Thanks to everyone for your comments, still learning this paint thing but hopefully I will get it figured out.

Ron,

I was using a Summit Racing high build primer:

This high-quality primer is a flexible acrylic coating for priming metal, aluminum, urethane, and plastic. It provides excellent filling and hiding properties, and is quick drying, plus, it offers superior adhesion. The primer's high solids formulation means faster build and easier sanding. If you want a better finish for your painting project--first, use Summit Racing® high build primer.

And Summit Racing Paint, Single Stage, UV Stable, Acrylic Urethane, Gloss, Black:

Summit Racing® single stage paints are top-of-the-line automotive and fleet color systems. These single-stage urethane topcoats are available in a variety of color packages. Urethane paints are catalyzed systems, offering a premium finish with exceptional durability that far surpasses enamel-based systems. Manufactured with top-quality raw materials and advanced technology, these paints will never yellow with age. They are designed to be used in a single-stage application or in combination with a urethane clear coat (except hot rod black) for additional durability and gloss. Summit Racing® single stage paints are also highly resistant to harmful UV exposure, dangerous chemicals, everyday weathering, and aggravating stone chips.

It might have bee contamination from the denatured alcohol, the primer was dry as I sanded it smooth then cleaned with alcohol but may have had more on micro fiber cloth on the drivers side. I cleaned the passengers side first the drivers side but started painting the drivers side first, then moved to the passengers side. The passengers side had more time to for alcohol to dry before putting the color on.

Never painted before so this is a first time for me and a learning curve to get it right. The good news it was only one head light bucket I need to fix instead of a much larger piece. Thanks for the input as I need all the advice I can get on this subject of painting.