Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: And so it begins

Post Thanks / Like

Talking And so it begins

Hi All,
    After dreaming about this for many years I致e decided that I its time to push the button on a Cobra. First a little about the handle, Ponymedic I just finished restomodding my second Mustang ie: pony. I am also a NYC Paramedic for the last 25 years, well you can figure the rest out.
    On to the project. I just ordered the MKIV initially the base kit but after reading feedback from others I think I知 going to switch to a complete kit. Plan is to pick it up (I知 about three hours away from FF) on my birthday in February. I know it would be easier to have Stewart deliver but I love an adventure. Much like Dave my plan is to build it with my son. He is 13 and has shown an interest in the other work so I am REALLY going to enjoy it. My dad never got the righty-tighty lefty-loosey thing down so I didn稚 get the opportunity to turn wrenches with him growing up. I have been spending the last few weeks get the nursery (garage) ready for the new baby
    Planning to drive on the street only, no quarter mile sprints. Current thought (subject to change) is a 302 carbureted crate engine with a five speed and a solid rear axel. Drilling down on the options but looking at Powder coated chassis, cutouts, chrome sidepipes, roll bar, sunvisors and possibly glove box. Unsure about bang for the buck on vintage gauges. But I am planning to visit the factory this Saturday so I知 hoping to see a car with them installed and talk to the pros
    Now for the questions from the group,
    I was also thinking about buying a used big block and rebuilding with the help of a machine shop but I知 not sure of a suitable donor vehicle.
    Going to be registering on long island NY and am a little concerned about making sure it passes on the first try. Not too concerned about cats since I知 going with an engine that could have been built before they were required. Windshield wipers (possibly speedway clip-ons). Portable defroster. I assume I will need reverse lights, but I am not sure how I can accomplish this. Has anybody gone through the process and can give some advice?
    Lastly for now planning to make a rolling body buck for the body but I am wondering if anyone as constructed a rolling dolly for the chassis. If so, I would love some pics or plans

Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. The four link is the best way to go on the street. If had it on my car 13 years , I beat the snot out over this time and have never has a problem with it.I wanted to go and pick up my car myself, but I didn't own a car or truck that could tow a large enough trailer.Have a great time.My FFR was my first car I built with EFI. It was a great choice . No gas smells in the garage when parked .Ran great all the time. Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the madness.... To answer your question about the chassis dolly... I'm extremely happy with the one I built... CLICK HERE and also once there, scroll down to post # 10 as well. The link to the plans is awesome, I just added an additional 5 1/2" of height by adding the 4x6 along with the 4x4. This made it really easy to move around under it while running electrical and all the fluid lines. Those casters allowed me to roll this around, turn it around so that the end I was working on was always near my tool box, etc. Where are you located?

IMG_1264.jpg

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    long island New York