FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Can not fill at the pump

Post Thanks / Like

Can not fill at the pump

Hi

I have a Boyd Tank on my 33 with a 2"dia 90 degree bend rubber filler hose and a FF stock gas cap. At first I put gas in from a gas can and had no problems. Now I have a 60 day temp plate to shake the bugs out of my 33 and I took it to a gas station. After 10 minutes I only managed to get a qt or two in the tank with some in my trunk. No matter how I turned the nozzle it would overflow or click off. I even turned the nozzle facing the curve and it only clicked off.

I read all the head aches over the FF tank, so I went with the boyd tank and I still can not fill at the pump. Anyone had a similar experience and is there a cure.
    My tank is vented with a roll over ball vent. I have driven the car about 100 miles and the fuel system works great. I run a 750 Holley with an external fuel pump on a return fuel system, regulator @6.5 PSI.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank You
    TomH33

Post Thanks / Like
    Check the 90* rubber hose bend, it may have collapsed. If your vents are not properly venting you may be creating a vacuum in the tank that would help collapse the inlet hose.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you using the vent that FFR supplied (small diameter fitting, white plastic) or the "big bore" vent available from Breeze?

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Boyd tank and it fills pretty decent. I still have to go slow not to overfill and spill onto the body, but its not like yours. l'm with Railroad, I think you have a vent problem.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are in cal, you may need to help with the fume recovery lip on gas nozzle.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are in cal, you may need to help with the fume recovery lip on gas nozzle.
    I see you are in co, mabe you have recovery lip or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same issue. I also have the Boyd tank. I've been adding fuel with my 6 gallon container with a pump. Something like this:

https://www.jegs.com/i/Allstar-Perfo...40117/10002/-1

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi

Thanks for the help. I ordered a new vent that is 5/8"ID, and should breath better than my old vent with 5/16 ID. I will mount this higher than the gas filler cap.

I will let you know how it works.
    TomH33

Post Thanks / Like
    My original kit tank and my original kit filler work fine. The issue I discovered is the FFR filler cap neck was too long extending the run of the line from the cap to the tank to a level or slightly negative slope. I shortened the neck of the cap so I could lift the rubber filler line up about an inch. Sorry the pics are not clearer. Essentially I shortened the length of the filler neck that runs down and I trimmed off the top of the rubber piece so in effect I steepened the angle of the filler hose. That seemed to help/work wonders.

2016-06-04 09.16.30.jpgGas Cap - 3 copy.jpgGas Cap - 3.jpg

Last edited by wrp; 11-17-2018 at 11:47 PM.

10. Thanks shmelty thanked for this post