BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trunk and battery drop box for roadster.

Post Thanks / Like

Trunk and battery drop box for roadster.

I've taken my roadster off the road for the winter and dropped off the body to Whitby Motorcars in Greensboro NC two weeks ago. First let me say that I was very impressed with the operation at Whitby and Jeff along with his staff have the expertise to do a great job on my car. I'm going with the Indigo blue and white stripes. I just fell in love with the 427 Cobra SC back in the day and saw Carroll Shelby driving around Watkins Glen in a CSX that was that color combination at it has stuck with me ever since.

I'm glad I had the 8 weeks of driving in gelcoat to get used to this type of driving. I was able to put on 700 miles and enjoyed it every mile

I have plenty of winter projects to do on the rest of the roadster in my garage and trying to decide how I want to finish the interior.

My first big modification will be to decide if I want to make the modifications to the trunk with a drop box and a battery box. Not sure if I'll ever use the added space since I will be driving for pleasure and not worrying about shopping bags and the such.

For those of you who have decided to keep the trunk original and not do the drop box mod, do you regret it? Or not worth the hassle for those of you that did do it?

I definitely want to modify the tunnel cover to have cup holders and some storage for stuff.

Comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I highly recommend the trunk mod. Well worth it. I've had one with and without, and with the limited space, certainly helps. I don't cut the frame rails (a whole other topic...) so can't put real big things in there. But doesn't matter for my use. Swallows up lots of little stuff. Hats, coats, detail cloths and product, sunscreen, tools, water bottles, etc. All the smaller stuff that rattles around in the trunk. Saves space in the remaining area for larger things like chairs, small suitcase, cover, top (if you have one), etc.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's most definitely worth the effort. I've done cars for guys who chose not to and they have all said in hindsight they wish they had the additional space. Like Paul I do not remove any of the tubular structure when I do the mod.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback.

Will do the dropbox.

Post Thanks / Like
    My build plan included the battery drop in the trunk. I wanted to keep the battery weight over the rear wheels and the battery out of site. I did not orginally include the drop trunk for storage. BIG oversight. This is one of the aftermarket mods worth every penny...and then some. I installed the kit after the fact (first winter project). It was a "pita" because I had the trunk area was finished with carpet installed aND glued. Its a huge increse in limited trunk storage space. Regardless of what you think you'll be using the car for, you'll be happy to have the extra capacify in the back. .
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all for the comments.

I will add both drop boxes over the winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just be sure to verify the drop battery box will fit your specific year chassis.... There are some differences... Just double check...

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'll throw my endorsment for Russ Thompson's dropped box too.

I added a cover; works great, if you're so inclined...:

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    No Brainer Mod on the dropped trunk.
    #9365 is months from even gel-coat miles, but picking up 1.5+ cu.ft. storage in otherwise wasted space is worth it.
    RT_Trunk06.jpg Trunk06.png
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021