Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: coyote and TKO, high rpm shift question

Post Thanks / Like

coyote and TKO, high rpm shift question

For those of you who are running a coyote with a TKO, did you have your TKO upgraded with carbon fiber blocking rings (2nd, 3rd, and 4th) or are you just running the TKO stock as it came from Tremec? If you are running a stock TKO from Tremec have you had any problems with high rpm shifts?

I'm wondering if the carbon fiber blocking rings upgrade available from Bob Hanlon or Liberty Gears is worth it.

Thanks,
    Wibby

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Wibby,

The stock TKO certainly won't shift like your wife's Miata. I'm running a stock TKO600 in a Coyote powered MkIV. I have not considered any upgrades to the trany. Goods shifting comes with a well adjusted clutch and some practice. 2nd to 3rd can be tricky if you force it. The shift lever will naturally line up with 3-4 when in neutral. So I find the 2nd to 3rd shift is more a knudge out of second and a push into 3rd. Never miss....even at high revs.
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wibby View Post
    For those of you who are running a coyote with a TKO, did you have your TKO upgraded with carbon fiber blocking rings (2nd, 3rd, and 4th) or are you just running the TKO stock as it came from Tremec? If you are running a stock TKO from Tremec have you had any problems with high rpm shifts?

I'm wondering if the carbon fiber blocking rings upgrade available from Bob Hanlon or Liberty Gears is worth it.

Thanks,
    Wibby
    I have the carbon fiber blocking rings and Pro 5.0 shifter in my TKO 600 from Bob Hanlon. Haven't tried shifting over 6500 rpm as I'm usually grabbing the next gear before 6,000. I missed 3rd and hit 5th a few times before I learned to let the shifter do the shifting. I shift quick and probably without the clutch fully depressed from 1st to 2nd with no problems. I spent a lot of time dial indicating the bell and creating a pilot adapter, so if anyone has issues it should be me. My hydraulic slave is a pusher on the outside with a stiff fork due to the rest of my Frankenbell set up. I have an aluminum flywheel with Kevlar friction on 11:1 compression which may help also. I'm using Royal Purple synthetic something in the tranny. I had a good discussion with Bob before purchasing. You may want to talk to Mike Forte also.