BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Luggage capacity?

Post Thanks / Like

Luggage capacity?

Hi Y'all,
    I current have a Roadster that I built in 2012. Thinking about a more all-weather type car for traveling, with a hard top, AC, and power windows.
    The truck looked great for me, until I realized (at least I think) the bed would be too shallow to hold a couple suitcases under a tonneau cover.
    And I like the new Hot Rod now. So is the trunk large enough to hold 2 carry on sized suitcases in the Hot Rod?
    And what are you hearing about the windows, will they be truly functional?

Thanks, Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    The best advice I can give you is either buy a hot rod trailer or have a custom fuel tank made that sits lower and further back in the trunk.

I did the latter both for trunk space and for improved traction. My 7L Hemi will be hard to hook in a car under 3K lbs. I also swapped out
    the big hoop style trunk hinges for a compound hinge from a Mazda 3 and got gas supports in the bargain. In my trunk there would be
    enough space for a couple carry ons or a skinny spare tire but not all three.
    HTH
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    My girlfriend and I took a trip Labor day weekend and have plenty of room for luggage, side curtains and convertible top hardware in the trunk. I had Rod Tops make a boot for the top and it stays on the car. With the top in the trunk you have very little room.

IMG_2022 - Copy.JPG IMG_2023 - Copy.JPG
    Last edited by CVOBill; 11-18-2018 at 03:23 PM.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    As Dale recommended, I used the Mazda 3 compound hinges and had Boyd Welding build me a pair of custom fuel tanks that mount below the trunk floor. There is room for 2 carry-on bags for sure, and maybe for a compact spare - but I hadn't considered that idea yet. The trunk design is still evolving as I figure out what to do about a muffler. (Another of Dale's ideas was to mount a muffler behind the IRS / under the trunk, but I'm having trouble sourcing the particular muffler he suggested.)
    Keith

5. Likes Derald Rice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    DY
    Hope you don't mind a little thread jack but a lot of what I learned on here was from a different approach to a common issue.

Keith
    The CTS-V muffler I suggested might be sourced through someone like Cleveland pick a part or any of the other
    late model online vendors. The other source may be to find a CTS-V forum and buy some of their take-off parts.
    HTH
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all, good info.

Post Thanks / Like
    We built a false floor in the bottom back of the trunk, I have two custom 5 gallon stainless tanks with spigots out the bottom being built to install. Not sure about suitcases but I am planning on about 10 gallons of 90 proof.

Seq-17f5.jpgSeq-17h4.jpgTrunk-2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a luggage rack. I owned a 76 corvette in my younger days, and remember the rack that came on it from the factory. I ordered one from corvette-mods for around $200. It is almost a perfect fit for the trunk lid.
    I will post some pictures when I finish. Since the convertible top won't fit in the trunk... have to put it somewhere when on the road and want to do some top down driving. With the 3 point rear and my exhaust running out the middle of
    the back haven't found a good way to add a hitch.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just use soft luggage (think saddle bag inserts) that you can compress and fit into oddly shaped spaces.

For example: http://wingstuff.com/products/20086-...gl1800_2nd_gen

My wife and I took several 2 and 3-week trips on our Gold-Wing. We each had a saddle bag for our clothing and did laundry a couple of times during the trip.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget that you can alter the aluminum over the wheels to create a new small storage area each side. Can't find that post any more, but it was detailed somewhere.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    The boot sounds like a great idea!