FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  76
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Wyoming GTM Underway

Post Thanks / Like
    James, I agree with you completely that you should build the car exactly the way that you want to, it is essentially the whole point of the GTM! We all are here because we decided that the OEM manufacturers don't have an existing product that is more desirable than the philosophy of the GTM.
    You seem to be moving right along, keep it up! The weather will be breaking soon!
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    You never know what you might find on a walk about.....so to that end I have a story I will share from today, kind of funny but work out well in the end. It post is kind of long but thought it was worth putting up for everyone to see and maybe get inspired by what we can find that is used every day that might work as a piece of what we are trying to build. Hope you guys enjoy it.

Ok I have a story to tell that is kind of funny and as it turn out worked out really well. In my last post I show one of the side panels below the door that I was working on. Trying to build a box that looked good from aluminum was my idea, I had gotten as far a making a crude box to cover the space in the panel where the original corvette seat belts attached to clean it up and close it off from the body side around my installed mounts for my 4 point harness. So I went and got two aluminum panels to bend up into boxes, one for each side panel. Then after leaving the Farm and Ranch store I decided to go check out the sale at our local Shopko as they are going out of business after filing bankruptcy.

So I am wondering down the isles checking the prices of a few things I might get since the are liquidating the store. I am walking through the cooking section when I pass two small loaf pans sitting on the self for 3.50 each. As I walked by and passed them, an idea popped into my head. While cant I just use these small loaf pans and cut them a needed, they might work and would give a nice clean look with no rivets that show or welds to dress up and both sides would be exactly the same adding good symmetry to the interior. So I backed up and picked up the small loaf pans.

So here are the little loaf pans

IMG_2106.jpg

Then I mad a new panel and attached the loaf pans to the patch panel with a notch cut our for the mount to enter the bottom inside the boxed area. I then mounted the patch panel with the modified loaf pan onto the side panel than goes next to the seat and under the door.

IMG_2107.jpgIMG_2108.jpg

Here is the test fit of the panel with the patch panel with modified loaf pan in the GTM, from inside the cockpit, outside the cockpit and a close up of the loaf pan and mount for the harness.

IMG_2109.jpgIMG_2110.jpgIMG_2111.JPG

I had to trim the panel as it was designed to come up onto the 1 1/2" tube where the door hinges are but with the kick panel and the way it mounts I hand to change the design to accommodate the kick panel.

IMG_2112.JPG

And finally I have the foam on the new piece and again a look at the panel with the foam set inside the cockpit.

IMG_2114.jpgIMG_2115.jpg

The moral of this story is it took 1/3 the time to build complete using the small loaf pan as it did to try to build the box templet then cut out the aluminum, bend the aluminum of brake, drill the hole for rivets, rivet the box together and try to fit it into the original patch panel. Some how I always have in the back of my head what I am trying to do in the GTM build, think it stays there churning all the time. And because it is every no and again I stubble across an idea when out looking for something else that work out even better than I thought, more often than not. Guess its the engineer in me that is always looking for a better way, and at time it even sets me back when I finally come across a better way and have to take the GTM apart to reconfigure it after I build it once before. But then again that part of the fun for me is keeping my mid sharp and seeing if I can come up with a better way that at the end of the day will make the GTM better, improve the looks and as Beeman said make it mine...….

3. Likes Presto51, Mark Eaton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL....well gotta admit that worked out pretty well! You can be pretty certain that you have the only GTM build with incorporated bread pans!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to mention you saved those cooking pans from a depressing life of meatloafs! Can you imagine the stories they will be telling at the reunions?
    "Well, it certainly sounds like that fruitcake of 2035 was one for the ages, but let me tell you about the time I averaged 170mph in the Silver State Classic."
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Ingenious!! That's a creative mind working there.
    Cheers, Jeff
    GTM 422, LS6, cam, heads, Mendeola trans

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it.
    Just an old man with a great hobby

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok all here is a update on the meat loaf pan closure for the side panels under the door. I got one finished today and hope to get carpet installed on passengers side so I can install the kick panel and the meat loaf panel for the last time. Here it is covered front and from the back side, then finished sitting in the cockpit. Because the pans were already coated I jut left them the color they were and that made the panel wrap smooth and clean. So what does everyone think, not bad for an impromptu engineering decision.

