Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Fuel Return Line question

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Return Line question

I am installing a DART 347 with Holley Sniper EFI. Per Holley's recommendation I have run 3/8" hard send lines and 5/16" hard return lines under the chassis in the usual location. I will use the supplied 3/8" ID Vapor guard hose to connect to the fuel tank from the hard lines. Holley's instructions and their online video recommends drilling into the tank to place the below bulk head fitting for the return line. They even talk about drilling into the existing fuel pickup to place this bulk head fitting.

My question is it ok for me to skip this bulk head fitting and just run my return line into the return port which is already on the fuel pickup?

thanks,

Mark
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    If you already have a provision for a return just use it. I would not add a fitting if you dont need to.

Post Thanks / Like
    That makes perfect sense. I guess what was confusing me is that the guy in the Holley website video is holding a fuel pickup much like he FFR version and talking about drilling a hole for this bulk head fitting and ignoring the return line that is already there. I didn't know if there is something special about this bulk head fitting which makes it better than the regular return line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its probably about the size. The Ford / FFR return is small, and obviously Holley wants a bigger return so there's no restriction. That fitting looks like a -6AN (3/8 inside) and the FFR return is 1/4". Even with your 5/16" return lines, this 1/4" thing becomes the tightest spot.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Since the FFR return port was smaller than the one recommended by Holley, I went ahead and drilled a new hole in the tank to incorporate the larger sniper return. There wasn't enough room to drill into the pick-up itself. I then sealed the FFR port. I also enlarged the access panel so I could access everything easier should I need to in the future. So far no leaks or fuel return issues.

D5AB4190-8078-4635-B8BC-5D909F689519.jpg
    Last edited by RJD; 11-28-2018 at 09:28 AM.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    So how are you handling fuel aeration if you just dumping it back through the top of the tank?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RJD View Post

Since the FFR return port was smaller than the one recommended by Holley, I went ahead and drilled a new hole in the tank to incorporate the larger sniper return. There wasn't enough room to drill into the pick-up itself. I then sealed the FFR port.

Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post

So how are you handling fuel aeration if you just dumping it back through the top of the tank?

I don't know that aeration is a problem, but I do know one thing that definitely can show up here.

If the returned fuel is not going directly in the sump (with the fuel pump) - then you are continually pumping the sump low.

This will show up in hard (autocross type) corners / acceleration / heavy braking as loss of fuel pressure.

Pipe the (aftermarket / prototype) return inside the tank to the sump - then you are continually over filling the sump (works better, and that was the OEM plan).

RJD's return looks like it might drop into the sump sitting still, but likely not under G forces (when you need gas in the sump)...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    Run the return line to the bottom of the sump. Unless you drive around on fumes, the end of the return line will be below the fuel level. Didn't consider high g forces, but I don't see myself racing either.
    Last edited by RJD; 11-28-2018 at 04:39 PM.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Boydster: the return on the FFR tank fitting is 1/4. Nevertheless, I'd route your return line there anyway. Here's my thinking: I would have to believe that a good amount of the fuel traveling through the feed side will be consumed in the engine, so there shouldn't be that much on the return. Even with a 1/4 "bottleneck", I would have to believe that is sufficient to handle it. I'm using 3/8 for both feed and return, and my return goes into the tank fitting. Just my 2 cents.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    The 1/4 return is probably fine, but I didn't want to redo it later if it wasn't. In any case, the mod was easy enough. Running the return to the bottom of the sump should take care of aeration issues and keep the pump from going dry in high g turns. This diagram is from the Holley Sniper instructions:

428CF4EF-C4EA-4F58-ACF3-43D38B305959.jpeg
    Last edited by RJD; 11-28-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sniper Fuel Return line

Thanks everyone to your responses and PMs. I decided to go ahead and drill into the fuel pickup and install the bulk head fitting with 5/16" ID hose.

12. Likes TexasAviator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck. I hope you don't have trouble with your tune, that is going to aerate the hell out of your fuel.

15. Likes Sigurd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As an FYI, here's the video that sold me on the Pro M Racing fuel pump hangar. Shows some of the aeration that Rich is referring to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ium8jf4Jm04
    Last edited by cv2065; 12-22-2018 at 06:54 PM.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Something to remember here is stock pumps have been replaced with walbro pumps in stock hangers for decades. I am one that used them this way. It will be fine. If you want to mitigate it great but not necessary unless you are running your pump at wot with no gas in the tank down a track. ��

18. Thanks Mark Eaton thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rich and cv2065, Thanks for the input about aeration. I watched that youtube video, Interesting. This is the set up that has been recommended to me by Mike Forte and the Holley company so I'm going to go ahead and run it like this and see what happens. I'll try to remember to post my results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark, how has this been working for you? I'm at the decision point of leaving the 1/4 line in place (easy button) or enlarging it. I have the same motor and Sniper EFI as you.

Terry
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    Terry, I have 100 miles in go kart and no problems, it seems to be running great! No aeration problems that I can see.

Mark