BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Body to Frame Fitment

Post Thanks / Like

Body to Frame Fitment

I fitted the body to the frame as indicated in the manual: secured to the firewall, raised the rear until distance was 45.5inches etc. and did the firewall notch as others have indicated. After I fitted the doors I noticed that you can see a small portion of the frame at the rear end of the body, just in front of the wheel wells. Is this normal or is the body supposed to tuck under that portion? The picture below is the portion of the frame you can see (green is the frame, and red is the body)

Frame v2.jpgFrame.jpg
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod
    350 SBC with TKO 500, 3 link rear

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a similar situation and relaxed the body where it connects to the firewall, in the end I lined up the body to the bottom of the frame slid th body as far forward as I could and then set the 45.5". I ended up having it tight on the bottom and about 3/16" between the top of the firewall and the body. My end result is that the firewall and the face of the edge around it are flush rather than the firewall recessed. Like toi look better so left it like that, will add a 3/a6" spacer along the entire edge to seal it. Looks like your fitting the body and doors all together first, right move as you'll have much less hassles later with fitment.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is normal to see some of the frame in front of the rear wheel Imo. I built 2-33's and both showed a little of the frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    You should see about 3/16" of the frame all along the passenger side and only see it on the drivers side at the back as shown. A full set of
    running boards hides this completely.

If you level the body at the cowl you will have a 3/16" space between the top of the chassis at the passenger seat side and the body where it
    wraps out over that tube. This is the reason for that notch in the firewall, it lets it come up to meet the body. If you go look at front shots of
    50 completed FF 33's at least 40 of them will look wonky from the front because they didn't adjust for the asymmetry of the glass body. It's
    not a glaring thing but if you look at a few you will start to see that something between the radiator shell and the cowl just doesn't look right.
    I see wonky from a mile away so it just bugs me more than most.
    Dale

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    You should see about 3/16" of the frame all along the passenger side and only see it on the drivers side at the back as shown. A full set of
    running boards hides this completely.

If you level the body at the cowl you will have a 3/16" space between the top of the chassis at the passenger seat side and the body where it
    wraps out over that tube. This is the reason for that notch in the firewall, it lets it come up to meet the body. If you go look at front shots of
    50 completed FF 33's at least 40 of them will look wonky from the front because they didn't adjust for the asymmetry of the glass body. It's
    not a glaring thing but if you look at a few you will start to see that something between the radiator shell and the cowl just doesn't look right.
    I see wonky from a mile away so it just bugs me more than most.
    Dale
    Wonkiness provides "character". Only characters see Wonky...