Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: any tips,tricks or advice installing a gen 2 coyote crate with a tko600

Post Thanks / Like

Cool any tips,tricks or advice installing a gen 2 coyote crate with a tko600

Hello all! I'm getting ready to tackle on the engine install and just wanted to see if any of you with experience has any tips or tricks or even advice regarding this coyote install that will help me. so far the the only thing I've done in the engine bay is installed the breeze front battery tray so I know I have a long way to go but I have most parts already for the engine trans install at least I believe I do.

Parts ive collected so far:

-gen 2 crate coyote from summit racing
    -ford control pack
    -krc power steering setup
    -moroso oil pan
    -moroso overflow tank
    -mustang gt 2016 starter
    -ford alternator kit
    -intake parts "via factory five coyote install instructions"
    -Russ Thompson gas pedal for the Coyote Controls Pack
    -factory five full headers
    -factory five coyote install kit
    -factory five engery engine mounts
    -factory five efi fuel setup with pressure regulator
    -tko600 with all the parts needed to install that Forte parts connection put together for me.

Maybe you can help me and direct me to the correct coolant hoses I would need to purchase? I'm using the ffr rad.

any tips on wiring? I have the factory five Ron Francis harness.

Thanks to you all in advice and hope you can help me get through this install as this will be my first time installing an engine ever.
    Last edited by Bayfunktionkev; 11-18-2018 at 02:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty much read EdwardB's build thread of his last MK4 linked in his signature and it will tell you all you need to know.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott beat me to it. My #8674 was configured a lot like you've described. The build thread link is in my sig line below. Scott's build thread, linked in his sign line, also has tons of great information and his experience. For wiring instructions, you'll need the RF harness instructions (mainly the schematic) you already mentioned, the Ford Performance controls pack instructions, and the Factory Five Coyote installation instructions. Between the three, most of the details are there. But there are some choices. My build thread shows what my choices were. You can pick and decide what works best for you. You don't mention which gauge package you selected. My build was with Speedhut. If you choose Autometer, there will be some differences. Good luck. We're here to help however we can.
    Last edited by edwardb; 11-18-2018 at 10:19 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

4. Likes Ducky2009 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Install the engine and trans as one unit. Not mandatory, just easier.
    Mark IV -- 04 Mach1 Donor -- 4.6 DOHC -- TKO 600 -- 3:55 Gears -- 3 Link - Hydroboost PS & PB -- 13" PBR's Front & 11.65's Rear -- Cuesta Wiring -- Thompson Signals -- FFR Radiator, heater, wipers, and catalytic converters -- Metco DS safety loop -- Forte 7/8" front bar -- VPM 3/4" rear bar -- Champ road race pan -- Corbeau A4 Seats -- Nitto NT-05's on 17 x 9's.

Post Thanks / Like
    You will also nee to dial indicate your bell housing before you install your TKO 600. It is not difficult, a few special tools needed though. There are many videos on youtube. I liked the video on American Powertrain's channel. If you skip this step and you have trans problems later your warranty will be voided.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    just a few thoughts based on my own experience:
    1. check the PS pump pulley alignment. Even if it is off by just a little, it's easier to adjust that outside the engine bay.
    2. Space will be severely limited once the engine is in place, so ensure you've installed everything you can prior to dropping it in place. Like fuel lines. Or leaky brake lines. Or drilling holes in the frame so you can mount PS and/or cooling system reservoirs.
    3. If you are doing a mid-shift, you may need to address contention with frame cross members in the transmission tunnel. They're easier to address without a transmission in the way.
    4. Edwardb and Wareaglescott are great resources. Do what they say.
    5. Double check your engine crane to ensure that the hydraulic cylinder isn't leaking. MY HF 2-ton was fine during the install, but something let go after that initial use. They were good about it and I got a whole new crane, but it could have been ugly if the cylinder crapped out during the lift.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    ...... My #8674 was configured a lot like you've described.
    Only one thing to double check. I used Paul's part numbers and the lower radiator hose didn't work. The lower radiator hose outlet changed somewhere along the was. My kit was delivered Feb 2017 and the lower outlet (with radiator installed) is parallel to the ground. Paul's is perpendicular to the radiator body, thus angled downward.

Question is, when was your kit delivered?

Paul can probable better explain how they are different, made by different suppliers, approx timeline.... or something like that.
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 11-19-2018 at 01:47 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcuz View Post
    You will also nee to dial indicate your bell housing before you install your TKO 600. It is not difficult, a few special tools needed though. There are many videos on youtube. I liked the video on American Powertrain's channel. If you skip this step and you have trans problems later your warranty will be voided.
    JR
    I thought I read somewhere that dial indicating a Coyote was not possible?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky2009 View Post
    Only one thing to double check. I used Paul's part numbers and the lower radiator hose didn't work. The lower radiator hose outlet changed somewhere along the was. My kit was delivered Feb 2017 and the lower outlet (with radiator installed) is parallel to the ground. Paul's is perpendicular to the radiator body, thus angled downward.

Question is, when was your kit delivered?

Paul can probable better explain how they are different, made by different suppliers, approx timeline.... or something like that.
    Good point. Factory Five used AFCO Racing radiators for many years. My #8674 Roadster was delivered with the AFCO piece, but not long after (late 2015 / early 2016) Factory Five started shipping a different radiator. It's not marked with any supplier, and is packed in cardboard typically used for imported parts. So I suspect that's what it is. Form/fit/function is the same, except that the lower radiator hose connection is now angled versus straight. That's a good thing because it eliminated the interference with the front of the chassis 4-inch tube and tie down. But also made the details for the lower radiator hose in my build obsolete. If I were doing one today, I'd recommend the cool tubes from Boig Motorsports. Nice mandrel bent parts that fit nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by bluse View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that dial indicating a Coyote was not possible?
    You can dial indicate it, just can't use traditional offset bushings to fix it if it's out of spec. Ford's design has the two of the bell housing mounting bolts going through hollow alignment dowels. Probably not a bad idea to measure it. I'm going to with my Coupe build in the next couple days. Hopefully to confirm it's in spec. I've done a couple before and they were OK.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    After I purchased the lower hose DAYCO 71713, but with a different radiator, I made it work.

See my post # 61

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post277499
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 11-19-2018 at 09:37 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035