And thank to everyone for the kind comments, though everyone would get a chuckle out of the story...….

IMG_2116.jpgIMG_2117.jpgIMG_2118.jpgIMG_2119.JPG

9. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update on my upholstery progress (or my learning experience doing upholstery) on the passenger side of the GTM. I have the front half of the tunnel done, the kick panel and the carpet laid along with my now infamous meat loaf pan side panel that goes under the door. Getting it figured out slowly and I hope to get better as we go along. Got my sewing machine and will start working, or I should say practicing on some scrap material before I make the first attempt to sew the covers over the Dakota Digital modules on the kick panels. Should be interesting to see how they come out!!

IMG_2133.jpgIMG_2134.JPGIMG_2135.jpgIMG_2136.JPGIMG_2137.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    On a lighter note I am trying to get the next generation interested in the car hobby both collecting and building. This is my granddaughter, she thinks she can drive already but think it will be a few more years. Both under two years of age, grand kids like to come down to papa’s shop, they are fun to watch, and I know they are trying to help. Makes my day and always good for a smile and good laugh.

IMG_2121.JPGIMG_2124.jpgIMG_2125.jpgIMG_2126.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I enjoy having the kids out in the shop too, but it kills productivity!
    Your interior is really coming along, it looks great! What are you going to line your tunnel glove box with?
    Have you decided on a paint scheme yet?
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Beeman, I was planning on lining the glove box (storage area) with a felt material. It is already has a thermal barrier around the outside of the box so jut need to line the inside. If in still need to reduce the heat in that area I will and some thermal mat to the inside under the felt lining. And unless I change my mind (like that happened all the time) the exterior color will be Tangerine Pearl with either flat black or possibly and other dark color (dark brown or maroon) stripes. That is the plan now but have a long wat to go so it still may change...…

Post Thanks / Like
    Have the passenger side what I would call lower interior installed. The tan band sitting at the joint between the waterfall and the top center console piece it will span from passenger side floor to driver side floor and coverup the joint between front and rear of GTM. Now on to the drivers side, seems a shame I have to take it apart one more time to get interior in but that's the way it goes. Learned a lot on passengers side so hopefully the drives will go faster and hopefully I have improved on my skills.

Here is a picture of my upholstery machine I have been working with, still need a lot of practice but try on test pieces every day an am getting better. You see a piece I made, it fit well but need to work on keeping my seams straight, but not to bad for my first time making pattern and putting it together. Will work on this piece some more so not final yet but installed to see what the color scheme was looking like.

IMG_2143.JPGIMG_2144.jpg

And here is a view around the passengers side of the lower part of the interior installed.

IMG_2147.JPGIMG_2148.JPGIMG_2149.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great! If your passenger starts holding a straight edge to your seams, just gun the throttle!
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Well got back home after 2 weeks in Kansas trying to help my aging parents get into an assisted living center, no fun but needed to be done. So, getting back to work on the GTM, go the drivers side loaf pan panel done and ready to install. Moving on to the driver’s side tunnel and carpet now. Got my specialty hoses (reducing hoses) in to eliminate the radiator hoses that have bushings where they change size. They all seem to weep a little antifreeze and I was tire of fighting them so ordered reducing replacement hoses and will also get them installed. Hate to drain cooling system down again but better now than later.

On another note weather is really getting nice up here now so hope to get go kart out soon for first test run. Will finish driver side lower inter interior first as I have the modules out to install interior but after that is finished and cooling system reworked it out for a first drive.

IMG_2162.jpgIMG_2161.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Well finally got back down to the shop today for the first time in more than two weeks. That hospital took more out of me than I thought, but am now again working on the GTM albeit a little slower than a few weeks ago but hope to be up to full steam soon. I got the foam on the drivers side tunnel done under the foot well and out to the point where the strap will cover the joint. Will attempt to get this covered in color tomorrow I hope, but will see ho it going in the morning. Good to get back into the shop if even for a little while!!

