Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Motor side panels.

Post Thanks / Like

Motor side panels.

I am embarrassed to ask (because the answer is probably simple), but is there a trick to fitting the engine side panels without scratching up the suspension components. I am old, have looked at openings, tried to get panels over the suspension, but so far have failed.
    Do I stand on my head and spin, jack up the car, take off the suspension, or what? I am sure there is an easy solution, so please make me feel foolish.

Thanks, Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It’s like a Chinese puzzle. Tilt the rear up, go over the front bar. Bring the panel out towards the ball joint just enough to clear the rear bar and slide it in. That’s how it works on the 33 and think the truck is the same.

Once you do it, it will become second nature.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Henry, thanks. It appears from your description that the wheel is all you need to remove? Correct?
    Does the '33 have the separate fiberglass radiator cowl piece? If not, it may be a little different.
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ralph, yes, just the wheel needs to come off. The 33 is probably bit different. Hopefully someone with a 35 will chime in.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    What gives me a little pause is that the Beta Manual (pages 413-415) shows the installation of the side panels with the suspension components removed. I hope that is not necessary. I would cut the panel up before doing that.

Thanks, Ralph

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    it's not necessary to remove the suspension to get the panel on... you do have to do it just right though...you do have to "SLIGHTLY" bend it around the suspension to get it to slide on there... you need to have the wheels off and if have the front end jacked up a bit it will help... hard to describe in text .. but you lay it somewhat flat or even down even with the rotor , as you slide it over the suspension rotate the panel along the long axis and short axis 45 degrees... then you will need to "help" it around the first suspension component it runs into... after you get by that one it will almost jump into position... it took me a few tries (6 I think the first time)… make sure you get a system in place before paint!! I put foam noodles on mu suspension for final assy... but it is possible!

FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Eric, are you recommending painting the panels on the car as a final assembly operation, or just have a specific plan worked out to mount them after painting?. Since I will be using full fenders, I may just cut out the area below the fender line. I really can’t visualize how this can be this difficult.
    What was somebody thinking?
    Thanks, Ralph
    Last edited by rponfick; 11-20-2018 at 11:36 PM.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    no I am not recommending that at all! . I am saying make sure you get a handle on how to install them before you paint the panels (since you will be painting them off the truck) - it sure would be bummer if you scratched them all up trying to learn how to install them over the suspension.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, thanks. After re-reading your comment, I thought that was what you were suggesting. I have already scratched up the suspension components, so they will need to be repainted.

The more I think of this, the number of times you have to test fit and adjust/trim the side panels, and try to get them over the suspension, the less sense it makes. There must be an easier solution.

Thanks, Ralph
    Last edited by rponfick; 11-26-2018 at 11:18 AM.