Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LED conversion is not going well...........

Post Thanks / Like
    What about the third wire going to the lights? You have the ground, the tan we just spoke about, and the third for either brake/parking/turn........would that need anything??
    Build#1: MKIV Roadster #9320

Post Thanks / Like
    The ground circuit is common to the whole car - EVERYTHING shares this.
    The Brake/Turn circuits are mechanically isolated via a switch(s)... read that air - no mechanical connection.
    The common interconnection factor is the parking light circuit which is through the headlight switch, dimmer rheostat, and who knows what else... that at rest is still mechanically connected/touching via various gizmos, but not energized.

The wonkyness on my particular instance was the parking light circuit.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Any Progress?? Curious minds want to know...

2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Not yet...... body coming off the car during the paint process. I’ll take back to complete carpet etc. I’m going to address your suggestion at that time as it will be easier access to the wiring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am a bit more than confused why the Ron Francis Wire people, the Proud of their product people, have not chimed in and given all us minions the correct, permanent fix....

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a bit more than confused why the Ron Francis Wire people, the Proud of their product people, have not chimed in and given all us minions the correct, permanent fix....
    They built the harness with incandescent bulbs in the design... 80+ yr. history - run voltage/current through a coil of tungsten and it glows - predictable and proven.
    Enter affordable LED's in the last 10 years, produced/offered by who knows, using one of a myriad of methods to illuminate them... enter possible backfeeding via reverse voltage breakdown.

7. Likes mburger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyAndy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    They built the harness with incandescent bulbs in the design... 80+ yr. history - run voltage/current through a coil of tungsten and it glows - predictable and proven.
    Enter affordable LED's in the last 10 years, produced/offered by who knows, using one of a myriad of methods to illuminate them... enter possible backfeeding via reverse voltage breakdown.
    Reality check... As I stated earlier, I'm running running the same exact LED bulbs (same source, same bulbs as best we can tell), same solid state flashers, same RF harness, same switches, same wiring scheme, in #8674 and do not have a problem. Has worked successfully from day one with no hint of backfeeding. Now hibernating after two driving seasons.

Somewhere in this mystery story there's going to be a cause and effect. Just a matter of finding it. LED's will work with this setup. Of course some type of defect with the RF harness is a possibility. But the RF harness itself works. Not sure what anyone would expect from them. I find the headlight switch an interesting possibility. It's a widely available Delco piece. Would cost $25 or so to see if that's the problem.
    Last edited by edwardb; 11-28-2018 at 05:27 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have another switch!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you visually checked the bulb sockets? I remember on one of my builds, one of the turn signal fixture's was bad. The insert with the bulb contacts was out of alignment. Long shot, but maybe worth looking at? Have a look at the alignment of the bulb contacts as well, maybe one or more are slightly off?
    Last edited by rich grsc; 11-30-2018 at 06:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    Have you visually checked the bulb sockets? I remember on one of my builds, one of the turn signal fixture's was bad. The insert with the bulb contacts was out of alignment. Long shot, but maybe worth looking at? Have a look at the alignment of the bulb contacts as well, maybe one or more are slightly off?
    I have had that also. That could be a problem here. Let's say one of the rear 1157 bulbs should have T/S on contact A and brake light on contact B. But they are swapped because of the socket. So now, the T/S signal ends up going to both sides of the car.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    The pins in the socket should align directly onto the pins on the bulb........ I’ll take a look at that. Maybe.... you never know!! But every light function works correctly in the correct location on the car. When I get the top off again I’m going to dive into this.
    Last edited by stevant; 11-30-2018 at 09:29 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12