FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: cold air intake rubbing on hood

Post Thanks / Like

cold air intake rubbing on hood

My cold air intake hits the top of my hood. I was wondering what kind of setup others have for their 4.6L. Or if anyone made their own? I really need an oval design
    hood rub.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a '98 4.6 DOHC with a very similar looking setup. Mine is oval into a 4" round and fits fine. I have 1/4" shims on the motor mounts so that the driver's side exhaust manifold clears the steering shaft. See pic on previous post today on hydro boost question. Very nice looking engine, by the way.
    MKIV #8740, Canadian base kit, Picked up Dec. 2015, ‘98 Cobra 4.6 l DOHC, T45 transmission, old style IRS, Art Cuesta dieted harness/Ron Francis chassis harness, go-cart July 2018.

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe, what brand is your oval to 4" round? I'd like to get one.

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s part number SPE-9791 from Summit Racing. It’s PVC 4” to 5.2” x 3.1” oval. It’s $20 and comes with the SS clamps. I also bought the 4” 30 degree aluminum tubing SPE-97370 (required some trimming) and other bits and pieces from Summit. I had a local welder weld the nipples. The elbow is 3.5” and came with the cold air intake from the Cobra I tore down. Again, nice job on dressing up your engine. I also have an aluminum oil catch can but it is low and behind the brake reservoirs.

Joe
    MKIV #8740, Canadian base kit, Picked up Dec. 2015, ‘98 Cobra 4.6 l DOHC, T45 transmission, old style IRS, Art Cuesta dieted harness/Ron Francis chassis harness, go-cart July 2018.

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe, thanks for the info and for the complements too! I like your polished brake reservoirs. I have the original plastic ones from FFR when the car was built. I need to upgrade to something shinny (LOL). I looked at a few or your posts and noticed you have the Ron Francis wiring too. Here's a pic of where mine was installed. My engine is actually from a Lincoln Mark 8 (4.6L DHOC). A Cobra intake was installed at about 6K miles.
    PICT0013-9.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice setup on the wiring. The brake reservoirs are FFR. I have the old style IRS with a 98 Lincoln Mark VIII aluminum pumpkin and spindles. I also made my drive shaft with the original Lincoln aluminum yokes and shaft.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dpariso View Post
    Joe, thanks for the info and for the complements too! I like your polished brake reservoirs. I have the original plastic ones from FFR when the car was built. I need to upgrade to something shinny (LOL). I looked at a few or your posts and noticed you have the Ron Francis wiring too. Here's a pic of where mine was installed. My engine is actually from a Lincoln Mark 8 (4.6L DHOC). A Cobra intake was installed at about 6K miles.
    PICT0013-9.jpg
    I have the original chrome reservoir from FFR that I did not use. You're in Beach Park....I'm in Kildeer. if you want to stop by it's yours for maybe a bottle of Jack or a case of beer.

Steve
    Last edited by FLPBFoot; 11-30-2018 at 10:03 AM.
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello ILPBFoot. Sounds too good to be true! Bottle of Jack it is
    Can you send me a pic of them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Be wary that you want the larger diameter one with the air hole in the cap. FFR has been supplying these in the last while. I have one of the older style ones without the hole and replaced it with the FFR pair I have now. The new ones also have an aluminum circumference bracket that allows proper orientation of the outlet elbow, unlike the older style.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dpariso View Post
    Hello ILPBFoot. Sounds too good to be true! Bottle of Jack it is
    Can you send me a pic of them?
    Okay, I must apologize. I went looking for the FFR chrome reservoir and my wife reminded me I already sold it back in May. I have two of the small Wilwood plastic ones, but not what you are looking for.

So sorry about that!!

Steve
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Joe, do you have a part # or a pic of the one with a larger diameter and air hole in the cap that I should get? these are the ones I have now B.R's.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless you're wedded to the look of the F5 reservoirs, there are lots of styles out there. One of the most common used on our builds is by CNC. The model 1483 shown in the picture below has 3 reservoirs to serve your hydraulic clutch as well. If you just need a double reservoir, the CNC part number is 1482.

Cheers,

John

0e7337168_1526079317_cnc-1483640-x-480 by jhsitton, on Flickr
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Reservoirs.jpg Used the same ones

Post Thanks / Like
    The FFR ones are in their catalogue, #34168.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the cold air intake I made for my 4.6 SOHC. It's inspired by the original's carb/turkey pan set up and gets air from the hood scoop.

There are more photos in this threads:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Beautification
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...r-Cookie-Sheet

David
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM