BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  76
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wyoming GTM Underway

Post Thanks / Like
    Again for everyone who post and the good ideas and advise that can be found on this forum I thank you all.

Talking about my shop, I am very blessed to have a really nice shop to work on the GTM build (my wife let me build one, but she extracts her share out in other ways not sure but she might be ahead by now), we have several collector cars and we needed a place to work on them so we can play with them for a while and will resell at a later date. The idea was to give me something to do being semi-retired and keep me from going crazy. I am engineer by trade and enjoy trying to make something better or do something that has never done before, does not always work as designed but fun to try and keeps my mind working and me out of my wife’s way. So, know this has nothing to do with the GTM build but have had some comments on the shop so thought I would post a few pictures of the shop that an am very thank full to have an be able to use.

2. Likes Jkviper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok forgot to add the pictures so here they are...….

IMG_1882.JPGIMG_1883.JPGIMG_1888.JPGIMG_1890.JPGIMG_1892.JPGIMG_1894.JPGIMG_1895.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful shop!!

I do have one caution. You are definitely going to want to fix that big hole that you have all of your AC/heat vent hoses coming up thru. Each one of those vent hoses needs to be sealed so that the hot air from the tunnel can't come into the cockpit. If you leave that big open hole like that, it's going to feel like there is a blast furnace running under your dash as you drive....even with the windows down it will roast you out very quickly. We take that top tunnel panel and cut individual holes in it for the vent hoses to be pulled up thru, with the holes slightly undersized of the flex hose so that the hose tends to make it's own natural seal against the edge of the hole. I have that hole pattern in CAD.....I use my plasma table to cut the holes and also have a "patch panel" drawn up with the hole pattern cut into it to fix the cars that come in that already have that hole opened up like yours is.

BTW, don't feel bad.....I think every single GTM I've had come into the shop where the owners already had that panel cut did the exact same thing.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like

Patch Panel

Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    Beautiful shop!!

I do have one caution. You are definitely going to want to fix that big hole that you have all of your AC/heat vent hoses coming up thru. Each one of those vent hoses needs to be sealed so that the hot air from the tunnel can't come into the cockpit. If you leave that big open hole like that, it's going to feel like there is a blast furnace running under your dash as you drive....even with the windows down it will roast you out very quickly. We take that top tunnel panel and cut individual holes in it for the vent hoses to be pulled up thru, with the holes slightly undersized of the flex hose so that the hose tends to make it's own natural seal against the edge of the hole. I have that hole pattern in CAD.....I use my plasma table to cut the holes and also have a "patch panel" drawn up with the hole pattern cut into it to fix the cars that come in that already have that hole opened up like yours is.

BTW, don't feel bad.....I think every single GTM I've had come into the shop where the owners already had that panel cut did the exact same thing.
    VRaptor,

That would be great if you have something already drawn up. Since I can remove that section I think I could use the patch panel and make a new section to take it place with the layout that you have. Guess I never thought about that, the heat coming from the nose through the tunnel. Thanks for the heads up it is a lot easier to fix not that later. Can you send the layout can you send me a diagram or tell me where I can find it. Really appreciate the advise and the help you have given me so far not mention the pieces. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    For some reason, I can never post photos here. Shoot me an email and I can send you a photo with the hole pattern and hole sizes.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Shane I will send you an email and have a couple of question on more parts anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting stumped by this one and cant find the answer anywhere, my question pertains to the wipers. On the column switch and the operation, I understand you cut or do away with the purple wire to eliminate the high side of the wiper function, but if all other wires are used will the intermittent function still work or do you just have off and low? Making modifications to the switches on the column switches to clean them up and remove the switches that are not needed like cruse control and if no needed I would eliminate the right switch that operates the intermittent function. Don't want to cut it off or epoxy in plate then round off if the function will still work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Leaving the purple wire disconnected will only disable the high speed wipers.....everything else will still work. Pretty sure that when you move the stalk to high speed, the wipers will remain on in low speed.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to Shane at VRaptor Speedwork’s on the A/C ducting and need to make sure they were sealed up, so heat does not come into the cabin, and since it was easier to change it now that later he saves me some serious rework.
    So, looking at he drawing he sent and compilating what I could do to make the access better for maintenance I can up with an idea to make a big bulkhead connection type plate to cover the section over the A/C unit. Plate cut, drilled and fitted over the center section containing the A/C Unit.

