BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Le Mans Cap

Post Thanks / Like

Le Mans Cap

I seem to be missing the screws that hold the cap to the body. Does any body now what size they are? Should I use a screw with a not or just sheet metal screws? Also, there are two larger screws that i am not sure what they are for.

Thanks Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the larger screws is for the small copper ground strap, it will attach to the 3/4 tube in the side of your trunk, inside the wheel well and then the other end will attache to a screw w/nut & washer in one of the holes holding the cap in place on the body. The The rest of the screws are phillips head chrome / stainless steel screws.. just like a wood or sheet metal screw. They are about 3/8-1/2" long, just enough to go through the fiberglass... I just installed mine yesterday. Should find instructions on about page 449/450 and also on 462/463 of the build manual

IMG_2671.jpg
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 11-24-2018 at 09:46 PM.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info

Post Thanks / Like
    The longer screw is a size #10-24 oval head. I wasn't crazy about the sheet metal screws, so I drilled the other five holes out and replaced the works with #10-32 Phillips head screws (#10-32 is pretty much standard everywhere else on my car) with washers & lock nuts on the back side. The -32 head is slightly larger than the -24, so it sticks up from the trim ring a shade more, but since all the screws are the same it looks right.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    They are #8X.75 long oval head sheet metal screws. There may be more in your kit that you could replace them with.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks mike and John. I think I’m going to go with johns idea.