IMG_2163.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind how this is going to effect the main dash fitment to the tunnel. We also usually apply the same foam you're doing there, but only apply it to the panels up to the 1" flange on the tunnel tubes and leave that part with no foam. Once you get both the foam and upholstery on the flange for the tunnel tubes, your main dash will no longer fit where it did before and it will push the main dash back quite a ways.....to the point that you may have little or no overlap with the main dash to cowl area of the body.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the heads-up Shane, I think it will fit as is but will set console back on the tubes again. I had it on with only one side covered and had around 1/4"+ still open on the other side. I had thought about how it would fit and if I need to I can pull it off the tubes and remove some foam to narrow the section where the console fits. I will take a few pictures when I set it back on and post them, maybe you can take a look then and see if you think I am still going to have an issue. I really appreciate the advice and knowledge you share on this forum with all of us building the GTM. I just hope I can do as good a job as what I have seen you turn out, always admire your work. Again thanks.

20. Likes rolfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally go the drivers side upholstery completed this weekend. Still moving a little slow but back at it again and moving along. Here are some pictures of the center console sitting in place with upholstery done on both sides of the tunnel. I tapered the foam when it was installed it fit as I hoped it would, take a look if you get a chance Shane and let me know if you thing I still have a problem.

IMG_2167.JPG IMG_2168.jpg IMG_2169.JPG

Below are some pictures of the completed drivers side, with the small cover over the Dakota Digital modules. I French seam this one to see the difference and like it better so guess I will make another cover for the passengers side and French seam that cover as well so at least they will match.

IMG_2172.JPG IMG_2174.JPG IMG_2175.JPG

Going to sew up a bely like piece of the lighter color to cover the seam in the tunnel and where the two top center column pieces join...

Now I will have some decisions to make on the remaining color scheme before continuing to cover the interior parts. And the weather I though was going to be good enough to get the go-kart out for a first drive but oh know, it bee in the low 40 degree range to high 30s and it has been raining and has even try to snow a few times this week, go figure thought winter was over but guess it will try to hang on a little longer. So going to get ready to set body on and set the back wall so I can keep working in the interior as well as starting the body work. Still have long way to go but hope to be making good progress soon.

22. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the cars we build here, the rear edge of the main dash usually ends up a bit forward from that short frame tube in the tunnel. The car we're working on now, the distance between the rear edge of the dash and front edge of that short tube is about 5/8". The dash needs to be that far forward in order for the leading edge of the dash to sit on the cowl area of the body. If you're going to be putting your body on in the next few days, you'll know soon enough if that is going to work out for you or not.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    I can see where there might be a problem if I have to push it up 1/5 to 5/8 inch in front of the small tube. It is sitting right on the edge of the small tube so might have to taper the foam some more for it to slide that far forward. Thanks again for the heads up and I will let you know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    On a side note, my grandson was over and he is just working way on one of my sons truck. He hit large pothole bent front end parts of we have completely disassembled front end on Dodge 1500, waiting on all the parts and will rebuild. I have been helping but not actually doing the work. Think it is good for them to learn and do the work themselves, and they are willing to learn!!!

IMG_2164.jpgIMG_2165.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_2177.JPGFor everyone who lives where it is warm, I really wanted to have driven the go kart stage by now and though by the end of May the weather would have been good enough to give it a try but take a look at the picture, we hand anywhere from around 12" to as high as 24" of wet snow two days ago and now have flash flood warnings as it melts. Temperatures as still in the 40 degree range for a high bit thing are looking up supposed to get up into the 50 to 60 this weekend, the end of May …. go figure usually over and can plant a garden by father day but not this year !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well haven't posted in a while as life gets in the way sometimes, the wife and kids wanted a boat for the summer and to go fishing on so after some long deliberation I broke down and got them a pontoon boat and have been outfitting it for the last week of so and my office has been keeping in busy as well. Hope they have fun this summer and will have to make a few trips with the family as well so I expect to lose some time this summer on building my GTM.

IMG_2184.jpg

The family boat ….. at home, had to drive to Minot ND and back to pick it up.... road trip !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyway got back to working on the interior since the bottom half is done, no working on the waterfall testing my upholstery skills. Here it is covered in a thin layer of 1/8" foam to smooth out the shape. I have the wood work mounted and the cup holders sitting in place making sure everything is going to fit. Have clearance for wrapping the upholstery up over the top to everything should go together as planned. Time will tell, going to attempt to make the cover and get it installed in the next couple of days.

