BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puma's 818 Build

Post Thanks / Like

Puma's 818 Build

My name is Eric, but my close friends call me Puma. In college I studied architecture then went back to school for engineering. At one point I used to own a speed shop, and I am fairly handy when it comes to fabrication and custom work. I have a turbo forester, a single cab short bed silverado, and a built G8GT. I am a cobb certified tuner, and have been tuning and building cars for about 20 years. I was always interested in 818's, but just never seemed to be in a good place to take on a build of that magnitude. I also used to have another turbo forester...... which is how I got into this predicament. My wife was driving the "beater" forester and a teenager pulled out right in front of her. She ate up his bumper and the car was deemed a total loss even though it was a fairly easy fix. The forester had such a low blue book value that I contemplated not even reporting it to the insurance, and just fixing it myself. I was hunting parts to fix it when a friend sent me a post of someone selling a partially built 818. They had lost interest and had too many projects going. The forester made for a decent donor and I already owned it so everything seemed pretty straight forward...... I negotiated a price that included delivery and here we go on this crazy ride, as I learn how to build a kit car.

Eric Rue

Last edited by e-rue; 01-11-2019 at 12:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Things that make this build different from the others:

1. This car is built from a forester donor rather than a wrx donor.
    2. We are attempting to use a 32bit SAVCS forester wiring harness and ECU.
    3. The transmission and TCU will be from a BAJA along with the sport shifter with "tap up tap down" shifting. We will also be attempting to use the JDM paddle shifters behind the forester steering wheel.
    4. We will be attempting to retain power brakes, but keep them from being overly sensitive, by using a JDM Miata brake booster.
    5. We will be attempting to retain the ABS from the forester.

I will backtrack and update this post as the build progresses.

this is the good forester (my daily)

this is the donor forester (my beater) I dont have many good photos of it, but heres a drone photo from our last get together (it's the silver one in the woods)

Last edited by e-rue; 01-22-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is where I will be building the 818. It is really not quite big enough to hold all the donor parts and all the kit parts, and all the extra stuff the car came with but I am making the most of it.

This is the bay area:

The fabrication area:

The clean room/area: (not so clean now that its full of 818 parts)

Last edited by e-rue; 01-10-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eric,
    Welcome to the 818 Family. I used a 04 FXT SAVCS as a donor. I have a 05fxt donor parts pile for my second 818 (project on hold).

Here is a link to my schematics, if your interested:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjxmxU-yAwK9hXLhEcMjnYyAQ39k

Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob, I downloaded them. I hope to be diving into the wiring harness over the next month or so.

These are the photos I was sent for the partially complete 818 kit I bought.
    I think I had already made up my mind, and after getting several more photos and working out a deal to have it delivered, I accepted and became the new owner.

Last edited by e-rue; 01-10-2019 at 10:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I took delivery, and from day one i had parts absolutely EVERYWHERE. It was pretty exciting to see the roller and all the boxes. I was a little disappointed because the fiberglass rear end had a bad crack in it, but I didn't make a big stink about it, and figured id fix it towards the end of the build.

The first thing I did was clean up the best I could so that I could actually move in the shop with all these spare parts stacked EVERYWHERE. Then I started cleaning and wiping down the 818, and getting ready to tackle the first major challenge, figuring out what had to be done to get the automatic transmission to fit correctly and what do do for a mount, since they are completely different from the manual cars.

As you can see it did not fit well at all. The pan hit the frame on the driver side, the filter was totally blocked by a side support, and the X bracing in the center needed to be totally removed for the trans pan to drop down where it was supposed to be. Another issue is the sensor in the rear of the trans and the mount is so far rearward that I was worried it was going to stick out of the back of the car.
    Last edited by e-rue; 01-10-2019 at 10:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It might seem like I have a huge headstart given that my car is already a roller...... I am realizing now that given fab work and changes required to use the forester and the automatic trans are putting me WAY behind time wise.

So I took off the transmission tail housing after looking at another video an 818 owner posted. I put it in the vice and cut the back of it off using a sawzall. I then mounted it in the Bridgeport and machined a nice flat surface to mount a block off plate to. Another obstacle was cutting off the output shaft. The modification to the case was a considerable amount of work, and I later found out that subaru made a fwd transmission that I could have robbed the tail housing off of, and would have saved me a bunch of time. Oh well live and learn.....

Last edited by e-rue; 01-10-2019 at 11:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Your attatchment's won't open.......

Post Thanks / Like
    LOVE LOVE LOVE my old antique bridgeport. Don't know what I would do without this machine.

Next I machined a block off plate, then sealed it and bolted it on. Hopefully it never needs to be removed, I used some crazy adhesive.

