BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Exhaust shop, flowmaster slimlines

Post Thanks / Like

Exhaust shop, flowmaster slimlines

Hello everybody,
    I recently purchased a MK4 with a coyote engine, I'm not happy with the exhaust sound and want to install some flowmaster slimlines. Im learning welding them to the FFR pipes might be challenging. I'm in San Diego and looking for a competent shop to do the work. Can anybody recommend one? Also, how can I get the finish to match? They don't come polished.

Post Thanks / Like
    You either have to polish them yourself, or take them to a metal polishing guy. I did mine myself. It is labor intensive!!! My friend took his to a polisher.....expensive.

I would recommend looking for a place that does tuner work, like installing turbos and making custom headers, rather than a muffler shop. You need someone that does show quality TIG welding.

I made a wooden jig up that held everything in place and put some match lines on so the welder knew everything was lined up perfect when he did the tack welds.

They quiet the car down and take the hash bite out of the sound. It will be worth the effort.

If your support tabs don't have a pad under them (older pipes), you can make them by cutting a couple squares out of the FFR muffler.
    Last edited by Avalanche325; 11-15-2018 at 05:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dbwy:

I can help you out if you want to drive to my shop in Santa Ana I can polish the slimlines and weld them on for you. The slimlines us a 4.5" muffler and your F5 pipes are 4" so its not a slam dunk. If you can call me at 781-929-2154 we can talk in more detail!

Post Thanks / Like
    A nice thing is the collector and turnout is 3 1/2” OD and the pipes are 3 1/2” ID. Fit them on the car, index them, tack them, check fit again before finish welding. I have the 30” and love them!! BTW I ceramic coated my pipes matte black and love the look!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ceramic coating is another finish option. That is what I did with mine.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked at the flowmaster site and the 30" slimlines are discontinued. The 24" slimlines are still available but on clearance. It looks like they are going to discontinue the slimlines altogether. I wonder if flowmaster will have a replacement. Anybody hear anything?

Post Thanks / Like
    I’d grab those 24” before they’re gone!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually the Flowmaster website says they are out of stock, not discontinued.
    Summit shows availability in December.
    This has happened in the past, I’m guessing they get made in batches and they occasionally run out of inventory.
    #8619. Picked up 5/27/15, First Go Cart 7/16, Finally Legal 5/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Norm B came up with a very clever mod to the FF side pipes, using Patriot auger inserts. Pictures of his work are in a thread I started last year, https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...for-side-pipes. I copied his plan, but instead of welding the exhaust tips back on, I reattached them using stainless band clamps. I also wrapped them with fiberglass cloth for good measure. It's an in expensive project, doesn't require great welding skill, and can be done in an afternoon. I think the car sounds much better. You might want to try this before you invest in the flowmaster mod.