Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Heater bypass

Post Thanks / Like

Heater bypass

I have heard and also saw another post that mentioned that the coyote always has the coolant that goes to the heater circulating. The FFV heater has the flow shut off when the heater isn’t on.
    My question is, is it bad for this motor to use the FFV heater set up? Could I put in a T and run a bypass hose so it is always circulating? Or would this make the heater not work very well when I want it?

Thanks,
    Mk4 ordered 1/3/18, IRS, Coyote, T56 Magnum

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Gen 1 Coyote in a 2012 MkIV. FFR heater installed with supplied control valve. I did not put in a 4 way valve for constant coolant flow to the heater. I have over 20,000 miles on the car with several longer hour/day roadtrips in the log as well as full on drag strip runs. If the cooling set up with the heater is doing any damage, there hasn't been any sign of it yet. I still have 100% confidence in the car and the drivetrain. Am I planning another road trip for next summer? 2,000 miles to the east coast (Canada) and back is on our radar.
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    The heater control valve in a Mustang (and I would expect for the F150 Coyote as well) is a 4-way design that allows coolant to continue flowing with the heater core bypassed when the heat is off. Ford's instructions for the Coyote state that if a heater is not installed, it's still necessary to have coolant flowing from one side to the other. "If a heater circuit is not used then the heater supply must be connected to the heater return to allow air to be purged from the right hand cylinder head and provide sufficient coolant flow through the right hand cylinder head." Factory Five has added this to their later Coyote installation instructions as well. The heater control valve Factory Five supplies with their fairly recently released Gen 3 Coupe Heat/A-C system is also a full flow 4-way design. It's a little interesting Factory Five is providing a heater option without this kind of valve. Have you asked them about it? Your choice of course, but the cooling system design by Ford is expecting coolant flow at all times, for the reasons they cite.

A little more background: The Mustang performance guys have reported some issues with overheating cylinder #8 in the Coyote. This is apparently the hottest running of the cylinders, and the first to overheat if any issues or if the engine is pushed hard. Probably far beyond where most of us are pushing ours. But maybe another reason to make sure fluid is circulating as it's designed. This thread, while about the bypass mainly, does discuss a little more and has a coolant flow diagram if you haven't seen one: https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...er-bypass.html. This article does a good job of explaining how the Coyote cooling system works. It's a little unconventional: https://www.diyford.com/ford-coyote-...ormance-guide/.
    Last edited by edwardb; 11-17-2018 at 07:09 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm muscling through this as well, and found this piece Heater Bypass Valve - Pull to Open The photo doesn't show a 4th port/return... hmmm.

I'm going to take a look at the 4-way valve FFR suggests for the Coupe kit.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to have water movement when heater is off. I like to bypass heater to keep heater out of cab- use a valve that keeps water moving but out of heater.

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed a 4 way bypass valve.

Jim
    Mk4 ordered 1/3/18, IRS, Coyote, T56 Magnum

Post Thanks / Like
    D5419333-60CF-4637-895D-6B97D28D935D.pngVintage makes an "H" pipe for the bypass. I used it in my Hot Rod.
    Last edited by CVOBill; 12-11-2018 at 10:30 PM.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using a 2nd Gen Coyote in my 70 Mach 1 restomod. I have been making diagrams for the cooling, AC, hydroboost, etc. In the upper right corner is the configuration I will be running for my heater core bypass. I ran the exact same setup on the 4.6L DOHC engine in put in my MK4, so I know it works. On the MK4, I found there was a output on the heater switch that was hot when any of the fan positions low, med, or high were selected. The heater switch output was used to energize the vacuum solenoid and let water flow through the heater core. The default was to bypass the heater core. Hope this helps, just one solution to consider.

Post Thanks / Like
    I copied "Fixit" post 248. his instructions are very clear and goes in easy.

Heater.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    For the Coyote engine, Ford recommends that water circulate from head to head. With that being said, without a heater, run a heater hose from head to head but add a restrictor in the hose. If you're running a heater, add a 4-way valve, such as in the diagram in post #8. This allows water to circulate through the heater or bypass the heater and circulate from head to head.
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 12-18-2019 at 09:26 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm planning to get the Electronic Bypass Heater Valve #50-1555 by Old Air Products, to bypass my Summit heater.