a donor. Ditched and went mostly new. The donor was tedious to disassemble, though I made some money on selling not needed parts. It was a pain to get rid of the chassis at the end. I GAVE it away... but would have paid to see it leave. Check out my build thread for more info on this. It was a lot of work for little return and I went a totally different direction... if you DO go donor... get something CLEAN.
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    " It has a rebuilt c5 transmission "

Do you mean a T-5?

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Olli View Post

Do you mean a T-5?

Olli
    That is what I thought, but he confirmed that is is a c5 automatic transmission.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, you could have a T5 manual transmission, a C4 automatic or C6 Automatic. Never heard of a C5??? Have you actually looked at the car? I'd probably make like Forrest Gump on this one...

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Olli View Post

Do you mean a T-5?

Olli
    I too question this. I have heard of a C6, and a C4 and a T5. But no C5. A t5 Was the common trans in those years.

To answer your question directly, If the modifications are what you would want in the car you are building ...then, sure go for it.

Be aware that, as others have said, you will likely replace lots of what you are buying.

I have always been an advocate for the donor car concept.

But honestly 14 years after the last donor car was built its pretty tough to find a good one .

I would be cautious heading down this road, you may spend more trying to save money than if you just bit the bullet.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    On the thought of using a donor car.
    I did that and it worked well for me. I bough the car for $3k and sold parts for more then that after taking the rear end, engine, trans and brakes.

I helps if you have a well optioned car so people that are rebuilding a Fox Mustang can use your after market goodies.

I redid the rear end with new bearings and por 15 paint, a new dif cover and obviously new fluids.

Took the engine apart and had it built with an Edelbrock top end kit from e-bay

The trans had a scratch to second gear. Sold it and purchased a new T5 from another forum member unused in the crate.

If you are patient you can build these cars for a lot less then most...…

Not saying this is the car to jump on, but it can be done.

HTH,

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Ford C5 automatics do exist.

They were primarily built in the early to mid 80's and are very similar to the three speed C4 automatics , but they have lockup torque converters.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to look up a c5 transmission. Apparently, it is a C4 with a lock up clutch to improve gas mileage built in the mid 80s. Was never stock in mustangs.

I am tempted to still use just for the rear end and engine, my dumb question is how does one get a non-rear end car out of a home garage??

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you know the car or the owner? Built as a drag car, has it had the snot runout of it? Also an engine built for drag racing may not make a good driving engine on the street, and 3:73 gears are not ideal for a light car. Just things to be aware of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wowzersyea View Post
    I had to look up a c5 transmission. Apparently, it is a C4 with a lock up clutch to improve gas mileage built in the mid 80s. Was never stock in mustangs.

I am tempted to still use just for the rear end and engine, my dumb question is how does one get a non-rear end car out of a home garage??

Mark
    With a flat bed trailer and a bit of creativity. I used moving dollies. It's a pain. IMHO he's asking WAY too much. I paid $3500 for an 87 body with a 95 GT roller motor, T5, new clutch, lightened flywheel, COBRA 5 lug conversion, Ford Racing 3.55 w/ track lock posi (3.73s are a bit high for a 5spd), strange axles, removable wheel... etc etc (point is EVERYTHING was upgraded)... this car is more expensive, and has less desirable parts. I'd be more inclined to steer you toward something with a 5 lug conversion (better wheel and braking options) and a manual transmission and such. You may be over-paying... no offense meant, just 2 cents from a guy who did the same thing.
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    If it is a serious drag race engine, it may not be suitable for the street. You will need to know what all of the components are.

On the paranoid side....

A drag engine with 500 miles = 2000 1/4 mile passes.
    How does it have any miles if it was "never completed"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Derald Rice View Post
    Ford C5 automatics do exist.

They were primarily built in the early to mid 80's and are very similar to the three speed C4 automatics , but they have lockup torque converters.
    Cool, you (I)learn something new everyday!
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for their input. This was the feedback I was hoping for!

Not gonna pull the trigger on it, my build is not going to start until next May, but from what I am hearing seems like it's worth it to go the crate engine route.

M

15. Likes TexasAviator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That auto trans has a 1:1 high gear which combined with the 3.73 rear would have that engine screaming 3,500 RPM to go 70 MPH.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I built an Mk4 using a 96 donor that I picked up for $2000. Regrettably it proved to be - to put it politely - very frustrating. The previous owner had dragged raced the car, making a number of cheap engine mods that were not readily apparent to me, and of no use in a roadster build. I am not a professional mechanic, and know little about mustangs. But I discovered that the previous owner had installed long header; installed larger injectors; put a blocking plate behind the Idle air control valve; removed the power steering and power brake components; butchered the wiring harness; installed an aluminum flywheel and drag racing clutch, and pretty much blew the engine, scoring two cylinders pretty badly. I couldn't use the mustang lower control arms because the ball joints were shot. Most if not all of the gauges were broken. I think the worst thing was that they installed a custom tune on the PCM. I spent well over $2000 on machine work and parts to rebuild the motor. And then I spent $400 on a BAMA tuner, to correct the tune that had been installed.
    I still love the concept of building the car using a single donor. If I were to do all over again, I would start with a good, stock, running mustang that is not showing any codes. I would then make the mods that I want to make, and there would be no surprises.
    Good luck with your build. In the end, you'll love the car.

