FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Question -TBFI conversion -Holley vs. FI Tech and fuel pump configuration for the 33

Post Thanks / Like

Question -TBFI conversion -Holley vs. FI Tech and fuel pump configuration for the 33

I'm looking for any feedback on the Holley Sniper system and the FI Tech Go Street system for the 33 hotrod. I'm interested in the conversion on my Ford X302 340HP with an Edelbrock 650 carb, MSD ignition. The biggest hurdle to me is the fuel/plumbing issue. I had hoped to run an internal pump in my stock tank with a return line but FFR says its not possible to run internal pumps?? The rest of the installation seem very easy with either the Holley or FI tech. Right now I'm leaning towards the Holley system, both sale external and internal pumps and the FI Tech states they can run without the return line if desired??
    As a total rookie, I would appreciate any opinions! Thank You!

IMG_0005.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there Snaphappypappy,

I see no one has chimed in and I can't offer much on the specifics of the 33 or the Sniper but I do run a FiTech in a Mk4. You are correct the FiTech can be setup as a return less system. What prevents the 33 from having an in tank pump? I run a 155lph walboro in tank pump with a 3/8 feed/return line setup. Fitech offers several fuel pump options including a frame mount, Fuel Commander, and retrofit in tank pump.

https://fitechefi.com/efi-fuel-pump-...ech-fuel-pump/

The only caveat I see in regards to running an in tank pump with a return is the tank needs to vented. Personally, I vented my tank using Mark Reynolds big bore vent kit.

3. Thanks snaphappypappy thanked for this post
    Likes snaphappypappy liked this post
    Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    You may need the Boyd tank set up for internal pumps if that's the route you are going. I haven't made the swap yet either, but my initial impression is that the sniper will be more data logger friendly and MSD integrated.

5. Thanks snaphappypappy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can offer some very early observations on the Holley as I just swapped a FAST XFI Street over to a Sniper. So far, I've been very impressed with the Sniper. I like the integrated ECU and fuel pressure regulator on the Sniper. Setup was very simple with their wizard via the included handheld. Simply answer a couple of questions, choose the idle speed and then adjust the idle screw based on IAC reading and you're ready to go.
    Last edited by Papa; 11-22-2018 at 11:43 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

7. Thanks snaphappypappy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure why you can't run an in tank pump with the FFR tank. Suggest you ask them for a bit of an explanation. I know you certainly can with the Boyd tank. If you don't want to run a return line all the way back to the tank from the Sniper, I believe you can run an external regulator (don't use the one in the Sniper) locating it close to the tank. A single line will then go forward to the Sniper and a return line goes from the external regulator to the tank.

9. Thanks snaphappypappy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both systems are great systems, but..... Fitech is offering a $100 rebate on their systems until the end of the year.
    Mark4 - 331 Stroker - Fitech 600 -TKO600 - Moser 3.55

11. Thanks snaphappypappy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the fitech and love it. Tuning and drivability were great out of the box and a couple of minor adjustments and it's been awesome.

13. Thanks snaphappypappy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Sniper EFI...seemed to be easy to integrate on my build (I that is what I was looking for). Just go carted a few weekends ago, so I can't offer much feedback on how it performs yet. I do know that Holley has been super responsive on any questions that I have had.
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

15. Thanks snaphappypappy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’m building a Mk4 so I’m not completely sure on what’s special about a 33 tank, but on the F5 website under parts for a 33, they sell an internal tank fuel pump holder. You may have been given some bad information that you may want to recheck on.
    If your comparing Fitech to a Sniper then the Fitech 600 is the equivalent to the Sniper. The Go street would be for motor under 400 hp and mild cam. This sounds like it would be good fit for your motor.
    I originally looked at the Sniper but at the time I needed it, there was 6 month waiting list. I went with the Fitech 600 and I’m glad I did. My 331 runs great on Fitech and needed only minor tweaks to decel settings to stop decel popping.(because they are setup for automatic transmission and not standards from the factory). I run a Walbro 195 internal pump with 3/8 feed and a 5/16 return. I use a 2 filters in the feed line. Throttle response is almost instant (which is not always good).
    Good luck with your project.
    Mark4 - 331 Stroker - Fitech 600 -TKO600 - Moser 3.55

17. Thanks snaphappypappy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    JOP33, are you planning on an external fuel pump or internal?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by snaphappypappy View Post
    JOP33, are you planning on an external fuel pump or internal?
    I am using the Holley External Fuel Pump that came with the Sniper System...you can check out my build thread for some pics and challenges (post #377)...

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...813#post349813
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    snaphappypappy,

I don't know your chassis number, but FFR recently changed the tank design. The older tank used a Mustang (Fox) fuel pump hanger/module which allowed you to use either in-tank or external fuel pump. The new tank uses a different module that requires an external fuel pump. that's the difference on the 33 tank. It all depends on your chassis number. I'll be the first to say I'm not a big of the new tank.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I have the newer chassis and tank, 1095, and made the same In-Tank inquiry and was TOLD, No, I have to go external. This new tank has a "screw" on feed/return supply lines and the fuel level sending unit is also built in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TxMike64 View Post
    snaphappypappy,

I don't know your chassis number, but FFR recently changed the tank design. The older tank used a Mustang (Fox) fuel pump hanger/module which allowed you to use either in-tank or external fuel pump. The new tank uses a different module that requires an external fuel pump. that's the difference on the 33 tank. It all depends on your chassis number. I'll be the first to say I'm not a big of the new tank.
    I almost certain I have the old tank (chassis #493), I found this pump while searching for the Fox in-tank hangar link:

https://www.highflowfuel.com//i-7199...8aAmieEALw_wcB

Maybe it could for my purpose?

I'm going to talk to FFR again, in the process of determining my accessibility to the tank since my car is already completed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    And then..... I want an EFI conversion on my 33' W/ SBC but have zero experience with these units. Wanted a little break from my 33' build SO, got an Fitech 400 unit for my 40' Ford sedan W/ SBC as an learning experience. As with most things, a simple install turned into a larger project but that was mainly because I choose to put a new EFI compatable fuel tank and in-tank pump in. Both came from Fitech and went in very smooth. I also ran a return solid line and put SS braided hose with an6 fittings at both ends, send and return. Buying all the items on line and waiting for delivery plus Extra time for the fittings... I forgot to order,,, it took me almost a month but I was on and off lazy and not in a hurry. Had a couple leaks on test fire, easy fix, I only finger tightened a couple of fittings. Set up on the hand held unit was quite easy, stumbled several times 1st try to run,,, on 5th try it ran and went through its learning thing. Drove car for over an hour to put the EFI through paces, never missed a beat. I don't drive this car often and it has always ran just fine on the Edelbrock but now it starts right Now and runs , yes, Smoother than before. Very crisp throttle on this cruiser... Quite happy with unit. Still, may consider the Sniper unit on 33'. Not sure yet but now I have a little experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Guys! FYI I bought the Holley system. So far very pleased with their customer support and I have completed the install except for the final wiring of the main harness. The biggest challenges have been running the return line ( the return line is going into the filler hose - see pic ) and finding a new location for my original Autometer coolant sensor ( will hopefully go in the new water neck ). Very simple install since I won't be using the secondary harness. Here are some pics of the return and fuel lines.IMG_0635.jpgIMG_0636.jpgIMG_0637.jpg

25. Likes erlihemi liked this post