BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wiring LED Halo Lights

Post Thanks / Like

Wiring LED Halo Lights

I need some help from all the electrical experts. I purchased replacement headlights with LED Halo lights. The headlights are plug and play. There are 2 integral Halo light strips with 4 wires (2 red & 2 black). The maker is United Pacific. I plan on running the Halo lights on a separate circuit with a switch so I could turn them on & off separately from the headlights. My question is what is the best way to wire up the Halo lights. I know that I can run a wire from the battery with fuse to the switch on the dash and then wire to each set of Halo lights with ground. Is that the best way or is a relay needed. That's where it gets dicey for me. I don't exactly understand the need and workings of a relay. If I need a relay, a wiring diagram would be useful. See pics below of the front and back of the headlight.IMG_2900 (1).JPGIMG_2901 (1).JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    There should be no need for a relay due to the low current needed for the lights. You might reconsider taking power directly from the battery. Forgetting to turn of the lights might leave you with a dead battery

Post Thanks / Like
    I just wired them to the daytime light circuit.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    No need a for a relay with these LEDS. They probably only draw like 200ma each, total less than 1 amp. Make sure to wire each light set in parallel, not series.
    I would find a power source that is hot with Key On, then install a switch off of that. Any Key On Hot circuit should already be protected by a fuse, but double check whatever circuit you choose.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    No need a for a relay with these LEDS. They probably only draw like 200ma each, total less than 1 amp. Make sure to wire each light set in parallel, not series.
    I would find a power source that is hot with Key On, then install a switch off of that. Any Key On Hot circuit should already be protected by a fuse, but double check whatever circuit you choose.
    Thanks for the help. I just wasn't sure if I needed to use a relay. I will wire it up per your suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BobsMK4 View Post
    Thanks for the help. I just wasn't sure if I needed to use a relay. I will wire it up per your suggestion.
    Always better safe than sorry. Relays are typically used for a high amperage circuit, switched on by low voltage... hence the relay. As everyone before me said: Any circuit already fused should support it, but try to use something related to the Day Time Running lights, if you can.

You can connect the red wires together and connect to power. Same with black and then to a ground.

Have fun!
    Last edited by TheBabyBadger; 11-19-2018 at 05:58 PM.
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I got those same lights and plan to have them "always on" serving as daytime running lights. They look great on the car, but I am in the middle of a major overhaul (to include wiring) so haven't wired up the LED ring portion yet.