Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Air Cleaner/Hood Scoop fitment issues

Post Thanks / Like

Air Cleaner/Hood Scoop fitment issues

Good afternoon everyone. Got the hole cut in my hood and on the car and was test fitting the hood scoop but the engine/EFI/air cleaner sits about 3/4” too high. (And I had to turn the air cleaner sideways to close the hood.)

I know there are larger hood scoops out there and that may be the solution, but I like the low profile of the FFR scoop. The current air cleaner is 3” high off the EFI flange, 8 3/8” wide and 11 3/8” long. As you can see I don’t have much room side to side (especially since the EFI/engine isn’t centered in the hole, is that common?), maybe another inch total and probably have another 2” lengthwise.

Anyone have suggestions on lower profile air cleaners? (Been looking through Summits site but nothing yet.) If I do go with a smaller/lower profile air cleaner do you think i’ll have issues with getting enough air into the engine?

I saw some forum members had some nice cold air intakes. Maybe that would be a good solution?

If you think the hood scoop is the way to go, any suggestions? I know Shell Valley Cobra has a taller horoscope and they are within driving distance from me.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Mark

IMG_1026.JPG
    IMG_1027.JPG

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Could this Air Cleaner Help?

https://www.jegs.com/i/RPC/707/R2220X/10002/-1

I've got this one on mine and it fits under the hood with no scoop; however, be advised that I'm From The Dark Side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Could this Air Cleaner Help?

https://www.jegs.com/i/RPC/707/R2220X/10002/-1

I've got this one on mine and it fits under the hood with no scoop; however, be advised that I'm From The Dark Side.
    Thanks Steve, that just might work. I didn't see the width on it. You happen to know off hand? I can give them a call as well. I like the look of it too. I wonder if the open top version would give me more air flow: https://www.jegs.com/p/RPC/RPC-Oval-...46596/10002/-1

Of course that is WAY more expensive.

I don't say much on the forums but enjoy reading them. Nice to see you back, hope your build is going well.

Thanks,
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, if you can confirm Steve, is that 2" total height from flange to top or just a 2" filter? Saw one at Summit that said 2" high but then said total height was 3.5".

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mark,

I'll measure it when I get home tonight, but it is pretty small and rather skinny.
    Until then you can see it pretty well on the attached Youtube:

https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I was in the same boat as you. Height and width are going to narrow your options but I second using the FFR scoop as it just looks right. I used a 11” k&n filter top with a just over 2” tall k&n filter with a aluminum base from Randy’s racing filters that I cut another 1/4” off the bottom. With my victor jr that’s all the height I could get and 11” diameter is all your going to get in the cut out with out it rubbing. With this 11” you are looking for .300” per side to ensure clearance when the engine rocks around given you have 1/2” of clearance on the top of your side pipes. To get the filter even side to side I had to bend the air filter threaded rod to center it in the scoop hole although you would never know by looking at it. For me it works good but this mess could have been a nightmare. I suggest get the base and lid and adjust the then measure and get as tall of a filter as you can with leaving some scoop clearance on the top (3/8” at the center tapering to 1/2” at the sides. P.S. the bug eye filters kill hp pretty bad. Good luck.

2C04E5F7-6EB7-4D36-AD85-1F263FA56335.jpg
    Last edited by GFX2043mtu; 12-03-2018 at 07:37 PM.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    • The cleaner is 2 3/4" tall from the flange to the outer edge, but 3 1/8" to the top of the center.
    • It is an 8" by 12" oval so it is pretty darn small so I think this may give you some much-needed clearance.
    • Also, it appears that you could belt sand the seating flange down about 1/2" to maybe as much as 5/8" if needed.

Hope This Helps!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-03-2018 at 08:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Steve and GFX for the information. You’ve both given me some good option that I can explore. Once I find a solution I’ll repost!