Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  26
Likes Likes:  38

Thread: AZPete's 818 Build - Finished . . . I think

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

AZPete's 818 Build - Finished . . . I think

My 818S kit was delivered over 5 years ago so I’ve had over 5 years of fun building it - my second Factory Five build. It’s now so complete that I’m looking for what else I can add or upgrade, so it’s time to try to give back. I think I should pass along some things I’ve learned that might be helpful to other builders. In other words, this is a BUILT Thread – past tense.

For years, I’ve posted questions and answers in specific topics because they are easier to find than in Build Threads and now this forum doesn’t need more normal, “by-the-book” installs. So, this thread is about Extras that I hope will be useful to some. I think the fun is in the extras that are “beyond-the-book” that make our 818 cars unique handmade creations.

Most of the extras in my 818 were gleaned from this Factory Five Forum, both the Roadster and 818 sections, and a few are my original innovations as a pioneer with frame #25. (Not shown are a few brilliant ideas that turned out to be idiotic failures.)

My plan from the start has been to build a street car with some of the performance and comfort features of a production car. I built my 818 as a topless roadster, 818S, and enjoyed driving it. As soon as it was available, I bought the hardtop to make it a coupe, 818C, and upgraded to the new front also. I can convert it back and forth from a snug coupe to a topless roadster by lifting off the hardtop and mounting the roadster windshield and engine covers.
    It’s a blast to drive, but for me building is even more fun.

First, thanks to Factory Five Racing for their amazing component cars, attentive service, innovative engineering and the family of like-minded lunatics who build their own cars. Secondly, I thank all the FFR Forum members who have helped me learn by sharing their knowledge, experiences, successes, encouragement, warnings, failures and humor.

My 818 includes a 2006 WRX 2.5 turbo, 5MT transaxle, ABS brakes, power steering, air conditioning & heat, cruise control, Pioneer audio with Apple CarPlay, backup camera, windshield wiper with washer, power windows & locks, custom intercooler plenum, custom trunk, Boig exhaust, K-Tuned shifter, and a custom leather interior with glove box and door pockets.
    Last edited by AZPete; 02-13-2019 at 05:43 PM.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

2. Thanks Geoff H, turbomacncheese thanked for this post