18. Likes TexasAviator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I too love to hear all this firsthand feedback. I am planning on building my roadster with a donor, but it will be a very slow process. I chose to go donor for a few reasons:
    1. It was a convertible that the whole family can enjoy for a couple years
    2. It was inexpensive, in great condition and had more go-fast parts than the cost of the whole car
    3. I am planning a budget build, we'll see how rigorously I stick with donor parts vs upgrades, but I am doing my best to exhibit restraint :-)
    4. The years leading up to the build allow me to dial-in the combination
    In short, I think if you find a good deal/bargain, a donor build can still be a good option. We'll see if that turns out naive in the long run.

20. Likes TexasAviator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used a highly modified Fox 1990 that I got for a song (a few thousand on a credit card). It had a full coil over suspension, cobra rear gears and lsd, built engine, bad trans, but thousands in usable parts.

Broke down like this... I sold:
    1000 for engine and heads TFS 170 old school heads
    1000 for body and interior
    1000 for suspension kit
    tfs cam stg 1 100
    k member 500
    maximum motorsports driveshaft support 300
    exhaust and headers 100
    wheels and tires 500
    msd ignition kit 500
    driveshaft aluminum ford performace 100
    camber kit 100
    engine brace 100
    stereo jl audio amplifer and speakers 500
    and a bunch of other stuff...

What I kept:
    worth 2300 8.8 LSD 3.73 geared rear axle with girdle and disc brakes
    worth 100 Pedal Box
    Rebuilt t5 to t5z spec for 1000 with chromoly gears and carbon fiber blocker rings (syncros) with electronic speedo worth 2500 dollars new
    3 core aluminum radiator 300
    lifters, tray, intake parts, bolts
    trickflow balancer 32oz
    Complete COBRA 13" brake kit and booster worth 2500
    gas tank and sender refurbished 150
    fuel pump walbro 255lph 150
    msd coil 100
    yellow top battery 280
    and a bunch of other stuff...

Needless to say I paid the car back and saved thousands on the build and rebuild of parts. I have a 39000 dollar parts list but only spent 23000 minus the free stuff. I have less than 20K and my car is making almost 500 horsepower and completely built by me. I call it a non donor---- doner. I have the quality of all new parts but at the price way less. Good luck.

My build is in my signature. Check it out, I did a full build with pictures and a video journal. It required a great deal of patience and work. Its very different in the build department considering the quality of the build (power steering and power brakes) vs what it cost. While its not the fanciest build it certainly would rival many of the partial donor builds.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post
    I used the car as a donor so now it just sits and waits. Its such a nice body and interior i want to see it go to a Good home. Clean car fax and title. Have texas title in hand.

]
    Last edited by TexasAviator; 11-14-2018 at 10:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    That auto trans has a 1:1 high gear which combined with the 3.73 rear would have that engine screaming 3,500 RPM to go 70 MPH.

Jeff

True that …. But think of just how quick you would get there !

Post Thanks / Like
    Fox Mustangs have a big following and are considered classics these days. One worth using as a donor simply costs too much to make it viable. One that is cheap enough to use as a donor, doesn't have enough good parts on it.

25 year old wiring, radiators, and fuel tanks are asking for trouble no matter the mileage.

TexasAviator may be a rare exception. That car looks way too nice to be a donor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    True that …. But think of just how quick you would get there !
    But that may be as far as you go.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here's a video on the C4 and C5's.

https://youtu.be/D-Rzq5WO-MA

Seems the C5 was produced from 1982-1986 and was basically an upgraded C4.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wowzersyea View Post
    Hey all,

Wanted to get everyone's thoughts on using a potential donor car. After reviewing the forum, it seems like using a donor car is not the best idea, but the thought is the donor is with stock parts. I ran across a potential donor and he wants 4000 for it, which I feel is a steal given the new parts to the car.

Potential donor:

87 mustang being rebuilt for idea of drag racing, but never completed.
    -393 rebuilt with seasoned block and all new aftermarket parts, less than 500 miles on it. He states there is new alternator, pumps and radiator and not original
    -8.8 rear end with 3.73 gears, that was rebuilt in last 2 years, all brakes switched to GT disk brakes.
    -It has a rebuilt c5 transmission

Questions I had:

Would the above change anyone's opinion on using this as a donor vs buying new?

Any advice/things I should prepare for if I do go with a donor?

C5 vs t500?? Should I just look for a new transmission?

Thanks in advance

Mark
    Sounds like a great deal to me if the 393W is solid? Questions to answer would be what heads, cam, stroker kit, intake, distributor and carb were used and did a reputable shop do the machine work? My 2 cents. Scott