FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Diving in from UpNorth

Post Thanks / Like

Diving in from UpNorth

Hi all from Quebec City, Canada. I made my deposit this week for a Coupe 65.
    Last May I went at Mott College to attend the build school.
    And this October I went for a small road trip to Wareham to visit FFR. Dave and Dan were awesome at taking their time so I could visit the factory and ask all the questions about everything related to my dream project.
    So you guys will be in for a treat...I’m a pencil pusher by trade not a wrench guy but I don’t mind getting grease on my hands and forefront.
    I plan on building a very « bland » Coupe compared to what some of you guys are working on, with all parts new from FFR and Valin, up here in Canada.
    Be prepared for very basic questions...the kind some of you might read and slap their head thinking « What a green horn this Canuck is.. » and that to be polite...but I’m ready to soak the heat in exchange for the wishdom you can provide all.
    Wish me luck...

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on taking the first step! It will be fun. Take your time. It's great that you did the build school, it helps to build some confidence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome and congrats on your Coupe. Nothing wrong with a basic build at all, remember its your car and you can always upgrade things later.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's very difficult to stay on course and build a "stock" FFR expecially as you read articles here on this forum. I had the avantage of not having this forum around when I built my "stock" FFR Mark I some years ago. BUT after it was built and to my suprise actually running, the bug hit (and I found the forums) of what if I add this or that to the car. I think having a first build as "stock" has some advantages of - well it worked before I changed the ... ! In my progression I went from a completely by the book build to changing out suspension parts, adding better brakes, tire size, rear end gears, transmission changes, supercharger, and then a bored and stroked carb engine. It never stops as now I'm thinking of adding a supercharger to the carb engine.
    Welcome to the fun as it really can be fun building!
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the kind words guys.
    I am undertaking this like a first marthon; just get to the finish line not looking at the clock.
    I will take my time and drown you with questions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on getting the Coupe. It’s the right car to get!

Don’t worry about asking any and all questions, that’s what the forum is for. One day your build thread will teach other newbies!

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the Coupe. I also was in that class in May. I'm glad you made up your mind and ordered - I'm still not capable of that. Good luck, post lots of pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rleon View Post
    Congrats on the Coupe. I also was in that class in May. I'm glad you made up your mind and ordered - I'm still not capable of that. Good luck, post lots of pictures.
    Hey Robert!
    Nice to hear from you. I remember you were very good and precise at wrenching! I’ll tell you one thing: pushing on the order button was a little scary I must confess!
    Concerning pics, I will...in the future...

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! There's nothing basic about the 65 type. Roger