BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Radiator Fit Question

Post Thanks / Like

Radiator Fit Question

Hey guys,

I went to mock up the radiator today, I went with the Dewitts, and it doesn't look quite right. The driver side looks way higher than the passenger so I figure I have a couple options. I's sure I have the rubber donor part in the right orientation, but wanted to show it just incase I'm totally missing something.

1. Shave down the mounting tab on the radiator driver side to get it level with the passenger side. Or
    2. Remake or bend bracket on the driver side to make it level with the passenger side.

I'd rather not have to make a new bracket and reweld to the frame if I'm missing any other fit up issues. What are you thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    The stock c5 radiator uses rubber pieces on both the driver and the passenger side. Does yours?
    Ryan
    GTM #511
    Build log: gtm.perkinsons.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, sure does. I figured I would need to have someone weld a tab at the top to attach to the frame, but now need to figure out why this is off side to side. Likely need to fab something up on the bottom to level it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd probably start with removing the rubber on the LH side and set the radiator in there and see what it looks like. If it's then lower on the LH side, I'd just shave some rubber off the bottom edge of the mount and try it again. If it only goes to level and there's no room for any rubber in there at all, then.....yeah....I'd probably start doing some cutting and welding....or break out some big cresent wrenches and do some creating bending of that LH mount bracket?
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    On my build, I had to build up the passenger side with rubber to get the radiator to fit square and to get the top aligned. I then used an aluminum angle across the entire radiator to form a taller lip and I riveted this angle to the chassis. Pictures attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the pics Mkraus01. A little hard to see the alignment. Are you referencing building up the round rubber piece on the passenger side so the pin isn't sitting centered in the frame hole?

Do you have any pics from the top showing the alignment of the radiator with respect to the frame? I set mine back in there tonight and just wondering the final angle orientation of the radiator with respect to the frame. Any help is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me try and get some better pictures tonight. The hood is on now, so it makes getting in there a little more difficult.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, you will want to get that LH top corner mounted as low as you can....the radiator hose normally rubs on the bottom of the hood, so the more clearance you can create there the better.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, here is what I did. My passenger side pin is centered in the mounting hole, but I built it up using extra rubber so the radiator would sit square with the upper frame. After it was all square at the top, it was sitting really low on the 3 upper mounting tabs that come off the top of the frame. I decided to add a ~1” extruded aluminum angle across the entire top of the radiator to create essentially an extension to the top lip of the radiator to create more room to drill and rivet. This angle is bolted on both ends of the radiator. If you look closely to the pictures, you can see the bolt at the end, the top of the radiator, and the aluminum angle extension. Hopefully this all makes sense.

Thanks
    -Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to get some more pics and sending them over my way. Seems like I took 2 steps forward and 3 steps back on others parts of my build today, but thankfully Shane answered a few emails from me to get me back on track. I'll jump back on this radiator soon. Thanks again.

Sean