FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Title and Registration Options

Post Thanks / Like

Title and Registration Options

Soon to be new owner and I've got two options as I see it. Car is currently titled in another state as 1966 AC of some sort and I could just title the same in Georgia, tax/tag/insurance and I'm done. Or, I could probably go through some process, still researching, to have it titled in GA correctly as a FFR Roadster. I don't plan on selling any time soon but what is the conventional wisdom on make/model/year for titling these vehicles for hassle free transfer of ownership?
    Thanks, S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdb999 View Post
    Soon to be new owner and I've got two options as I see it. Car is currently titled in another state as 1966 AC of some sort and I could just title the same in Georgia, tax/tag/insurance and I'm done. Or, I could probably go through some process, still researching, to have it titled in GA correctly as a FFR Roadster. I don't plan on selling any time soon but what is the conventional wisdom on make/model/year for titling these vehicles for hassle free transfer of ownership?
    Thanks, S.
    Depending on the state if you can title it as a 1966. Many states like N. Carolina have favorable DVM regs for these cars while other will break you chops. As a 1965 "Antique" (any car or any reproduction of a car 35 years old or more) my car gets exempted from annual state inspections, is not subject to pollution regulations, can run 1965 plates & gets favorable discounted annual property tax rating.

EDIT used 1965 because the plate is yellow on black while the 1966 are black on yellow.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 12-03-2018 at 12:01 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, In Georgia I’m not subject to any of those regardless of year, but there is clearly value in keeping it a 1966 registration for the next owner. What if that next owner lived in a state that actually laid eyes on incoming vehicles, it’s obviously not a 66’. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdb999 View Post
    Thanks, In Georgia I’m not subject to any of those regardless of year, but there is clearly value in keeping it a 1966 registration for the next owner. What if that next owner lived in a state that actually laid eyes on incoming vehicles, it’s obviously not a 66’. Thoughts?
    It may not be a 1966 by year of build, but it is a definitely a 1966 by looks. If you ever sell it having it titled as a 1966 could help the new owner with emissions checks, safety inspections, and taxes. Mine is titled as a 2017, I wished Ks had a provision to title a vehicle by the year it is a replica of. I would not try to change it’s title.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    I would go w/ what you already have. I bought my MkI in Va and titled it in Md. It was Va titled as a 65 and Md was fine w/ that. I bought my MkII out of state and tagged it in Md as a 2005 because that's how it was titled when I bought it. I had maybe a dozen friends w/ Cobras of some type and they were all titled as a 65 based on the MSO. I argued for a while working my way up the management ladder at the MVA and they wouldn't budge. If I wanted a Md title it would be a 2005. 10 yrs later we moved to Va, and I had a heck of a time because their computer system said a 2005 car needed an emissions inspection. Took me 6 weeks or so but I finally got it changed to a 65. My experience says that most states really like to simply take the previous state's info and use it, so I wouldn't change a thing. I think the year is way more important than whatever the make and model is.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with keeping it titled as a 66. I had a similar experience to CraigS. I bought my MKIV from out of state, it was titled as a 2018 in Mass. I went to the special vehicles office for Louisiana DMV to do the tax, title and license and they made it clear that antique plates were not an option. Had it been titled originally as an antique, they would have simply just accepted the year on the original title. It doesn't make much difference in Louisiana either, we don't have emissions tests. We do have a bi-annual safety inspection so I had to install a backup light to get the car to pass but that's about it. At any rate, it may be helpful to a future owner and the antique plates look cooler!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that pretty much setttles it. Thanks all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Insurance is another thing and varies by state. But if titling as a 65 or antique there can be insurance issues. These are not '65s nor antiques so make sure your agent is aware otherwise there will be problems if there is the need for an unfortunate claim. mine is titled in NH has a "65 replica"....insured like a daily driver with no restrictions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterAdam View Post
    Insurance is another thing and varies by state. But if titling as a 65 or antique there can be insurance issues. These are not '65s nor antiques so make sure your agent is aware otherwise there will be problems if there is the need for an unfortunate claim. mine is titled in NH has a "65 replica"....insured like a daily driver with no restrictions.
    The specialized agents & companies most of us use are aware of the various local laws & DMV regs. Mine, Infinity, issues unrestricted mileage daily use policy's for the FFR at attractive rates. If an agent is not up to speed, no pun intended, with these cars its best to shop around. My normal auto policy carrier does not insure my COBRA.

