FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Body storage

Post Thanks / Like

Body storage

I've been lurking on the forum for a while, in hopes to build in the coming years.

I've got a rather tall garage, 12' ceilings, and was wondering if anyone has used any type of pully/wench system to store the body up out of the way.

Thanks!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Check out Edwardb's set up.
    Just page down until you see the body hanging from the ceiling.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...iversary-Build

His build threads are the best so check them out if you want some fantastic ideas that are well executed.
    One of his MK-4's was a push-rod motor while the other was a Coyote.

Good Luck From New Orleans!

Post Thanks / Like
    Though not exactly the same thing, one of the hot rod guys (Ehansen) has a system set up to pull his hard top up to the ceiling of his garage. See video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3mp...E3F0F&index=11
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod
    350 SBC with TKO 500, 3 link rear

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a pair of kayak hanging systems. Work very well. They come with a locking mechanism. You can raise and lower the body at will with only one guy. I bought the RADD brand but there are many out there. About $40 for both. I don't think a body buck is necessary. However, I do use a brace across the cabin.
    MKIV #8740, Canadian base kit, Picked up Dec. 2015, ‘98 Cobra 4.6 l DOHC, T45 transmission, old style IRS, Art Cuesta dieted harness/Ron Francis chassis harness, go-cart July 2018.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Check out Edwardb's set up.
    Just page down until you see the body hanging from the ceiling.
    JFYI - I've already been unabashedly plagiarizing many of Edwardb's ideas from his build threads, and the pulleys he has referenced in several updates look like they're very handy. I went on Amazon to try to locate them, and searched in vain for a good long while, trying different search terms. It turns out, what you want are actually adjustable hangers for grow lights

Here's a link to the ones I got. They're rated for 150 lb each.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    JFYI - I've already been unabashedly plagiarizing many of Edwardb's ideas from his build threads, and the pulleys he has referenced in several updates look like they're very handy. I went on Amazon to try to locate them, and searched in vain for a good long while, trying different search terms. It turns out, what you want are actually adjustable hangers for grow lights

Here's a link to the ones I got. They're rated for 150 lb each.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I'm using exactly the same ones. They're perfect for the job.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a garage with a fairly high ceiling and also an I-beam. I utilized the I-beam to hang my body. I used clamps, pulley's and a hand crank winch to hang mine. All the hardware is removable and did not require any drilling in the I beam. I have attached a picture. You will also see the dollies I purchased to sit my chassis on. The driver that delivered my kit said he was impressed with them and suggested I share them on the forum. IMG_5708.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I hung mine for over 4 yrs with just a few pulleys, some rope and 4 heavy plastic hooks. Just placed the hooks in the wheel wells, didn't use the body buck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Used my body buck as well and made crossmembers inside the front hood & rear trunk openings and it hung from the garage ceiling for about 4 years...

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or you might consider storing it outside so the heat, sun, and cold will affect it before you start working the body and fitting doors, trunk, and such. Better it moves and shrinks before you fit and paint it.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_20180513_114141.jpg

Here is How I stored mine in the shed. I used a HF hand wrench to raise and lower it. I then braced it with two 2x6 boards

bodyon.jpg
    And here is how I but it on single handed
    Last edited by chmhasy; 12-01-2018 at 08:29 PM.