Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: 3D printing is advancing

Post Thanks / Like

3D printing is advancing

This may be old news but I can't wait to get the bench top model for the garage!

https://industrialmachinerydigest.co...sample-part-2/

What would you make???
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    My son 3-D printed a number of items for our build. These include:
    - brackets to attach the Canon coolant overflow tank and the CNC brake fluid reservoirs to the upper braces along the hood opening
    - a bracket attaching the MSD box to the cross brace above the radiator
    - 2 piece Grommet for passing brake fluid hoses, ss brake lines & some wires into the engine compartment
    - bracket in the engine compartment with remote battery terminals to attach battery tender (battery is in the trunk)
    - a number of 2 piece clamps securing the ss fuel lines and the ss brake lines
    These made for clean attachments and look nice.
    Mk4 Complete kit #8469: Levy Racing Stage 5 with Inglese stack. TKO 600, 3 link rear suspension. FAST Sportsman with dyno-tune. APE hardtop. Father & Son project, delivered Nov 2014, completed June 2017.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have good ventilation see this article just published

https://www.engadget.com/2016/02/01/...an-be-harmful/

Post Thanks / Like
    Not car related, but the Army can 3D print a concrete barracks building in 2 days vs a stick build in 7 days. Not pretty, but functional and cheap.

https://www.dezeen.com/2018/09/05/us...te-technology/

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw a company recently did a concept set of wheels that were 3D printed from titanium which was super cool. The company was explaining that they normally start off with a ~100lbs. block of aluminum and machine away 80%. When 3D printing, there is very little waste which makes a material like titanium doable, where as cutting wheels from a giant block of it is not cost effective. Now, it is not your standard 3D printer they are using but this could be more common place one day not too far out.
    Gen III Type 65 Coupe Delivered 6/26/2018

6. Likes cgundermann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’m looking forward to using my 3-D printer to make Cobra items. Even little assembly jigs are easier with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ej95Cobra View Post
    My son 3-D printed a number of items for our build. These include:
    - brackets to attach the Canon coolant overflow tank and the CNC brake fluid reservoirs to the upper braces along the hood opening
    - a bracket attaching the MSD box to the cross brace above the radiator
    - 2 piece Grommet for passing brake fluid hoses, ss brake lines & some wires into the engine compartment
    - bracket in the engine compartment with remote battery terminals to attach battery tender (battery is in the trunk)
    - a number of 2 piece clamps securing the ss fuel lines and the ss brake lines
    These made for clean attachments and look nice.
    This sounds awesome. The 3D printing really intrigues me. Could you post some pics of these parts please? What material are they printed in? Is in plastic, any concern with engine compartment heat?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    I saw a company recently did a concept set of wheels that were 3D printed from titanium which was super cool. The company was explaining that they normally start off with a ~100lbs. block of aluminum and machine away 80%. When 3D printing, there is very little waste which makes a material like titanium doable, where as cutting wheels from a giant block of it is not cost effective. Now, it is not your standard 3D printer they are using but this could be more common place one day not too far out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F2FMIzXw5M
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

10. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    That is truly incredible and fascinating! Like Scott, I have been intrigued and kicking around 3D printing...

Thanks,

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    There may be a day, in the very near future, that we can share the files that allow you to print out these special parts specifically for the FFR cars. Just think, an open source file sharing site for FFR parts, just click and print. Also there is room for sponsors to then sell their very own version of these parts at great prices and help to the community.

Brandon

Post Thanks / Like
    Some guy's I know 3d printed a complete car. This is me in it.
    lm1.jpglm2.jpg

The second one is the 3d printed (in case you couldn't figure it out)

The first car belongs to David Riha.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 12-02-2018 at 04:50 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

14. Likes Derald Rice liked this post
    EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post
    There may be a day, in the very near future, that we can share the files that allow you to print out these special parts specifically for the FFR cars. Just think, an open source file sharing site for FFR parts, just click and print. Also there is room for sponsors to then sell their very own version of these parts at great prices and help to the community.

Brandon
    You can do that now. And if you don't have a printer to can send the file to a printer service.

https://www.thingiverse.com/

People will laugh, but in the future, everything will be printed. Auto parts stores will print your part instead of stocking them. You will have a printer in your home to make everything from clothes to shoes to appliance repair parts. Even complex parts with electrical circuit boards will be possible. Maybe not in our lifetime, but it's just a matter of time. Most of it is possible now, just not large scale or fast enough.
    Last edited by Arrowhead; 12-06-2018 at 02:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It’ll be just like the Jetsons!
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    I was in a ship building facility in August that mounted robotic welders unto the gantry crane systems. Looked like something out of a SyFy movie. In addition to massive seam welding they are now welding small features directly. Things like brackets and stops. They can add up to 8lbs of material per hour per welding head. They are also planning to add a combined 3D welding / CNC work cell. CNC cleans up the surface and drills holes directly after the part is weld/printed.
    Mk4, IRS, (Forte: 427 with EFI, T-56 MAG, hydraulic clutch, mechanical linkage, reverse lockout control module) (Breeze: Front and Rear Double adjustable QA1's, Cockpit cubby, LED Lights, Fan Shroud, Fan Lower Support, Oil Cooler Coil, power steering hose kit) (Russ: Drop Trunk, Turn Signal)

18. Thanks Derald Rice thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Engineering department at Bradley Univ, my alma mater, is in a NASA competition looking at colonizing Mars. Their project is to look at sending materials and 3D printers to Mars and 3D printing everything from living quarters to transportation equipment. Much easier to send it in bags and make it out there. Amazing stuff.
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

20. Thanks Derald Rice thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ORNL 3D Prints Working Shelby Cobra Replica (2015)

https://3dprint.com/36433/3d-printed-shelby-cobra/

I ran across this but did not want to start a new thread. then ran across this thread while searching for 3D printer threads.
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    Two caveats:
    Not all manufacturing methods yield the same results. A sand casting is fast and cheap, a forging delivers better structure, with smaller cross section. Differing physical characteristics of the same material.
    I see the HRE/GE printed titanium was a styling exercise but durability and yield strength? Three years later?
    It is hard to believe that electron beam micro-melted material has the physical properties of an ingot forged to shape with tons of pressure.

I sat in on a contract design company's review of a small part manufacturing presentation to sell a machine for printing small batches of parts.
    It all looked good until I asked if the material was solvent, antifreeze, petroleum or heat resistant? No it was not.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s cool for non structural parts. My car will have an absolute minimum of plastic parts. Imo, most collectible cars are from an era before the advent of plastics everywhere. I agree with Mr Jones that printing of metal parts is still far from the structural integrity of billet or forged materials.

24. Likes J R Jones liked this post