Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Made My Own Wilwood Gas Pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Made My Own Wilwood Gas Pedal

I posted this on the other forum with the rest of the details on installing my coyote gas pedal. When I was trying to decide on what to do for the pad I searched on here and didn't find a solution I liked. So I am posting it for just the pad because I figure some might want to do this little mod as well.

After I was happy with the location of my coyote gas pedal I wanted to do something for the pad to match the others. I don't know why Wilwood does not just sell a gas pedal pad... Anyway, so I had the idea of buying two of the clutch/brake pads and making my own. I got them for under $9 each on amazon (part # 330-11280). I cut off the last row of holes on each one. Sanded them down to get as close of an even seam as I could. Cleaned up the heat discoloration and added a grove at the joint to make it look like the rest of the pad. I also got some stainless star bit screws from Ace Hardware to match the other set (although they are a security star bit). Once I had the new pads all laid out on the pedal I had to trim the top right and bottom left corner of the pedal. The left was just for a cleaner look but the top right was to make sure the pedal didn't hit the right side of the footbox side wall. I have very happy with how it all turned out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hacksaw84; 12-02-2018 at 09:03 PM.

2. Thanks JoeAIII thanked for this post
    Likes FF33rod, WIS89 liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Do you mind if I copy your idea?

4. Thanks Hacksaw84 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent idea. I've been looking for an alternative to the Ford Coyote pedal. Hope you don't mind but I will be copying on my build.
    MkIV Complete Kit #9423, Gen 3 Coyote, TKO-600, IRS Torsen 3.73, Wilwoods, DA Konis - Delivered 9/14/18

6. Thanks Hacksaw84 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work. That looks great.
    Gen 3 Coupe, Gen 2 Coyote, Wilwoods, IRS, Power Steering, AC JDAVIS500 Build Thread

8. Thanks Hacksaw84 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This look great!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

10. Thanks Hacksaw84 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Do you mind if I copy your idea?
    I hope you do. That was the whole point of posting it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kool AC View Post
    Excellent idea. I've been looking for an alternative to the Ford Coyote pedal. Hope you don't mind but I will be copying on my build.
    Please do. I was in the same boat and figured... I can make this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks fantastic....very nice work/idea.

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

14. Likes Hacksaw84 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

16. Likes Hacksaw84 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love it! Thanks for posting.

18. Likes Hacksaw84 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    looks great!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

20. Likes Hacksaw84 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Me like... Mongo going to carve up two brake pedal pads soon...
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

22. Likes Hacksaw84 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks great but make sure you can hit the brake without also pressing the gas. Recommend installing the inboard aluminum and mocking up with carpet. Offset pedal pad to right but make sure it does not get stuck in the carpet at full throttle.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

24. Thanks Hacksaw84 thanked for this post
    Likes Scotworthy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reynolds View Post
    Looks great but make sure you can hit the brake without also pressing the gas. Recommend installing the inboard aluminum and mocking up with carpet. Offset pedal pad to right but make sure it does not get stuck in the carpet at full throttle.
    I did check the clearance and it seemed OK. I will check again when everything is in its final place and then adjust if needed.
    I actually bought your pedal kit but ended up doing this instead once I realize I didn't have to cut the arm.

Pedal1.jpgPedal2.jpg

*I don't know why it flipped my pics all around*

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same thought as Mark, it may be very close to the aluminum, especially with carpet installed. I have the std FFR pedal and made new mounting holes to shift it away from the aluminum panel as it was very tight.

I also did not have room to easily get my foot between the brake pedal and the footbox side to get on and off the throttle without catching on the brake. Shifting the brake pedal pad to the left solved that problem but when I started driving it I would catch the brake pedal while pushing the clutch pedal in. I trimmed the left set of holes off the pedal pad and that solved it for good.
    I will likely trim my clutch pad to match so I have more room to move my foot off to the left of it, dead pedal area.

FYI, I do have size 12s but wearing very skinny Vans shoes that are good for driving, not big clunky boots.
    Last edited by Murd; 12-05-2018 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hacksaw - happy to take back the pedal if you did not use it
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another tip - shift the pads for the clutch and brake one hole over to add some space between the go pedal and the brake.

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 12-08-2018 at 12:15 AM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a Coyote pedal but was also looking for something better than what came with the kit.

I made this setup for my mechanical linkage setup. It's actually a highly modified Russ Thompson pedal.

Attached Images Attached Images
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reynolds View Post
    Hacksaw - happy to take back the pedal if you did not use it
    Thanks Mark, I will probably take you up on that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Another tip - shift the pads for the clutch and brake one hole over to add some space between the go pedal and the brake.

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Murd View Post
    I had the same thought as Mark, it may be very close to the aluminum, especially with carpet installed. I have the std FFR pedal and made new mounting holes to shift it away from the aluminum panel as it was very tight.

I also did not have room to easily get my foot between the brake pedal and the footbox side to get on and off the throttle without catching on the brake. Shifting the brake pedal pad to the left solved that problem but when I started driving it I would catch the brake pedal while pushing the clutch pedal in. I trimmed the left set of holes off the pedal pad and that solved it for good.
    I will likely trim my clutch pad to match so I have more room to move my foot off to the left of it, dead pedal area.

FYI, I do have size 12s but wearing very skinny Vans shoes that are good for driving, not big clunky boots.

I will for sure pay attention to how they all work together with during final assembly and adjust as needed. I appreciate the tips and feedback.
    I also, wear a size 12.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CDXXVII;349215]Not a Coyote pedal but was also looking for something better than what came with the kit.

I made this setup for my mechanical linkage setup. It's actually a highly modified Russ Thompson pedal.

I saw something very similar and may have been yours. That was my plan and why I originally bought the Breeze pedal. Then I came up with this solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a few updates since I originally posted this. Basically just wanted more room to go right with my gas pedal. I cut more away from the base of the coyote pedal itself and trimmed up the Wilwood pad more to make sure I had total clearance. Part of this it because I expanded the right side of my footbox so wanted to be able to use that extra space with the pedal. With carpet mostly installed now I have checked clearance and the top right corner just barley touches the outer most fuzz of the carpet when fully depressed. I have also driven 20 plus miles in the neighborhood and like the additional spacing I have. Makes a size 12 shoe more manageable.

20201001_223729.jpg 20200726_121614.jpg 20200725_161635.jpg
    Michael aka @my_cobra_build on Instagram
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Base MK IV Roadster with several options. Body is Lamborghini Grigio Lynx w/ Audi Vesuvius Gray stripes. 25th Anniversary FFR wheels. Seats and interior by Intatrim.
    Gen1 Coyote w/ Comp Cams & Cobrajet manifold. Tremec TKO 600 w/ a midshift kit. 2015 IRS w/ 3.73 Torsen diff. FFR Headers, Gas N Pipes, Power steering & power brakes.