IMG_2189.JPG IMG_2190.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfr58 View Post
    Well haven't posted in a while as life gets in the way sometimes, the wife and kids wanted a boat for the summer and to go fishing on so after some long deliberation I broke down and got them a pontoon boat and have been outfitting it for the last week of so and my office has been keeping in busy as well. Hope they have fun this summer and will have to make a few trips with the family as well so I expect to lose some time this summer on building my GTM.

IMG_2184.jpg

The family boat ….. at home, had to drive to Minot ND and back to pick it up.... road trip !!
    Pontoon boats are awesome. We have a ski boat that we have had for many years and just got a pontoon last year. I think the ski boat only went out twice last year. The kids just love to cruise or go and sit and jump off the upper deck. Who knew? I figured it wouldn't get used that much, but I was wrong. Congrats on the boat, but it definitely will make getting things done on the GTM a challenge.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    My boat definitely gets in the way summer times. It gets a little toasty in the garage so we shoot over to the Bahamas for a little hard core fishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfr58 View Post
    Anyway got back to working on the interior since the bottom half is done, no working on the waterfall testing my upholstery skills. Here it is covered in a thin layer of 1/8" foam to smooth out the shape. I have the wood work mounted and the cup holders sitting in place making sure everything is going to fit. Have clearance for wrapping the upholstery up over the top to everything should go together as planned. Time will tell, going to attempt to make the cover and get it installed in the next couple of days.

IMG_2189.JPG IMG_2190.JPG
    That is a great use of that space.... I may do the same thing. Is that a factory cup holder out of a Buick or Cadillac?

Added benefit the engine heat will keep your coffee warm!

Post Thanks / Like
    I made the pieces for the cupholder, they are sub-flooring plywood covered with African Rose Wood (Budinga Raw Wood veneer) and I ordered the lighted cupholders from a website that sell them for boats. the thin back piece is made from ABS plastic 1/8" thick and again covered with the wood. All was finished in multiple coats of Spar Urethane (Gloss) then rubbed out and polished. Below if the finished waterfall with cup holders installed and the switch that light them up, they light up green.

Finished water fall with cupholders, and switch that operated the green light in the cup holders
    IMG_2192.JPGIMG_2193.JPG

Here the water fall is setting in the interior so you have an idea of what it looks like installed
    IMG_2194.jpgIMG_2195.jpg

The underside is covered with a thermal sound barrier and then the gold reflective coating was installed. The big hump where the cup holders go is made from blue foam and covered as well.
    IMG_2196.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Worked on building a piece to cover the hole where the Accumulator was relocated to in my build. I decided to finish closing off the fan section from the remaining open front end. I will cover the piece in the same reflective material and hopefully it will redirect the heat out the hood vents and mitigate the inflow of heat into the tunnel and interior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are the picture of the cover for the Accumulator installed, hit the post button to soon !!

IMG_2200.jpg IMG_2201.jpg IMG_2202.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Shoeless your boat is a little bigger than mine, but they both are fun anyway. Only have to get the anchor winch installed and it is all rigged out and ready to go. Hope you get some good fishing in when out on the water. Have a couple of trips planned already this summer with kids and grandkids should be fun. At least your is in the water, I have to drag mine somewhere, the trailer was a extra add-on had to make sure they added the trailer or would have to drag it down the road, pontoons wont last long.....
    Did do some checking on the hydrodynamics of a pontoon boas and may design and skin the underside of the deck. It will add to the speed and prevent the lurching you can get some times with the water hits the aluminum supports under the deck. A project for another day, does not cost much a few sheets of 0.034 aluminum and self drilling screws to solve the drag issue caused by water hitting the underside of the deck and deck supports.

Some how I never seem to run out of projects...…. also have to install new shower in master bedroom bath a week or so when all the parts arrive...no rest for the weary

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey James,

I wish I lived on the water down here in S FL, but that property is so dang expensive. Thankfully my neighborhood has a private boat ramp so I don’t have to deal with the craziness there. The pic I posted above was in a West End Bahamas, we take our boat over there once or twice a year. It’s only about a 3.5 hour boat ride for us on a good calm day. I did get my first Blue Marlin last year, my wife drove the boat perfectly as I manhandled that beast for an hour.

