Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: TKO 600 upgrade

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

TKO 600 upgrade

I am trying to overcome yet another setback in which my rebuilt T5 is most probably kaput. Seeking those who have swapped a T5 for a TKO 600. When designing the drivetrain during the pre-build process, I made the decision to have my 87 5.0 T5 rebuilt by Bob Hanlon. At the time, based on my driveline specs, Bob noted the trans was worth rebuilding. Since then, I have a pretty stout 331 and it's always worried me if the transmission would hold up. My driving habit is a weekender car where I may WOT next to that rice burner every so often. I don't bang the gears or slip shift.

My first major setback I had to overcome was I had simply built too much compression into the engine. This resulted in having the mill completely torn down and rebuilt to a more street friendly engine package. Taking on the original engine build myself was a calculated risk in that I have never built an engine before but I wanted to learn. Let's just say I have the world's most expensive SBF. That problem is now behind me.

I had the tear down performed by a local mechanic who is semi-retired. I had to twist his arm to take on the work and probably should have stepped away since his heart wasn't really in it. That's all water under the bridge now but personally speaking, I've had to redo/recheck a lot of his work. Most notable is I have been chasing an oil leak at the bell housing which I think I have a pretty good hold of at this point.

Now the problem;

I would notice (1100 miles driven thus far), a slight whine coming from the transmission whenever I either "got on it" OR traveling for any distance down a highway in the overdrive 5th gear. Thinking maybe the transmission would whine when hot, maybe the case was down on fluid. I had plans regardless to pull the transmission regardless to inspect the main seal and flywheel bolts (mechanic red thread locked them) to look for more oil leaks and when doing so, I decided to check the fluid level in the trans. After noticing I could not feel any fluid on my finger in the fill hole, I decided to drain it completely. I opened up the drain plug expecting about 2.5 quarts of red ATF Dex to come flying out only to see about 2 tablespoons of the blackest of black fluid seep out. Obviously, my heart sank into my chest knowing the reason for the whine was the case was completely dry.

I digress;

I don't know where 2.5 quarts of fluid went. It's a question I will soon figure out I suspect. My mind has two general thoughts at this point.

1. The transmission was leaking somewhere other than the tail housing. I say this because I have my eyes on the tail housing ALL the time.
    2. The mechanic who rebuilt the engine pulled the drivetrain as one unit and delivered the car back to me with an empty trans case.

It really doesn't matter at this point the reason for the failure as I already know the transmission would need to be repaired or completely rebuilt. In facing a big decision I have seriously considered the notion of ditching the T5 for a brand new TKO 600. That I believe comes with some cause and effects such as;

1. I will need a Quicktime bell housing.
    2. I will need a different clutch.
    3. I think I will need a different yoke.

My biggest concern is installing the TKO into a driveline package without removing the motor. My task today is to pull the existing T5 (with bell housing) from the car so I can further inspect. In doing so, I am scratching my head if fitting a TKO into this space is even doable. I DO NOT want to pull the motor. Just too many things go sideways when that's done (ask me how I know).

So my inquiry to the gang is this doable? Should I rebuild the T5 again? Is there anything I have not thought of in what I will need if I do decide to upgrade.

RickP
    Last edited by RickP; 11-19-2018 at 08:27 AM.