BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  26
Likes Likes:  38
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AZPete's 818 Build - Finished . . . I think

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lance corsi View Post
    Pete, fabulous build! Question: how did you secure your hood hinges to the underside of the hood?
    I'm at the point of needing to permanently attach my hinge part to the hood and, seeing yours, it looked like studs were holding yours on. I couldn't believe you would run bolts thru the hood, so I just had to ask! It's always an option I suppose. Thanks. Because I've *******ized my car so much, I had to come up with my own version of hood hinges. Thanks for the clarification.

2. Thanks AZPete thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well said Lance and agree you have been an inspiration to many builders. My 818 is a light weight minimalist build but your creativity has the juices flowing as I am building my 64 Falcon with a 3.5 Ecoboost swap that is meant to be a fun road car. Thank you.

4. Thanks AZPete thanked for this post

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    I too plead guilty at employing your ideas - thanks for posting your goodies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dash Side Cover
    There's a big gap at the end of the dash that lets air in and can be sealed with a flat piece. I know you'll be impressed by my CAD technique (cardboard aided design).

Then, to seal the front inside edge of the door to the dash end panel, I made a strip of aluminum to hold a rubber bulb seal - the same stuff I used for the door seal below:
    Last edited by AZPete; 05-16-2019 at 11:54 PM. Reason: added photo
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

7. Thanks Frank818 thanked for this post
    Likes Bob_n_Cincy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Door inside seal
    There's a gap at the bottom and back of the door that lets air in and creates wind noise. I sealed it along the inside edge so when the door is closed the rubber seal presses onto the vertical surface of the side pod. It also gives the door a nice "thunk" noise when closed.

Last edited by AZPete; 05-20-2019 at 10:29 AM. Reason: changed "horizontal" to "vertical", sorry
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

9. Thanks Frank818 thanked for this post
    Likes Bob_n_Cincy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Door inside seal
    There's a gap at the bottom and back of the door that lets air in and creates wind noise. I sealed it along the inside edge so when the door is closed the rubber seal presses onto the horizontal surface of the side pod. It also gives the door a nice "thunk" noise when closed.

I would think the rubber should press on the vertical part of the pod, inside the door. This would prevent the rubber from rubbing on the top horizontal part of the pod. It will scratch my wrap. I'll keep a note of this and wait and see what happens with my current configuration.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

11. Thanks AZPete thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Frank, you are absolutely correct. I have edited the post to say that the rubber seal presses against the VERTICAL surface of the side pod, not the horizontal surface. Against the horizontal surface would not work at all because it would rub and make the door difficult to close and leave scratches. That's for noticing, Frank.

13. Thanks Frank818 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A nice improvement is a clever door stop that was an idea from the world famous Wayne Presley (http://www.verycoolparts.com). I haven't seen any mention of this on the forum in many years, so I feel I should publicize it for other builders. It's so easy to do and works so well, that I forgot about it. Hopefully this photo shows that all you do is drill and tap a hole in the hinge arm, screw in a set screw and add a locking nut. Now you can adjust where your door stops. It replaces the FFR door stop. Thanks, Wayne!

Last edited by AZPete; 06-16-2019 at 11:43 PM. Reason: photo

15. Thanks Frank818 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It’s also lighter than the FFR supplied limiter!

Post Thanks / Like
    Seat Mounting
    At first, I mounted my seats with bolts from the bottom, as many have done. Then, when I had to remove the seats to make some upgrades in the firewall, it was a royal pain to do without a helper so I cracked a beer or three to think. I found a way to mount the seats without having a helper under the car. To the bottom of the seats, I bolted a 1/8 x 2" steel strap, then bolted a 1/8 x 2" steel strap to the floor X-frame with a 3/8"gap so the seat piece fits under it. Then, I placed the seat in behind the final position and pulled it forward so that the two steel pieces overlap and lock together. Finally, I anchored the front of the seat with Rivnuts into the floor to keep it locked down in the forward position. This probably would not meet race specs, but it is more sturdy than the seats in my daily driver, and easy to remove & re-install working alone. Difficulty rating: 4 beers.

Last edited by AZPete; 06-26-2019 at 04:54 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like
    wow. i'd love to see this car in person...

what an inspiration!

19. Thanks AZPete thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love it.....Cardboard Aided Design.....that's great. Car looks real nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    I need a new FFR build!! I can't find anything else to add to my 818 and my wife says I should spend more time in the garage. I've put it up for sale because I need space in my garage and my wallet:

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ed-a-new-build

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hmmmmm, need a new project you say? What if I traded you my unfinished 818 for your nicely built one?

Kidding, but good luck on the sale! Looking forward to seeing your next build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting thought, though just kidding. I've built a FFR roadster and an 818 so next should be a type 65 coupe or a GTM. Still dreaming. First, I need garage space.

Post Thanks / Like
    My 818 was purchased by a forum member in October. A temporary project is a 2001 Porsche 996 that I'm restoring & updating but I'm still looking for a longer project. A first-world problem.

25. Likes jcpresto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the sale, I don't think there is any argument that your 818 is the finest build that is completed. The cars was beautiful and the new owner has a fine ride. Looking forward to your next build.

27. Likes Bob_n_Cincy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure how to PM but could you send me your AC pdf. Definitely need to incorporate AC in my build. Send to [email protected]
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Email and PM sent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Air Conditioning
    If you want more info, I made a pdf that shows details and an order list that I can send you if you send me a PM with your email address. It’s too big to send by PM or include here.
    I just received my kit, live in FL and definitely need AC! Could you send me that PDF? My email is [email protected].

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had PM'd you for that AC PDF as well, so while you have it handy would love a copy! [email protected]

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    AC PDF sent to Joe and Rob. Have a wonderful holiday season and happy building!

33. Likes Bob_n_Cincy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    AC PDF sent to Joe and Rob. Have a wonderful holiday season and happy building!
    Sent you a PM for the PDF

Post Thanks / Like
    Howdy, it seems AZPete’s PM box is full. If anyone could send the HVAC PDF my way, I’d appreciate it! [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    PDF emailed to awg0020. Sorry it took so long. I should look here more often. Happy building!

Post Thanks / Like
    Could you please send me a pdf for the A/C
    Thanks [email protected]
    Last edited by Ottw; 09-23-2021 at 07:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could you please send me a PDF for the hvac, thanks
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Please send me a PDF on your ac project, thanks
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    sent it to you ^

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12