Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Question: How much did the Mk4 butt drop from Mk3 ?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Question: How much did the Mk4 butt drop from Mk3 ?

Just wondering. I have an early Mk3 and I'd like to drop the butt. Thought I've read that it was 2.5 inches somewhere on the forums but I'd like to know exactly. Thanks! -Ted

Post Thanks / Like
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

3. Thanks CNIdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't say exactly because I don't own either of these any more. But this is a similar side view of Mk3 #5125 (top) and Mk4 #7750 (bottom). It's a pretty significant difference. FWIW. One of the real noticeable things beyond just the overall appearance is the gas tank is quite visible from behind on the Mk3. On the Mk4, it's nearly hidden.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

5. Thanks CNIdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I believe it's two inches, which significantly reduces trunk space...

I just put a MKIV trunk on my MKIII and I'm very happy with the results!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

7. Thanks CNIdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dropped my MkII the distance between the two mount holes. In order to go that far I had to cut and weld the 3/4x3/4 tubes along the sides of the trunk.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have naked Mk3 and Mk4 chassis in the shop currently. The Mk4 is 2" lower at the rear cockpit wall, 2" lower at the curved bar running side to side ahead of the trunk opening and 2 3/4" lower at the quick jack/bumper mounts. Everything forward of the back wall is dimensionaly the same.

Something to keep in mind if your doors have already been fitted is that when you bring the tail down it will open up the gap at the back of the doors rather significantly.

Jeff

10. Thanks CNIdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I have naked Mk3 and Mk4 chassis in the shop currently. The Mk4 is 2" lower at the rear cockpit wall, 2" lower at the curved bar running side to side ahead of the trunk opening and 2 3/4" lower at the quick jack/bumper mounts. Everything forward of the back wall is dimensionaly the same.

Something to keep in mind if your doors have already been fitted is that when you bring the tail down it will open up the gap at the back of the doors rather significantly.

Jeff

Thank you! Just wondering if you could please measure the items A,B,C In the MK4 I've marked in green on this pic? Or a quick pic with a tape measure for scale?

InkedmeasureMk4-Trunk_LI.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    A---Mk4=6.25"..... Mk3=7"
    B---Mk4=5"..... Mk3=7"
    C---Mk4=7"..... Mk3=5"

Jeff

13. Thanks CNIdog thanked for this post
    Likes CNIdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    A---Mk4=6.25"..... Mk3=7"
    B---Mk4=5"..... Mk3=7"
    C---Mk4=7"..... Mk3=5"

Jeff
    Thank you very much! Just what I needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't notice my higher rear on my mk 3.1 until I get with other cobras. I did the mod, but bought too tall of a tire to be able to drop it. I thought it would bother me, but haven't thought about it too much once on the road. I'll eventually drop it, and waiting to do the body work until I do.
    Not really helpful; just thinking out loud
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

16. Thanks CNIdog thanked for this post
    Likes CNIdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Can't say exactly because I don't own either of these any more. But this is a similar side view of Mk3 #5125 (top) and Mk4 #7750 (bottom). It's a pretty significant difference. FWIW. One of the real noticeable things beyond just the overall appearance is the gas tank is quite visible from behind on the Mk3. On the Mk4, it's nearly hidden.

Thanks for the pics. This is the look I'd like to setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the drop butt mod looks better with the 17" wheels and lower profile tires. To compare, Here's mine with the perky butt and taller walled tires (275/60 R15) Eventually, I'll get that big tire into the wheel well to get the lower look. you can see the two bars in the first photo by the gas tank that I had welded in place to lower the rear quick jack bolts. It's set up to put the upper bolt into the lower bolt location.

20181020_071450 by D. R., on Flickr

20181020_071354 by D. R., on Flickr

Screenshot_20180614-230241 by D. R., on Flickr
    Last edited by DadofThree; 11-19-2018 at 06:49 PM.
    Dave

19. Likes CNIdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using 245/45-17 on the rear. Hoping they'll fit under the lip of the wheel well. If not, I'm willing to go narrower rubber.

Post Thanks / Like
    245 on the rear?? That is the smaller of the two most common front tires. Why?
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    245 on the rear?? That is the smaller of the two most common front tires. Why?
    :-) It's the rubber that came with the Mustang wheels I bought cheap.

PB210154.jpg ,PB210153.jpg

I'll upgrade if money permits. :-)
    Last edited by CNIdog; 11-21-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I must ask. Are those are used tires? I ask because they look similar to the ones I had on my build during the build. They were great to have during the build.

But when it was time to really get out there, I decided to bite the bullet and purchase New Tires. One of the BEST decisions I made! I could immediately see how much more pliable they were than the set I had. And during my first rain storm at 70 mph on a mountain curve, I was so glad I purchased them! Allow me to point out I too was/am on a budget. But some things are very good purchases.

Great Job on the build! Looking Great! Dave
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    I believe it's two inches, which significantly reduces trunk space...

I just put a MKIV trunk on my MKIII and I'm very happy with the results!

Which Guardsman Blue is that if I may ask? Looks great!!
    Build#1: MKIV Roadster #9320

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DadofThree View Post
    I must ask. Are those are used tires? I ask because they look similar to the ones I had on my build during the build. They were great to have during the build.

But when it was time to really get out there, I decided to bite the bullet and purchase New Tires. One of the BEST decisions I made! I could immediately see how much more pliable they were than the set I had. And during my first rain storm at 70 mph on a mountain curve, I was so glad I purchased them! Allow me to point out I too was/am on a budget. But some things are very good purchases.

Great Job on the build! Looking Great! Dave
    Yes they are used. Came off a Camaro that was in the tire shop I was visiting at the time. I just got the rims from another speed shop that was going out of business for about $90 each. Good deal and I was looking for some cheap rubber for the interim time I would be building. They sold them to me for $25 each, mounted and balanced. :-) Didn't know at the time I'd have to store the kit for more than 10 years. 4 house reno and flips, job changes, family issues and losing my 1st dream garage in the process and then getting/reno'g a winter retreat in FLA sucked up all my time.

Post Thanks / Like
    They're perfect for the build process I'm glad you're able to stay with it
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    I have serial 1004405 early Mk3 with IRS. I pulled trigger a bit early before I even had a real garage. Took me another 2 years to build my 1st dream garage with 3 bays, 10 ft ceiling with 10' wide 8 ' high doors and about 1100 square feet. Life kinda' got in way and now, many years later, I have another place and garage with a 2-post lift. My dream is to do a cross country run on Route 66 with an RV chase vehicle next summer.
    Last edited by CNIdog; 11-22-2018 at 03:26 PM.