IMG_1950.JPG

Based on the drawing that Shane sent I laid out each penetration thought the bulkhead. The layout is slightly different to insure in miss angled the crossmembers in the tunnel section.

IMG_1959.JPG

Here it is with the penetrations installed. The A/C duction will fit over each one and will be either zip tied or clamped on the top section. The penetrations are made with of two PVC fitting that have been ground down and modified to allow the A/C hose to fit snuggly over each.

IMG_1951.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    These are the two types of PVC fitting I started with.

IMG_1945.JPG

The threaded bottom modified PVC Fitting is attached to the A/C Duct and cone up through the bulkhead.

IMG_1955.JPG

The top coupling piece screws down onto another the modified bottom piece attached to the duct providing a tight seal between the middle A/C unit compartment and tunnel.

IMG_1956.JPG

Here is close-up of the fittings sitting on screwed to the bottom piece and sitting on the bulkhead.

IMG_1957.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the A/C ducting attached to the top connections orientated in somewhat the same manner as I plan to have them installed. I figure it does two things, one is to allow me to disconnect the duct work and keep out of the way until it is needed for final installation, and second allows me to access just this section of the A/C compartment if needed for maintenance or service. The other two sections over the passengers footwell and drivers footwell are also removable for maintenance or service.

IMG_1952.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Doc1.jpgDoc2.jpgHere is the side by side of the before with top center section before with large cutout for ducts and the after with new center bulkhead and bulkhead fittings to connect the ducts from the center section above the A/C unit and tunnel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nicely done!!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    That should make a huge difference in your cabin comfort.
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent work!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_1961.JPGThought I would post this so if someone has an odd shaped or complicated piece to paint it will save you a lot of time. Masking off small pieces or irregular pieces can be a challenge but I was taught a way to make fast work of this task buy using aluminum foil. It can be molded around just about anything no matter the shape as it can be folded or crushed around these strange shapes good enough to keep the paint off the parts you want. Check out the picture below, I wrapped up the turn signal switch and the window wiper/washer switch to paint the handles after removing unwanted parts and filling holes. It still work great !!

IMG_1961.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Guess I need to figure out how to use the buttons better !! Have been buys working at that thing they call a job lately so have not been able to work on the GTM like I want but just had to tall this story. While working on the car a few day ago, my grandson cam to visit me in the shop. While there he decided he wanted in the car to drive. So with out thinking (brain fog) I let him climb in the car and he started turning the steering wheel around. Now, while i thought it was kind-da cool for him to take an interest, I forgot I had not tied the wiring up under the drivers side by the steering wheel. Well, let me tell you, even a little guy like him can turn the wheel hard enough to wrap up a few wires and pull a few out...…. So it took me a few hours fixing them and putting them back into there connectors, but got the task done and now we have the wiring tied back away from the steering column !!

IMG_1962.JPG IMG_1963.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Well those pictures posted sideways but everyone will get the idea. Made the temporary dash and plate to hold switches, will go now add fuses to Infinity Box system and connect the battery. Time to check the electrical out …………… Once that is complete, time for first fire up in the GTM frame. Engine has been run on a test stand but not in the GTM yet. Was hoping to get this done next week but heading for Houston of meetings all week so might be the following week before it fires but will film it and post. It will be a milestone for sure, then on to all the body work

IMG_1965.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, achieved a milestone for the Christmas holiday, all mechanical work and wiring done, so yesterday for the first time, hit the push button start to see if the motor would roll over and ignition would come on and it did!! Powered up the HDX gauge set and it came on with a green blinking light ready to go so testing continues with fan controller and then full check out of Infinity Box system then the really big test……. Time to put some gasoline in the tanks and see if she will rumble to life and run, accelerate and idle properly. The ready for the go-kart test drive weather permitting. It is cold here in Wyoming now, have a day every now and again in the 45-50-degree range so hope to get it out on one of these good days if we have any and take the first drive.