Most of the guys in my club use Infinity due to having a local agent to work with.

FWIW NCDMV titles the FFR's under its Antique Auto program. My "official" plates are labeled Antique Auto - XXXX. Really lucked out with this used to live in NJ which can be a horror show trying to get a FFR registered & through state inspections.

My state inspection was a DMV officer coming to the house by appointment to check bill of sales against the serial numbers in the car & issuing me a state generated VIN. Comment after 20 minutes was very cool car & I have never been involved with the state since other then to send them my annual licence/tax fee.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 12-04-2018 at 12:01 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi.
    I have problem to get room for the licence plate on my Mk4. It looks like your plate fit well?
    How did you do that?

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a few threads on the plate fix all somewhat similar. In my case I cut a slot in the plate light lens. Trimmed a section out of the top of the plate. Ran some insulation tape around the plate cut to electrically insulate it. Slid the plate into the cut slot with some clear silicone to seal it far enough to clear the trunk handle. Silicone bonded the plate to the lights licence plate cross bar.

Other solutions are notching the plate around the handle (I wanted to keep the "1965" so the was a nogo for me). Or cutting the lens & slot reversing the lights electronics upside down so you don't have to trim the plate. Some worry about the legality if cutting the plate. No issue in NC & some other states that let you run non-official plates.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234

Post Thanks / Like
    First question, Are you getting a Title or Bill of Sales? In GA you can buy plates for a car with only a bill of sale. Older cars (can't remember the exact age break point) does not require a title. And, 1965 Factory Five Roadster MK4 is in the DMV computer and can be registered as such. If you want more details, PM me and I'll give you my phone number.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky2009 View Post
    First question, Are you getting a Title or Bill of Sales? In GA you can buy plates for a car with only a bill of sale. Older cars (can't remember the exact age break point) does not require a title. And, 1965 Factory Five Roadster MK4 is in the DMV computer and can be registered as such. If you want more details, PM me and I'll give you my phone number.
    Official NC DVM inspection of purchase bill of sale & Certificate Of Origin documents, issue of VIN if necessary, state title, first years vehicle registration, license plates & payment of state sales tax
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hugo-k View Post
    Hi.
    I have problem to get room for the licence plate on my Mk4. It looks like your plate fit well?
    How did you do that?
    Check out Jeff Kleiner's license plate mod: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...91650054204648 (Click the photo in the center of the post and that will enlarge the photo & bring up arrows on the right of the photo so you can see the successive steps).

That should get you started. As Kevin said, an option in lieu of or in addition to the Kleiner mod is to notch the bottom of the license tag.

Cheers,

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Opposite from what you would think, insurance on a car that registered as an antique is usually cheaper. There are some restrictions, like mileage limits. But most of us are well within them driving as much as we want. I highly recommend using a specialized agent like Midwest. There are several insurance threads for you to read. The BIG thing is you want is "agreed upon value", which is NOT the same thing as "stated value". (which you don't want)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! i Think I will trim the licence plate on top/bottom, move the light up, as far as can, maybe I need to relocate the trunk lid lock handle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hugo-k View Post
    Thanks! i Think I will trim the licence plate on top/bottom, move the light up, as far as can, maybe I need to relocate the trunk lid lock handle.
    No need to move the handle, thats why you are farting around with the light & plate so you don't have too. Also don't over think this.

If you can't visualize it trace the plates outline on some thin stiff cardboard. Lay the cardboard up under the light without the plastic lens in it. See where you will need to trim the plate to clear the handles stem if you don't flip the bulbs carrier 180 degrees & cut the cardboard.

Put some blue tape on the plate & trace the cut cardboard onto it. Make the cut on the plate, cut a slice out of the lens & put it all together. Just take your time.

If you flip the bulb carrier you most likely will not have to notch the plate, but you will still need to slice the lens. Tried to make a close-up of mine. Should be able to see that the plate will trimmed to just above the NC letters. If you follow a line across the actual top of the plate in the first picture you can see how far it would need to insert into the light to clear the handle without the trim.

Kevin
    MKIV #8234

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, will look into this tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't have to trim my plate at all or move the handle using Jeff's mod. It works great and has been fine even is a couple torrential Florida rainstorms.