Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: How to powder coat the front suspension

Post Thanks / Like

How to powder coat the front suspension

So, the front suspension is raw metal and needs some paint. What does everyone do?
    I'd like to powder coat it but I'm wondering what to do with these rubber boots and greasy bits.
    Would love some tips.

Thx guys
    Steve

IMG_2562a.jpg IMG_2563a.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.eastwood.com/2k-aero-spr...ack-47968.html

I used this, for the 35 pu, it matched the satin finish exactly. Be sure to primer coat.
    Last edited by KenWilkinson; 12-02-2018 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Corection

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought about powder coating mine too but didn't like the idea of some yahoo sand blasting my ball joints. Went with Eastwood 2K Chassis Black, gloss. Same paint type Ken listed above -- just a different sheen. The Eastwood 2K rattle can paint is not your garden variety hardware paint. It is a two-part automotive paint that is very durable and resists rock chips. It matches my FFR powder coated chassis perfectly and easy to get a great looking finish. It's expensive but you get what you pay for with paint and this one is a great paint for small parts. And did I mention it has a great fan pattern from the trick nozzle.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Those parts can be powder coated, but it's not particularly easy. As you already guessed, the rubber or silicone boots have to be removed. If you have rebuildable joints, you can take them apart.

You'll have to remove as much grease as possible. At 450*F, the grease will melt, and run down the part and make a mess. You have to position the part in the oven so if the grease does run, it won't ruin the finish.

The parts do not have to be sand blasted. They need to be prepped the same way as you would for paint. Wire brush the rust, sand off the welding slag, soften all the sharp edges. Clean with hot water and a good cleaner, like Simple Green, or Purple Power. Then wipe down with paint thinner. Once clean, handle them while wearing rubber gloves.

For <$100 or so, you can put an oven in your garage, and coat your own parts. Eastwood is having a sale on their basic kit. If you do the work yourself, you'll save a ton of time and money. And you'll be able to do parts like these, where a commercial coater will tell you it can't be done.

Note, if you spray the parts with a rust converter first - like POR-15 - the powder will not stick. On new parts, there's no need for it, anyway.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

5. Likes Mark Eaton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, that's helpful.
    For the Eastwood paint, what primer would you recommend? I have picked up a couple of cans of the hot rod satin black on your recommendation Ken, just anticipating I'll have to touch up the chassis in spots at some point.

Bob, I have the powder coat kit from Eastwood along with their small oven. I could do a couple of the parts in that oven but the larger upper control arm won't fit. If I go this route, how do I get the blue rubber boot (that's shown in the picture above) back on? Seems like there's some metal wire or something that's holding it. Thanks for the tip on the powder coating not adhering to POR.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, I used Eastwood's Chassis Black primer.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

8. Thanks FF33rod thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I put a standard kitchen oven in my garage for this. I bought it second hand for a few bux.

Most boots are just pushed on, with no retainer. If yours has a wire retainer, just cut it off. You can re-install with safety wire.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, before you cut that "wire" make sure it's not a spiral lock -- a spring retainer that wraps around the boot with overlapping ends.

11. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you use the chassis paint from eastwood do not use acetone to clean the painted surface. About a couple of weeks after I had painted mine I wiped them down with acetone to clean them and just wiped off the paint

13. Thanks FF33rod thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Steve, before you cut that "wire" make sure it's not a spiral lock -- a spring retainer that wraps around the boot with overlapping ends.
    Good call, thank you. I took a closer look at these last night and indeed they were spiral retainers. Difficult to pick up with my aging eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I had all the same concerns as everybody is making on this thread. Wanted the durability of powder coat and spoke to F5 a couple times about this. THEY SAID,,, ok to powder coat as long as the grease was cleaned out very well. I used solvents and compressed air several times and really, not much came out. And the boots came off, yes, spiral wire wraps. Powder coat guy said No Problem. They came out super, bright silver, installed on 33' and all greased up. Not near go kart yet but all seems very well.

16. Thanks FF33rod, Chris C thanked for this post
    Likes Chris C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyAndy View Post
    I had all the same concerns as everybody is making on this thread. Wanted the durability of powder coat and spoke to F5 a couple times about this. THEY SAID,,, ok to powder coat as long as the grease was cleaned out very well. I used solvents and compressed air several times and really, not much came out. And the boots came off, yes, spiral wire wraps. Powder coat guy said No Problem. They came out super, bright silver, installed on 33' and all greased up. Not near go kart yet but all seems very well.
    I agree with statement as well. I was advised by powder coater to leave in solvent for a day or two and then dry with air as much as possible. Mine also turned out good and I have had no as of yet.
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

18. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So pretty happy with the results.
    Took off the boots that were already installed, getting the spiral clips back on should be interesting.
    Scuffed up the metal, got rid of as much welding splatter as I could, used some of the eastwood tape to mask off the balljoint stuff, used tinfoil to protect the larger areas and went for it...
    Used the Prismatic Powders "super chrome", very chrome like - better than the similar Eastwood product that I had bought a month or two ago. Need to add the clear coat yet....
    IMG_2572a.jpg IMG_2574a.jpg IMG_2576a.jpg

20. Likes JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that "chrome" PC came out great! The chrome my powder coater uses is junk -- he never could get it to work right. Wanted to do my firewall with it but had to settle for a silver finish. Of course this is the same guy who said he has to sand blast the parts are the PC will never stick.

22. Thanks FF33rod thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that "chrome" PC came out great! The chrome my powder coater uses is junk -- he never could get it to work right. Wanted to do my firewall with it but had to settle for a silver finish. Of course this is the same guy who said he has to sand blast the parts are the PC will never stick.
    My powder coater didn't recommend the chrome either. He said it tarnishes pretty bad in our climate here. I went with the silver too.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACMAN View Post
    My powder coater didn't recommend the chrome either. He said it tarnishes pretty bad in our climate here. I went with the silver too.
    I guess that's why they recommend to put a clear over top of it. I did that step today. Will see how it holds up, if all else fails I'll powder coat them satin black some time down the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    For exposed tubes like that, I would consider some 3M shield for the leading edge. For a simple tube, it would be pretty easy to install yourself. Or maybe spray on some Plasti-Dip.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The chrome or even silver powder coats are made up of aluminum particles so unless you clear coat, it will turn grey over time as the aluminum oxidizes. I always sandblast before powdercoat as it give a much better and uniform surface for the powder coat to bond to (I do that for paint on hard parts too). It will also rough up edges and nooks and crannies better around welds that are difficult to sand. I've never found a secondary film required to protect a properly prepared and applied power coat, it's extremely durable. I think that is why the FFR powercoated frames had issues at one time as they were not being sandblasted but cleaned and then some kind of primer applied before PC (from my vague memory anyway).

I used brake cleaner and compressed air to remove any grease before powder coating my control arms and had no issues.

27. Thanks FF33rod thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In addition to what has already been stated, any laser cut parts need to have the oxidation removed off all the cut edges as the paint (or even powder) will start to flake off. This can be done with some green or red scotchbrite.
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

29. Thanks FF33rod thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had my control arms powdered. Did anyone else have grease squeeze out the back side of the ball joints when you lubed them? I was not expecting that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JOP33 View Post
    In addition to what has already been stated, any laser cut parts need to have the oxidation removed off all the cut edges as the paint (or even powder) will start to flake off. This can be done with some green or red scotchbrite.
    Yeah, good point, I have been doing this already as it seemed somewhat intuitive - the dark colour tipped me off to something being on the surface other than bare metal - but it's good to mention it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KenWilkinson View Post
    https://www.eastwood.com/2k-aero-spr...ack-47968.html

I used this, for the 35 pu, it matched the satin finish exactly. Be sure to primer coat.
    Ken

This stuff looks like the best alternative to powder coating. When did you get your kit? I just picked mine up and this Rat Rod color looks like the current powder coating FFR is using but I am not 100% sure - it is not gloss like the chassis we had at the build school.

Great advice here - thanks all!

Cheers

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Dave View Post
    Ken

This stuff looks like the best alternative to powder coating. When did you get your kit? I just picked mine up and this Rat Rod color looks like the current powder coating FFR is using but I am not 100% sure - it is not gloss like the chassis we had at the build school.
    I'm #1104 and have the satin black powder coat as well. You are correct, the Rat Rod black from Eastwood is an excellent match - advice from the forum here. Also, if you want a powder coat to match, then check out Prismatic Powder "Silk Satin Black", again advice from the forum here I believe and it's pretty much perfect.

34. Thanks Kiwi Dave thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    FFR must have changed their PC spec as mine is shinny like my heinie and Eastwood's Gloss Chassis Black is a perfect match. So for those of you that have the "gloss" black powder coating version and want touch up paint you won't go wrong with Eastwood's Chassis Black in gloss.

36. Likes Kiwi Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    FFR must have changed their PC spec as mine is shinny like my heinie and Eastwood's Gloss Chassis Black is a perfect match. So for those of you that have the "gloss" black powder coating version and want touch up paint you won't go wrong with Eastwood's Chassis Black in gloss.
    Yes, they have changed their spec and they are easily identified. Thank you NAZ and F33Rod - just the information I needed!

Cheers

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Eastwood 2K Chassis Black, gloss