I will post a video of the first fire up and run shortly as I am just about there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Be sure not to put power to your fuel pump until you get fuel in the tanks.......
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Making some great progress! I'm about to dive into wiring. Still weighing keeping the C5 harness vs aftermarket with C5 components spliced in, I am keeping ABS and TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Shane

Thanks for the heads up, it is still disconnected hot wire uncoupled at connector. Will put fuel in in a day or two and hopefully fire the engine for the first time. Have all fluid is and was able to get almost 5gallons of anti-freeze in with out running the engine so it should be almost full. Hope to hear it run before the first of the year....

Post Thanks / Like
    Beeman

Hard to tell sometime what is best, mine was all new, installed the Infinity box system and pulled the remaining wire myself. I am sure there has to be an easier way, but I am sure I more than likely did it the hard way !! if there is a easier way I will not find out about it until I have completed a task and someone tell me why didn't you do it like this.... da, guess I should of though of that !!

Post Thanks / Like
    First Start of GTM #500, finally got there !!

http://<iframe class="restrain" titl...="0"></iframe>

Post Thanks / Like
    First Start of GTM #500, finally got there !! Video did not post first time....

https://youtu.be/7qxy6FdPOmM

Post Thanks / Like
    awesome work! great updates! i just got caught up on your thread and you've answered ALOT of my AC ducting questions that I just posted, thanks for the info for the rest of us!

-Brent

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wanting to insure the steering column telescoping function was working through the Infinity Box Master Cell and the inMotion module I hooked them up and put it through testing. Had to add another shim to column where it is tied into the frame from FFR and remade the bracket that attaches the drive motor to allow the column to slide to the back of the slotted holes. Had to move the drive motor back and down approximately 1/2 inch down to keep everything lined up so there was no binding on the column.

Remade mounting bracket for the drive motor, also made the bracket heavier to eliminate flexing when in use.

IMG_2005.jpg

Steering column in operation

https://youtu.be/EzIRdZYKxBw

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the video of the steering column operating

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully I will get the hang of posting on the board for everyone to see better.

I have been installing some LED lighting in the engine compartment and will look at installing some up from as well. Thought the would look good at the car shows or at least I hope so to add some contract and draw attention to the detail in the engine bay, as well as giving light if needed to the engine compartment when the sun goes down. Below is a video of the lights and some of the patterns that they can generate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Checking out interface with brake lights and safety system on Digital Dawg push button start intergrade with Infinity Box, the good news is it works and still starts and runs, LED brake lights work great. These are light I purchased in lieu of the stock FFR lights and they are really bright.....

Foot off break ………. Foot on break engine ready to start !!

IMG_2006.jpgIMG_2007.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    With the mechanical work basically complete until the body is on, I have started of the smaller thing as it relates to the interior. I have all the switches and buttons installed on the veneered wood pieces installed and am working on terminating all the wiring in the tunnel to the accessory switches. The plan is to cover the outside of the tunnel with a 1/8” or 1/4” sandable foam and the veneered wood pieces will sit down inside the foam once the tunnel is upholstered. The veneer is a Bubinga Raw Wood Veneer (AKA African Rosewood) wood attached to 1/4” thick sub flooring plywood. The push button latching and momentary switches with etched titles came and are now in place. Below are some pictures of the final product.

IMG_2016.jpg
    Driver side tunnel - Center Console - Passengers Side

IMG_2017.jpgIMG_2018.jpgIMG_2019.jpg
    Each Piece Shown Separately

IMG_2026.jpg
    Center Console with all veneered pieces in place with upholstery to show contract. Cut outs for shifter and radio will follow during final assembly

Post Thanks / Like
    The drivers side tunnel switches installed and working

IMG_2027.JPGIMG_2028.JPG

Switch panel for center console wired and working, the cut out that has nothing there yet is for the Escort Passport 9500ci built in radar detector

IMG_2029.JPG

Moving on the passengers side tunnel today and will finalize the wiring when installing. New will be to set body on frame for eh first time to set the back fire wall and front dash pieces. Time to stat working on the doors and body, plant to build a body buck so once things are fit up I can remove body and work on the fiberglass on the body buck before refitting to finish doors etc. if possible, and if not will revert to plan C as I have already ruled out plans A and B !! Will keep marching along and hopefully will have if finished this year but who knows life has a way of getting in the way so we shall see...……..

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good James. About time to make another venture across the state line to check things out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks and your welcome anytime.
    Finished the passengers side accessory panel it has a 12V round port, a 5V 2amp charging port for iPhone etc. and a connection to head unit for iPhone, ipod or similar device direct to the double dinn head with navigation , apple car play and back up camera.
    unit that will installed in center console.

IMG_2032.JPGIMG_2033.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Hooked up all panel to test night time lighting system through Infinity Box system. All interior LED working with theater timed shut off and dash and center console unit working as planned, turn on with switch on steering column when parking lights come on.

IMG_2031.JPG

Have to finish the wiring to the hatch popper and the final connection and mounting for the Escort Passport 9500ci on the center panel, clean up the wiring and tie in place then on o the body work. Will mount the body on the frame for eh first time since it arrived this week to set the back fire wall and front dash parts. Starting to look like a real car !!

Post Thanks / Like
    That 9500ci looks like a nice unit. I have the Uniden R3 which I have been impressed by the range but get a lot of false alerts from other vehicle blind spot warning systems. Would be cool to have a built in radar detector.
    I didn't think Wyoming had speed limits?
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Beeman, well you are partly right, when they removed he federal 55 MPH speed limit Montana went back to know speed limit listing it as safe a prudent for the road conditions (I was in Montana at the time) and Wyoming raised there but did not enforce them as well as the Feds thought they should. So at the end of the day the Feds told them both they would with hold federal highway funds if they did not change and implement a speed limit and enforce them. Back then I was traveling from Eastern Montana back to Billings and got pilled over doing 110 MPH, but not for speeding but because my back license plate was missing (it was in the cab, knocked it off loading a trailer), cost me 20 dollars but nothing for speeding. We should go back to those days...………. There is nothing up here and takes for ever to get anywhere so why not get on down the road. You can push it pretty hard here still but they will at some point pull over.

Here is the full completed center control panel for the center column completed with the controller for the 9500ci install with warning light. All wiring hooked up and down inside the center column. The red rags jut help keeping it from getting scratched while sitting against the frame. Wanted to make sure it all fit, so no good to go.

IMG_2034.JPGIMG_2035.jpg

Would like to take it to and drive it in go kart stage but weather in Wyoming this time of year not very good to make an attempt. Don't thing as light as the GTM is and the HP it has will do very good on the snow and ice, in fact might not even make it up the hill out side the shop to get to the road. Hopefully it will get better sooner than later and I can get out to drive for the first time, would need ski's on the front end now!! So will continue on building and wait for better weather.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well had to rework the steering column to get additional clearance between the seat and the steering column. I opted to install the telescoping version (may not make a difference at the end of the day) and shimmed the column down to the telescoping function to work right as other have done. But after lower it and setting the seats in the car decided to raise it back up to the bracket or just below the mounting bracket (has 3/16" shims on each side to clear the 1 1/2" main square tube frame) and made new brackets to hold the motor for the telescoping function (FFR supplied bracket would not work with out lowering the column) and reworked the bracket holding the carrier baring for the steering rods to the steering rack. I will also add another brace from the 1 1/2" tube to the column tube to stiffen the column as it will still flex now. I also added a cable tray for the wiring where it crosses over the steering column to the Master Cell and the Dakota Digital controller for the instrumentation. Below are some pictures of the cable tray installation.

IMG_2039.jpgIMG_2040.jpg

Protects wiring for getting into the linkage on the steering column

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are the seats sitting inside the car, they are for a fox body Mustang and the are sitting on sliders inside the car. The seat is under 33" tall and fit inside the cockpit with no problems. I know they are not pretty but they were priced very well, got them from an individual as the matched the dimension I was looking for to put the sliders on the seats and keep them short enough allow them to work in the car. I am going to recover them to match my interior design so I did not care that they were black and red with a small tear in the drivers set, the price was right. Might have to rework the should wings to insure they do not hit the door but think they will work. Mounted on modified mount plates for the Mustang I modified to keep them right down against the GTM floor. Will take better picture when fully mounted.

IMG_2037.jpgIMG_2038.jpg

New mounting bracket for drive motor for telescoping steering column

IMG_2005.jpg

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast