Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pre-Build Research

Post Thanks / Like

Pre-Build Research

Hi All,

I am looking to do my first build and am trying to nail down (as much as possible) the options and looks I'd like to incorporate into my final product. With that said, I have to admit I am not a huge fan of the side pipes (I know, crucify me now). This is partially out of practicality because I don't want to burn my, or worse my wife's, legs.

So here is my question - if I use the Coyote, is there a way to mount the necessary exhaust components so that it exits right at the exhaust cut outs?

Yes, I realize it will make it much louder, but with the right exhaust and highway noise I am optimistic it will won't be an issue.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think so. I guess it would be possible to custom fabricate something to fit into the available space. But anything that does even a little to control sound is going to develop a lot of heat in a small space. Just don't see how that's a good solution. Lots of guys have done undercar exhausts. That's what I'd suggest you look at if you want to lose the side pipes.

BTW, I ran my Coyote powered Roadster with open headers a couple times during the build (on and off the trailer going to paint, etc.) and I can't describe to you how loud it is. Shocking actually. Would be a tall order to make it acceptable IMO with only the available space inside the body cutouts.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Consider using the side pipe heat shields offered by several of this forum's sponsors such as Drummer Mike.
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    Look into under car exhaust. Others have done it, but it is a presents some packaging and fabrication challenges.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to each of you for the input. I think for simplicity I would go with the standard pipes. I am not adamantly opposed to them, but just wanted to see if there were any options to make it 'my way'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could you use the pipes from a 289 kit instead?
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!