So I was able to get the transmission modified and reassembled. I felt pretty good about that part of it, so I took the next big step, and started cutting the frame up to make it all physically fit. Again I was blown away at how much modification was required vs. what I originally thought would be pretty minor.

I started by cutting the X bracing out completely, and then doubling the right side rail for strength.

The left side is where I ran into trouble. The pan and the drain plug was all over the frame rail so i cut it out completely, as well as the angled bracing to the shock tower.

Last edited by e-rue; 01-11-2019 at 12:23 AM.

10. Likes Jupiter818 liked this post

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome !
    With your shop and background I don't see anything that will stop you from doing your car any way you like...
    I don't always follow the rules myself - check
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...rt-s-818-build
    The more you change the more fun you have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Once I had the frame modified and everything tacked in place, it was time to figure out how to fabricate a trans mount bracket, fabricate a bracket on the frame, and also figure out what trans mount I wanted to use. Everything Subaru had for trans mounts seemed completely insane, so i used a generic energy suspension piece for a GM application. Once I had everything tacked in place, I mocked up the transmission and thats when I started feeling a little uncomfortable. The trans pan seemed like it hung low in the frame and there wasnt much to keep it from getting punctured if i ran over something so I welded a cage around the pan where it dropped down and added a piece of plate steel to bolt the transmount to.

Last edited by e-rue; 01-10-2019 at 11:47 PM.

13. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So all the fab work to make this trans work correctly has really paid off. The support no longer blocks the filter, the drain plug is easily accessible, the trans pan drops down into the recess I created, and I have put in enough reinforcing that I should never have any issues with these changes. I have started priming and painting everything now. (my primer was white)

Last edited by e-rue; 01-10-2019 at 11:59 PM.

15. Thanks AZPete thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As Art said, with your shop and skills you'll be able to do anything you like. This will be fun to watch so please keep posting.

Your attachments won't open so check out this tread about photos. After you use a gallery a few times it becomes easy:

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...tures-in-posts
    Last edited by AZPete; 11-25-2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: added link
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome. Ill be following this

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a really different approach.
    Man, some of you guys are so talented. Including our new friend, Puma. I feel like a hack.

What did you do with the other guys donor stuff? Between his donor, and your Forester, you've got parts for days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ipassgas View Post
    That's a really different approach.
    Man, some of you guys are so talented. Including our new friend, Puma. I feel like a hack.
    Oh, YOU feel like a hack, huh? I should really share more of my photos with you, lol.

20. Likes AZPete liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well to be honest I was pretty frustrated at how non-user friendly the forum was for hosting photos and I almost gave up. I came back a month later with more patience and learned how to use the gallery, and I resized all my photos and corrected all my links. I also added a few more photos and descriptions as well as a few videos. I also just learned that I can't have more than one video in a post the hard way (UGGGG!) I have a ton of new updates to the build and hope to have time to post them soon!

Puma

Post Thanks / Like
    I was so stoked that I finished the fabrication work, and in my head I wasthinking well things should speed up substantially since its mostly just bolting things together now...... so I started working on deleting the catted up pipe, when I realized a had a spare twin scroll turbo setup from a JDM subaru just hanging out on a shelf not being used. I went to take the turbo, manifolds, and up pipe off the car when I realized I had a few issues. The donor had a torn turbo inlet hose, as well as working TGV's still attached to the manifold. UGGGG so here we go backtracking again. I sourced a set of newer style TGV's to delete the throttle plates and dividers, and grabbed a NA 2.5 subaru intake off the "spare parts" shelf. Then I got lost in modification land.

Dont forget to take care of your body when you are doing this kinda stuff. High speed porting tools like a Fordom make a lot of tiny aluminum debris that you can inhale and its really bad for you. I know I sound like a damn shop teacher but wear safety glasses and a respirator if you are doing this kinda work.

I started with my most favorite tool in the whole world (mr. bridgeport) to machine out the dividers so I wouldn't have to spend so much time porting them out by hand. I cut a little more than halfway through then flipped them over and did the same from the other side.

This is my porting cart. Magic happens here (joking)

After sanding and getting a nice finish on the TGV's, I needed to plug the holes in them.

Lastly, I ported the aluminum pipe plugs smooth on the inside of the TGV.

Last edited by e-rue; 01-11-2019 at 10:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The intake I want to use is the one on the left. Stock intake on the right. The NA intake has larger straighter runners as well as a larger plenum.

This manifold is not exactly a straight forward swap, as the mounting holes for the TGV's dont line up with the ones on the turbo cars. The center holes in the manifold will have to be slotted by hand, but for the outer holes it was easiest to slot the TGV's with Mr. Bridgeport.

Last edited by e-rue; 01-11-2019 at 10:53 AM.

24. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So the intake manifold is where I got grossly side tracked once again. If it wasn't for this intake I would probably already have the brakes and harness in the car. The intake is really cool, but it has a lot of casting imperfections and mounts or bosses on it that are not used in my application. I decided to remove them and finish up with a thick glossy powder coating.

In this video you can also see the finished TGV's are what is allowing me to bolt the intake to the mill table.

Last edited by e-rue; 01-11-2019 at 04:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Removing the EGR port from the intake

Once the mill has removed as much material as possible the rest has to be done by hand

Last edited by e-rue; 01-11-2019 at 04:31 PM.

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fun fun fun. Thanks !

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry this video is a little shaky its incredibly hard to hold the phone while operating the fordom. Hahahaha. Normally when I do this I get to use both hands.

Last edited by e-rue; 01-11-2019 at 05:52 PM.

29. Likes AZPete liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you use any type of lubricant when using the fordom and a bit with teeth that small? Mine seems to load up with chips in no time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kurk,

I have seen different recommendations for lubricant, and given the sensitivity of our lungs for any of those products that off gas during high speed grinding........ I have never been comfortable using them given my respirator is particulate only. Over the years I have been successful in dry cutting at relatively low speed. I don't tend to have any issues with the cutters loading up with material. I frequently switch back and forth between single cut and cross cut, with the largest diameter single cut removing material the fastest and also the roughest. I go to a large cross cut to get a smoother finish and a small diameter cross cut to get it smoother still. After that, its sanding rolls. I really hate the fine dust that the sanding rolls create so I don't really like using them, but if you need that level of finish then its a necessary evil. Hope this helps you.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a bar of soap on my aluminum burrs when grinding aluminum which works for me to keep them from clogging up. As mentioned above tool speed also has a lot to do with the burrs clogging.

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of times I don't use lube, but in the last couple years I've started using this stuff, after seeing some comments on Little Machine Shop ( I think it was there ).

Incredible on everything from drilling, milling, motogrinding, etc. I've got on hand and also tried a number of things over many years, this is the best all around lube I've ever used. The paste is great for hand grinding work like you are showing above, brush a film on and you can go through a fair amount of cutting before you need more. I particular if you have soft aluminum clogging a drill bit or cutting tool, this ends that problem.

Liquid by my drill press:
    Boelube Liquid, 4Oz

Soft paste wax consistency for hand tapping, mill, drilling and the rest:

BOELUBE Machining Lubricant - MFR : 70302-12 Container Size: 12 oz

34. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So I shaved as much of the extra material off the thick flange as I could with the mill, and I have been painstakingly manually grinding everything to the shape and finish that I want. I forgot to take a before and after photo of the flange, so i flipped it to the other side that's not finished yet for the before shot. Both sides are basically the same.

Before

After

Post Thanks / Like
    More before and after.......

Post Thanks / Like
    You have an amazing amount of patience Sir! Looks like was never there. Do you intend to powder coat or leave as is.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I think when I started this build I was just unwilling to admit that I didn't have enough time to put into building the car...... was working full time, went back to school for another degree, and had 2 kids from a previous marriage, and was getting married again...... so anyway I wasn't getting much done on the car other than in between semesters and on holidays. It has been a long time since I updated the thread here and thought tonight was a good time to do it.

Graduation should leave me a lot more time to tinker with this build!

Last edited by e-rue; 12-08-2019 at 09:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So after graduation from ECU I had a monster party at this huge beach house we rented. Then I came home and started trying to figure out getting brakes on the car. The from brakes went right on from the forester. My plan was to install the stock brakes to get the car together and then later on down the road install some brembos. I immediately ran into problems with the rear brakes when I tried to install the caliper. The holes didn't line up at all and I had no idea what kind of backing plates the original owner had installed on the car. To make matters worse if I wanted to change the backing plates id have to remove the hub and press it apart on top of buying new backing plates. I ended up talking with a brake guru www.knsbrakes.com and he got me going, by pointing out that the backing plates were for the popular red 4pot/2pot brake upgrade that subi guys like to do. So I tossed the front brakes on the car (will upgrade to brembos later on) and in the rear I bought some re-man'd 2 pot's from autozone, and some hawk pads from KNS brakes. The fun was short lived when I realized that the calipers weren't actually off of a subaru but were being sold as a compatible part, whatever the hell that meant. In the end I had to modify the clips, and grind tabs off the new brake pads so that they would fit and work together. The overall size was perfect..... not sure what kinda hodge podge of **** i got from autozone, but lets be honest...... isn't this what we have all come to expect from autozone?

As you can tell the rotors are a significant upgrade to the stock wrx or forester brakes. Once I got the compatibility stuff figured out, I am pretty happy with them. I was super frustrated when I was doing them but they did turn out nice. I need to get the brake lines and the ABS installed so I can bleed them. So I got the axels back in, and the starter and other random pieces all reassembled, and I installed some adjustable rear links so the alignment is easier to dial in.

Last edited by e-rue; 12-08-2019 at 10:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So back to the intake manifold. The big goofy EGR pipe casted right onto the side of the intake runner with that huge port thingy sticking straight out of the front was literally driving me crazy. If you remember back when I started this intake, I left the EGR alone because i knew it would be an absolute night mare grinding for hours and hours and hours to get it fully removed. Well at some point I looked at it one too many times and started the tedious process of removing it (shown with the red circle). What you cant see from that old photo is the casted runner that runs along the bottom of the runner all the way back to the plenum. Yeah...... all that has to go!

So I started by putting it back in the mill and removing as much of the material with a large diameter cutter. As you can tell even after removing a large amount of material with the mill there is still a LOT left to grind by hand.

Last edited by e-rue; 12-08-2019 at 10:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So one of the biggest reasons I started building this car was because we LOVE LOVE LOVE doing "tail of the dragon" trips with local car groups. I drive me 05 Forester, and my wife drives her supercharged G8GT. We recently went on a trip and I was hunting for photos of my car and managed to find an 818 that was there the same weekend as me. I never saw that car, while I was there but it sure does look like he was having lots of fun.

Last edited by e-rue; 12-08-2019 at 10:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Been working on this intake manifold again. Trying not to lose interest in it, since its taking a lot longer than I anticipated. I have hand finished removing the EGR port all the way back to the plenum. Little more work and it will be ready for powdercoating.

Last edited by e-rue; 12-08-2019 at 10:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    at first i wasn't sure what that LSA blower, was for until i saw the g8. welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I went out in to the garage and started trying to get the fuel system situated and into the car. I test fit the tank and its bulging on the bottom and on the rear so it fits like a round peg in a square hole. At multiple times I almost gave up on this gen 1 tank and went aftermarket, but in the end I made it work by promising myself that I would use a radium engineering surge tank to fuel the engine and that this messy set up would just be a tank and lift pump.

So the fuel level sender and the vent were pretty straight forward, but the fuel pump assembly was not at all. In doing a little research I found that there is a second generation tank that uses the Subaru drop in assembly, simplifying a lot of what I ran into. The first thing I didn't care for was the baffling in the tank, and how tiny the hole was to get a pump into. There is literally NO room for an upgraded pump.

So I put it all together onto what looked like an ebay fuel pump hanger, only to take it apart and rivet a bent piece of aluminum to it (per the FF instructions) and then clamp the pump to the piece of aluminum, using the supplied clamp.

Last edited by e-rue; 01-02-2020 at 11:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I got ready to drop it into the tank I died laughing. First the fuel filter sock wouldn't fit in the hole. I thought for sure I was going to break the plastic webbing in it trying to roll it into a circle to get it into the tiny hole. Fortunately it didn't break but then the stock pump was almost as large as the opening and the clamp wouldn't slide into the tank. At this point I started once again looking at cutting the top of the gas tank and remaking it correctly to use the Subaru drop in assembly. With all the fab work I was already doing I talked myself out of it....... but part of me keeps wondering if I will end up back in this tank down the road cursing myself for that decision.

I jumped on amazon and ordered something that I knew would fit into the tank opening and then moved on to other stuff till they got here.

I went to look for my seatbelts, got them installed, and riveted the side covers on. I believe that I really prefer the wagon seatbelts for the 818 because they mount behind the seats as opposed to in the sides. This all went pretty straight forward as long as you used the factory hardware. If you lost any of it them you were in trouble.

Once my stainless steel zip ties came in, I was back on track, and able to wrap up the gas tank install. I am still slightly worried that gas might seep where the electrical connectors pass through. They don't appear to be sealed but nothing in the directions said to seal them so I guess I will see how it goes!

Last edited by e-rue; 01-02-2020 at 11:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    After getting really flustered with that gas tank fiasco I decided to go back in the machine shop and make more aluminum shavings. I cut my TGV's from 3 different sides to remove as much random crap from them as possible. The turbo inlet and other stuff goes near them so having a clean set with look better on top of making installs easier...... and hey maybe I lost a little dead weight as well. At this point I removed enough metal from the intake and the TGVs to fill a kitchen sized trashcan.

Lots more shavings!

Last edited by e-rue; 01-12-2020 at 09:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So jumping back to the gas tank, I bought adapter fittings that convert the tank hard lines to -6AN. Unfortunately the garbage hanger unit that fits this gas tank changes size right in front of the end of the line so I had to machine a recess into the fitting to be able to use it. (slaps forehead)

Last edited by e-rue; 01-12-2020 at 09:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast