Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: E-Brake Trans Tunnel Opening - Fix Created

Post Thanks / Like

E-Brake Trans Tunnel Opening - Fix Created

So I was just getting ready to put the carpeting in on the side of my transmission tunnel next to the emergency break and realized there is a massive hole there that would allow water or other debris to come in behind the carpet. I was curious if there is anybody who has come up with a nice modification of some sort to seal this off any better than it is now. I would love to hear your ideas and see some pictures if possible. And of course any comments about your personal experiences with this would be great as well. Thanks everybody for your help.
    CD7B6E5E-378E-4B7C-B99B-F0200529981A.jpg

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty sure you should have had a boot in your kit for that hole. I bought my kit second hand and it wasn't there, but I've helped others on their builds and there was a boot in the kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TBull View Post
    Pretty sure you should have had a boot in your kit for that hole. I bought my kit second hand and it wasn't there, but I've helped others on their builds and there was a boot in the kit.
    Yes, I have the leather boot. But I just was thinking of what stopping the water from coming into the boot and such.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600

Post Thanks / Like
    Modify a rubber membrane-with a slit in it to keep out the H2O....

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no water in that area unless you're driving in foot deep stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it is wet enough for water to be coming in there you will have it coming in a lot of other places. In my experience, with the Whitby soft top, water finds its way in. You just get wet in spots instead of all over.

Post Thanks / Like
    This question has been asked a lot. It's not an issue. As Rich said, unless you're trying to ford a river or something, just not a problem. There's solid air pressure in the transmission tunnel. Ask builders who have blown out cup holders.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    This question has been asked a lot. It's not an issue. As Rich said, unless you're trying to ford a river or something, just not a problem. There's solid air pressure in the transmission tunnel. Ask builders who have blown out cup holders.
    Thanks Paul. I was thinking I had seen on your 20th thread that you did something to close up the hole a bit, could not find it. It just seem odd that there is so much emphasis on sealing everything up and here you have a 8" hole in the side of the tunnel. Thanks for the reply and input... Carl

Post Thanks / Like
    It bugged me too. So I made a piece of aluminum to cover it. Light weight easy to bend aluminum from HD I think. I riveted and sealed the forward and left and right sides. The rear side is maybe an inch longer than the opening and has about a 1/4 in gap to the floor aluminum for the cable to pass through
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    Thanks Paul. I was thinking I had seen on your 20th thread that you did something to close up the hole a bit, could not find it. It just seem odd that there is so much emphasis on sealing everything up and here you have a 8" hole in the side of the tunnel. Thanks for the reply and input... Carl
    You're right. I did mess around with a cover on that build. It didn't fit once I had the TKO in the tunnel. I may have used some of it, but regardless not close to sealing the hole. My previous builds used the Mustang donor e-brake which is larger and covers up much of the hole. With the newer FF designed e-brake setup, the hole is much more obvious and I agree is a little jarring at first. But in actual operation, is a non-issue as already described. You're right about sealing up from the engine compartment. That hot air coming into the cockpit is a no-no. But the air in the transmission tunnel is (maybe surprisingly) not heated. In my experience is ambient temp, and in fact I use use scoops to bring it into the cockpit and works fine. But that's a whole other discussion.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like

My fix to the E-Brake Handle Hole in the Trans Tunnel Side.

So first of all I want to say thanks for everyone who replied to this inquiry... I respect the thoughts of everyone one here, but I have to tell you, I just was not convinced that that large of a hole was not a problem. So, I have come up with my own "fix" for this and really think that it came out good. It was very easy and I think provides a ton more protection to the back side of the carpet in this area. I have posted it on my BUILD Thread HERE for anyone interested. I feel better about this issue and it may or may not be something that you can use on your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since we’re talking about e-brakes sort of.... does anybody have any experience with an electronic e-brake like E stop?
    Trying to make some more room for my wife.
    And what are your thoughts about losing a hand operated e-brake. I’m a little torn with that. It seems like in 40+ years of
    driving I’ve never had an actual “practical” use for a mechanical e-brake. (for fun yes ). My wife’s BMW just has a button.

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    So first of all I want to say thanks for everyone who replied to this inquiry... I respect the thoughts of everyone one here, but I have to tell you, I just was not convinced that that large of a hole was not a problem. So, I have come up with my own "fix" for this and really think that it came out good. It was very easy and I think provides a ton more protection to the back side of the carpet in this area. I have posted it on my BUILD Thread HERE for anyone interested. I feel better about this issue and it may or may not be something that you can use on your build.
    Looked at what you did. Certainly doesn't hurt anything. But I guess it's safe to say you wouldn't like the tunnel vents I've put on each of my builds. Saw them on another build when I was doing my first one and have used it since. Poor mans way to get air into the footboxes without all the vent tubes, fans, etc.

Have been caught and driven more than I want to say in heavy driving ran. Never a drop of moisture through the vents. I'm not promoting the vents, just saying the e-brake area is the same. There's positive air pressure in the trans tunnel and water isn't an issue. Really. But I totally understand it's your build so do what you're comfortable with.
    Last edited by edwardb; 11-29-2018 at 11:51 PM.

14. Likes Mark Eaton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SSNK4US View Post
    Since we’re talking about e-brakes sort of.... does anybody have any experience with an electronic e-brake like E stop?
    Trying to make some more room for my wife.
    And what are your thoughts about losing a hand operated e-brake. I’m a little torn with that. It seems like in 40+ years of
    driving I’ve never had an actual “practical” use for a mechanical e-brake. (for fun yes ). My wife’s BMW just has a button.

Kurt
    No experience (yet) but I've heard nothing but good things about the E-Stopp brakes. I'm planning to use one on my roadster build once it arrives. I'll need to work out whether I mount it in the trunk or on a frame rail. Revology mount the E-Stopp in the trunk on all the Shelby replicas, and it's a nice clean install. I like that it also serves as a theft deterrent if you wire it to the disconnected side of a battery cutoff switch.

e-stopp-parking-brake-kit.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Looked at what you did. Certainly doesn't hurt anything. But I guess it's safe to say you wouldn't like the tunnel vents I've put on each of my builds. Saw them on another build when I was doing my first one and have used it since. Poor mans way to get air into the footboxes without all the vent tubes, fans, etc.
    Oh great... another idea of yours I'll have to steal.
    Last edited by JohnK; 11-30-2018 at 01:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Oh great... another idea of yours I'll have to steal.
    Can't claim credit for that one. Was from a site mk4build.com back when it was mk3build.com. Full disclosure, I've installed the transmission tunnel scoop three times. Has worked OK with ambient temp air. Some have said they got hot air though in one or both vents. There is some variation I'm guessing based on engine, trans, header setup, etc. Has been discussed in other threads in the past, but haven't seen it recently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did a car that used it earlier this year and it worked great. It did have an interlock so that it could not be activated if the ignition was on, therefore eliminating the possibility of it being energized while the car is running/moving. I don't know but wonder if some states with rigid inspection process might be a little prickly about this since the electrical aspect makes it so that it isn't a true mechanical connection to the driver. No matter how they are activated I always think of these as a parking brake and not an emergency brake.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Just be aware that it will be a PARKING brake, not an emergency brake. Oh, Jeff beat me to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    It did have an interlock so that it could not be activated if the ignition was on, therefore eliminating the possibility of it being energized while the car is running/moving. I don't know but wonder if some states with rigid inspection process might be a little prickly about this since the electrical aspect makes it so that it isn't a true mechanical connection to the driver. No matter how they are activated I always think of these as a parking brake and not an emergency brake.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    Just be aware that it will be a PARKING brake, not an emergency brake. Oh, Jeff beat me to it.
    I recalled seeing a video on Youtube a while back where someone was demonstrating the E-Stopp as an emergency brake and it did, in fact, bring the car to a stop. I went back and read the install instructions for the E-Stopp and they do reference connecting the blue wire to an ignition source to prevent the unit from being activated while the ignition is on. There's a caveat that if you choose not to connect this wire, you do so at your own risk so it's not strictly required to connect this wire. If you really wanted an emergency brake vs. a parking brake you could simply choose to not connect the wire and live with the risk that you could accidentally press the button. All that said, my last two cars have had electric parking/emergency brakes. I've honestly never thought to try them to see if they work with the ignition on but now you have me curious to try it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    The product “Flex Seal” is available all over the place and they make a rubberized spray as well as a very wide/thick tape. I used the spray at all of my sound deadner seams, so that the foil didn’t show through my black carpet as well as to seal the edges. The tape I used around the top of my shifter at the top of the tranny tunnel to seal the internal rubber boot that is underneath the exterior visible shifter boot and I used it to seal off my e-brake opening. It worked extremely well for both and probably overkill as mentioned, but it tripped my trigger...

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that you've closed up that spot(?), don't forget to drill some holes in the floor to let the water out when you get caught in the rain.

22. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, got those in case of the inevitable...

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the E-Stopp thoughts guys. Definitely would be used as a parking brake only. Thanks for the Revology reference John. I’ve never heard of them but now I wish I had a spare 170k laying around. I really like the trunk idea, but like you I guess I’ll see how it goes when I get to that point.

Jeff where did you mount it on the build you did. I’m not wanting to weld anything on my new not matching anything flat black version powder coated chassis that nobody knew was coming
    Oh btw I met you at the end of the HB show when 80% of everyone was gone. You were over at the FF table with Dave and a couple of the girls and I asked Dave how do I get a deal I said omg your the famous Jeff Kleiner and I shook your hand. (I still haven’t washed it LOL)

Carl I’m like you and not fond of open holes and not to be a killjoy but have you given any thought that if you do ford a river, or any big puddles, what’s going to happen to the water that’s trapped between your two boots? I don’t see it air drying very well with your new inner seal. I drive my wife crazy by overthinking things. Just thought I’d throw that out there.

Kurt

Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Duck tape on the transmission side of the sheetmetal
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like

Carl I’m like you and not fond of open holes and not to be a killjoy but have you given any thought that if you do ford a river, or any big puddles, what’s going to happen to the water that’s trapped between your two boots? I don’t see it air drying very well with your new inner seal. I drive my wife crazy by overthinking things. Just thought I’d throw that out there.

Kurt
    I'll worry about that when I take the Roadster boating....

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol!!!

Loving your build btw

Kurt

Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll worry about that when I take the Roadster boating....
    boating with a roadster.jpg