FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: San Clemente DMV for SB100?

Post Thanks / Like

Question San Clemente DMV for SB100?

Just Checking to see if the San Clemente DMV is still the approved solution for getting an SB100 number?
    Historically they have been great, but I haven't heard anything lately.
    Since today is the 7th anniversary of the delivery of my Mk IV, I figured I should get on with it, and get this beast on the road!

TIA
    CL
    Confidence: The feeling you have before you truly understand the situation. FFR 7652 Mk IV Base Kit w/IRS: ordered 10/19/2011; Arrived 11/19/2011. Coyote, Trans & headers Installed 9/11/17. First Start 12/19/17, First Go-cart 3/2/18. Aligned and go-karting. Working the interior now. Happy customer of FFR, North RaceCars, Forte's, and Breeze.
    Chris Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Chris,

I've been there a few times for SB100. The second time (after the renovation) they weren't as well versed, but as long as the manager is involved you should be OK.

Have ALL of your paperwork with you: receipts from FFR, your ownership cert from FFR, receipts for your motor and transmission at a minimum. You will have to fill out a statement of construction and a few other items. The last time I was there I got (2) single day exemptions for driving to the 3 inspections(!).

CHP will be 1st. I trailer-ed the chassis to CHP for the VIN tag. I used Officer White at the Orange CHP office (2031 E Santa Clara Ave, Santa Ana, CA 92705). He used my frame ID for the VIN so no ugly blue tag riveted to the frame. Next is Brake and light inspection. I used Chapman Auto Repair, 807 Chapman avenue. They do a thorough job and make sure you are SAFE to go. I highly recommend these guys, as they act as a good second set of eyes on your build.

Last stop is BAR. Golden West has a real piece-of-work as their inspector. I ended up going to Rio Hondo and speaking with a nice gentleman there who allowed me to place the cert on the 2x2 bar in the cockpit on the passenger side, opposite side from the frame #. A nice, dry, out-of-the-way place that doesn't ugly up your firewall.

HTH,

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    David:
    Thanks for the tips on the local places that you have had good experiences with. I have the PDF of the instructions for all the paperwork needed. And you answered the other question that I had, but had not yet asked, which was "once you have your SB100, can you drive the car locally?". The one day exemptions answered that. Hoping to get progressed enough to shoot for a number this year. I assume there are still numbers left, as they haven't run through all of the 500 the last 2 years. Just got the leather on the dash, and installing the instruments.

Getting closer, step by step...
    CL
    Confidence: The feeling you have before you truly understand the situation. FFR 7652 Mk IV Base Kit w/IRS: ordered 10/19/2011; Arrived 11/19/2011. Coyote, Trans & headers Installed 9/11/17. First Start 12/19/17, First Go-cart 3/2/18. Aligned and go-karting. Working the interior now. Happy customer of FFR, North RaceCars, Forte's, and Breeze.
    Chris Lewis