Thankfully my wife enjoys fishing just as much if not more than I do. Over the years she has told me we needed a bigger boat twice LOL, but boy is it a lot of work. I was on her all day today prepping for a week in the Bahamas for 4th of July. I just had a complete rewire job done and we are working out the final bugs before we head over.

I hear yea about the never ending work

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished the cover over the accumulator, have heat reflective material on one side and thermal mat on the other so should keep heat away for the accumulator. I screwed the cover on so I can take it off easily if needed for access to the accumulator or the connections for A/C system. This finished the front end, the covers are on and sealed, have a few other small items that I need to finish like the installation of interior lights, they are pulled in and connected just need to finish mounting them. I get done doing one thing, stand back take a look at the GTM and realize I still have all the little things to finish...… I think the list is growing faster that I am getting the items done but it is fun to see it come together. And it all the little thing we all do to our build that give them that personal touch that them our, our vision, our dream and when complete we can all stand back and take in what we accomplished.

IMG_2203.jpg IMG_2204.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a hard time trying to get the golf heat reflecting material to lay down right on the cover as I put a bead roll on the face to stiffen it and had to put a dish on the bottom side to allow room for the sight glass on the front tank. I still might take it off an paint it would look a lot smoother but does not look to bad as is, fit great just wish I could get material to lay down like I want it, won't stretch like the interior material so makes it harder to get around complex shales.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in a similar spot, James. All of those little tedious things that are necessary to finish up, or at least need to be done to get the car registered and on the road.
    When applying the foil, did you have someone assisting you to keep it under tension while you laid it down? Did you use an applicator like this? Keep up the great work!
    https://www.amazon.com/TECKWRAP-Plas...yl+appl&sr=8-4
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    First let me say Happy Father Days to all the father out there, for taking the time to pass on their knowledge from building a car (learning mechanic skills) or just taking a kid fishing. Hope you all enjoy the day.

AS to the question you ask Beeman, no I did no have someone helping me and maybe I should have gotten on of my boys down to assist. I have a plastic applicator but know as good as the one you listed above. Think I will do a much better job, so going to get a couple of them. Thanks for the heads up and the applicator, I like the fact is has a softer end to insure no scratches. And if I would post before I have bee in the shop all evening I might of even spelled "gold" right instead of golf as I did above !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok will I could not take the wrinkles in the cover piece for the accumulator so.... I tore it off and recovered it again but this time just used the tape I use to seal the ends of the gold film. It cam out a lot better so I will leave it this way and move on to the next small item to finish.

IMG_2205.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    On a off topic, I worked on the cover when it was raining, but when it would stop I designed a sub structure for the front end of the pontoon boat to mount a anchor mount that was designed to fit on the back and attach to the pontoon mounts. Since the front of the pontoon narrows, to mount the platform we had to design a substructure to mount the platform to and maintain structural strength with the pull of the anchor or winch. It worked out better than I had envisioned it so thought I would share some pictures.

IMG_2206.jpg IMG_2207.JPG IMG_2208.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Got some smaller thing done, interior lights mounted under dash and fit the waterfall back on the tunnel after making the small belt pieces to cover the seam in the tunnel. The list of smaller things keeps growing bigger I think..... even when working on them to cross them off the list. getting ready to make attempt to tackle recovering the seats and setting the body on to set fire wall. Moving along slower than in the winter, since it is summer now there seems to be more thing that need than I can get done so still working on car just not as much as in the winter when noting to do so going to the shop hanging out down there is not a issue when its to cold to go outside...…

IMG_2209.jpg IMG_2210.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Opened up the cooling system again today, have been putting this off but got to it yesterday. I replaced the remaining bushing with the reducing fittings (1 1/2 x 1 1/4 90 deg. ells) and a straight (1 1/2 x 1 1/4 coupler) so had to drain again and replace the last pieces with bushings. It stopped the leaks on the one I tried before I got the remaining reducing fittings to replace all the bushings. Here is what they look installed.

IMG_2235.jpg IMG_2238.jpg
    This is the one on the front top radiator connection, it is small enough that it sit where it will no interfere with the body when installed.

IMG_2237.jpg
    This is the one installed on the water pump side in rear, they cam out looking and fitting better than I thought.

Now on to putting the body on for the first time to set the back fire wall.....

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast