Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dashboard Fitment

Post Thanks / Like

Dashboard Fitment

Hey all. Trying to get a rough idea of how my dash will fit before I put the gauges in. I've looked at many different build threads and video for comparison, but mine might be a little different due to it being the plastic dash and it having the new pillow bearing mount with the RT Turn Signal, which pushes it out some.

I realize that to get a perfect fitment, the body needs to be on, but I thought that maybe I could get some guidance if anything looks like it might need to be trimmed (future tense) so I have everything zip tied into place.

I've cut the hole for the RT Turn Signal and seem to have it right on. As others suggested, I've also cut off the plastic piece that folds in around the steering column. Here are a couple of pics.

Middle of dashboard. This is about as high as this goes before affecting some of the flush fitment around the edges. Does this look correct?

This is the driver's side corner. I think this looks pretty good?

This is the passenger side/glove box area, which is where I have most of my concern. In order to keep the middle and driver's side as shown, I end up having a small lip over the 3/4" tube towards the end by the glove box. Is this typically trimmed? Looks like I'd need at least 1/2" trimmed off to keep everything flush to the right side.

Again, I this is just a rough fitment so I know what to expect as I get further into my build.

Thanks!
    Last edited by cv2065; 11-25-2018 at 01:48 PM.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not see the pics. For what it is worth. I would have the behind the dash supports mounted. That will give you the correct angle for the dash. The supports should be horizontal. This will give you the dash height. On the top edge of the plastic dash to the frame hoop, I used industrial velcro. This seems to be holding while I complete the work behind the dash. The velcro also allows for adjustments in any direction. With the steering shaft protruding toward the driver, I lowered the RT column toward the dash and used a white pencil to mark the area to be removed. I used a die grinder, have read that a dremmel does a good job also, to grind away the plastic and the dash covering at the same time. I did cut the outline of the pencil mark with a razor. The covering gave no indication that it wanted to pull as it was ground away. Maybe there is something you can use in my ramblings.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    I do not see the pics. For what it is worth. I would have the behind the dash supports mounted. That will give you the correct angle for the dash. The supports should be horizontal. This will give you the dash height. On the top edge of the plastic dash to the frame hoop, I used industrial velcro. This seems to be holding while I complete the work behind the dash. The velcro also allows for adjustments in any direction.
    All good ideas. Thanks RR. Not sure what's going on the with the pics? I don't have the dash mount installed, am I'm sure that will be helpful. I'll also take a look at some velcro instead of zip ties once i get it in the ballpark.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the padded dash as well, but not the new steering mount that your frame has. On mine, I positioned the dash so that the steering column was centered in the oval opening side-to-side, then set the top flush with the curved bow. This put the ends about 3/4" below the same bow. When I set my body on the car, the left-most gauge was touching the body. I am about to get the body back on, but trimmed that area of the rolled edge about 1/2". I hope this, along with the bulb seals will keep the body off the gauge.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Edwardb helped me with mine by saying this first picture was to low. I know its hard to figure where it actually fits but the body will be a bit higher than it was first mounted as there is a seal you have to put on. Mine in this final position is very close to not being covered in the center. and the two ends of the dash are close to the underside of the body but do not touch. Good luck and hope my pictures help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can't fit the dash without the gauges installed. The gauges will tell you how high you can raise the dash, and you don't really need to be too concerned where the dash lines up with the hoop. The body does not rest on the hoop, and the lip of the body comes down over the front of the dash. You're putting the cart in front of the horse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    You're putting the cart in front of the horse.
    porsche.jpeg
    Mk4 Roadster: Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, T56 Magnum. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    I do not see the pics. For what it is worth. I would have the behind the dash supports mounted. That will give you the correct angle for the dash. The supports should be horizontal. This will give you the dash height. On the top edge of the plastic dash to the frame hoop, I used industrial velcro. This seems to be holding while I complete the work behind the dash. The velcro also allows for adjustments in any direction. With the steering shaft protruding toward the driver, I lowered the RT column toward the dash and used a white pencil to mark the area to be removed. I used a die grinder, have read that a dremmel does a good job also, to grind away the plastic and the dash covering at the same time. I did cut the outline of the pencil mark with a razor. The covering gave no indication that it wanted to pull as it was ground away. Maybe there is something you can use in my ramblings.
    While I will be putting the body on soon, I did the same thing you did.
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle