Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuse box location

Post Thanks / Like

Fuse box location

First of all,
    Thanks to everyone, especially Edwardb for your advise. I feel like I’m hogging this message board as of lately.

I am thinking about putting the controll pack fuse box on the drivers side firewall. The location the directions give has already been used up by my heater. So I would have to put it a little further away on the passenger foot box and then the wires will have to go through the firewall at a location that will make it tough to get it all the way to the accelerator pedal connector.

Is there any good reason not to put it on the drivers side firewall? The biggest one I can think of is that if the motor has to come out I will have to remove it.

Thanks in advance
    Mk4 ordered 1/3/18, IRS, Coyote, T56 Magnum

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Packer Fan,

For what it is worth, I moved my fuse panel to the passenger side of the car.
    It opened up the foot box so I can get to my master cylinders and windshield mounts.
    I had to flip the blinkers since the harness going forward runs down the right frame rail but it works for me.
    The good news is it can't get wet since any water that drips down the windshield mounts won't drip onto the fuse block.
    Just be careful when going off the manual to make sure that what you want to do is doable.

It's located behind the dash:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/albu...chmentid=51762

You can see my layout in this old video:
    https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs

Also, please know that I used aluminum door kick plates to create the under dash panels for my car.
    I just had to do a slight bend to make it look and fit right.

Good Luck From The New Orleans!

Saints Fan Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-20-2018 at 07:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You're asking about the Coyote PDB (aka control pack fuse box), not the Ron Francis fuse box. Right? That's what my answer reflects. Several of us have put the Coyote PDB on the driver's side firewall. Works well there. All the wires route reasonably well. With the stock firewall location, doesn't affect getting the engine in and out. With a firewall forward mod, it might. But I haven't done that mod, so can't give any help there. It could also be mounted higher than I'm showing here. I was trying to keep it less conspicuous, and also not hard to access with the cowl overhang.

Last edited by edwardb; 11-20-2018 at 05:02 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm running a heater & wipers on #9365, and I just moved the fusebox forward a bit...
    ECU35.jpg
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks,
    Wow both of your engine compartments look increadable.

This is my first one and at times it is kicking my a$$.

Eventually, I Make it through each challenge.

Thanks
    Mk4 ordered 1/3/18, IRS, Coyote, T56 Magnum

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Check out Edwardb's 3rd build for some excellent reference material.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...iversary-Build

His 2nd build really helped me out since my car is not Computer Controlled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another pic of the "suggested" FFR location - moved forward a bit from recommended to clear heater I/O.
    (Don't know if I'll use the supplied 90's, or something else. Waiting on my full-flow bypass valve and engine install to start the mockup).

Roller04.png
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021