Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Preferred Coolant For Iron Engines With Aluminum Intake & Radiator

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Preferred Coolant For Iron Engines With Aluminum Intake & Radiator

What coolant do you guys prefer for your "Iron Engines" sporting aluminum intakes and radiators?

• There are so many coolant types out there that they've got my head spinning.
    • My climate is mild so the car will never be winterized & stored.
    • Living in the Deep South has some advantages.
    • Hurricane Season Isn't One Of Them!

Thanks-N-Advance!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-17-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to try waterless

Post Thanks / Like
    I have waterless in mine and so far so good. I had to drain it once to replace the oil pan and water pump gasket but I used a clean pan and put it back in. If you've ever had water in your system there is a flushing chemical you have to use first which costs as much per gallon as the coolant. Once it's in the coolant lasts basically forever.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    For my street cars I use whatever the OEM recommends -- these are usually longer lasting types (none last forever). However, for my race car I use the tried and true 50/50 premix (I use Peak but choose your brand) ethylene glycol. It's relatively cheap and easy to get rid of. I also have to pull my engine every two-years for SFI certs so the coolant will never stay in there long enough to gel up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also use an anode plug that I replace yearly as it’s eaten away to deal with the galvanic effect of the dissimilar metals. Got it from Summit Racing and you just need a spare port (mine is in the lower intake). I also add VR-12 a “vitamin” additive for your antifreeze. It has slightly lowered my operating tempature...

Chris
    Last edited by cgundermann; 11-18-2018 at 10:02 AM.
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I went with the Dexacool (Prestone Brand) coolant.

I had that stuff in my old 1995 Corvette that I recently sold to a friend of mine so that he could get back into the Car Hobby.

https://youtu.be/svZX2BMSDEs

It is also in Baby Go-Dad's 2000 Camaro.

https://youtu.be/A5WUZgl6N5Q

Since those cars have iron blocks, with aluminum radiators I figured why not run that stuff since I've already used it.

Thanks For The Input Gang!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-18-2018 at 07:57 PM.