Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hub bolt size

Post Thanks / Like

Hub bolt size

Does anyone know the size, type and length of the bolts that connect the hub to the spindle. Got the hubs and the spindles but no bolts to connect them. Got most of my POL items last week but didn't know these bolts were missing. I'm starting to make some real progress and hate to lose momentum waiting on a few bolts, I will try to find some locally.

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to be a lot more specific. Pretty sure you're talking about the front suspension. Only thing holding the hubs onto the spindles is a large nut that gets torqued to 250 lbs. Like this one: https://cfc7329ad537523a5de1-b21544d...3477a_9479.jpg. But that doesn't sound like what you're asking about. Between the instruction manual and the box inventory list, the bolts are typically defined, e.g. SAE or metric, length, thread pitch, etc. Just be careful. The suspension bolts are all hardened and typically have some type of lock nut, either nylon insert or deformed.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick reply. No I'm talking about the rear spindle and hub on the irs setup. Unfortunately the paper work only lists the hub and the spindle and the manual doesn't list any bolts or assembly info on that item. The hub inserts into the spindle in a machined hole with a plate on the hub that has four threaded holes that line up with four holes in the spindle. The manual refers to donor rear end not new pieces. It's possible I looked in the wrong place any info will be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 65kid View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. No I'm talking about the rear spindle and hub on the irs setup. Unfortunately the paper work only lists the hub and the spindle and the manual doesn't list any bolts or assembly info on that item. The hub inserts into the spindle in a machined hole with a plate on the hub that has four threaded holes that line up with four holes in the spindle. The manual refers to donor rear end not new pieces. It's possible I looked in the wrong place any info will be appreciated.
    Ok, that makes more sense. I received NIB knuckles/hubs (M-5970-M, drop shipped directly from Ford Performance) for my Coupe build and they were already assembled with the bolts in place. That's why it didn't occur to me. Assumed that's how they always came. Not sure why yours came separate without the bolts. My Roadster build used zero miles donor parts, so of course they were already assembled as well. FWIW, this is what they look like. Flange head metric bolts with an added integral washer. Marked 10.9, so high strength variety. Torqued to 98 ft/lbs. Sorry, can't help with the actual size. I'd be inclined to find the actual Ford part since that's what they're designed for.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    yup those are the ones I need, will check with Ford tomorrow. The spindles and hubs came new from f5 all in separate boxes but no bolts. I know it's been said many times before but I must add my gratitude for build threads and your willingness to share your knowledge. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased my IRS from Forte's and the hubs came separate from the knuckles. I haven't yet assembled them, so I ran out to the garage to take a look at the bolts. They're M12 x 1.5 60mm long, grade 10.9 with a captive washer. Here are a few photos:

MrkuzT+bQfq5atCNI3aMvg.jpg

pkiHJyu1QRiydGH7BFoWRw.jpg

GkB2tvmESQKz0Geyt+vQhA.jpg

fullsizeoutput_4e75.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks John that's exactly the info I need. This forum is a wonderful resource.

Post Thanks / Like
    M12, 10.9 has 128 Nm as an average torque value